Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovett is done with college basketball.

He will play for Aquila Basket Trento in Italy. Not top level (i.e., Euroleague) but pretty good start if he sticks around. With LoVett you never know, he comes and goes.

Were you ever a pre-season DPOY also?

giphy.gif

I can’t wait for the season to start, this team has me excited, regardless of the outcome they will be very fun to watch.

Here is my view on how this coming season is shaping up. There are only 3 players IMO who are all but guaranteed to hold starting positions, but more importantly, a critical role on the rotation: Frazier, Kipper, and Ayo. Beyond that, the staff needs to find some consistent contributors at the rest of the positions. Given that Kipper is almost certain to play out of position at PF (by necessity), that leaves SF/SG and a down-low/inside player.

Both positions are wide open, and most likely will lead to multiple experimentation on the rotation and lineups. Had he not been injured, De La Rosa would have been the down-low/inside player. With the injury, his future utilization is in jeopardy, depending on his recovery. So one of the bigs (Giorgi, Kane, or Higgs) HAS to emerge, because IMO we can't hold much ground given Maui and other challenges early on the schedule by expecting Kipper to play that role.

At the SG/SF (3) position, starting the season, I expect AJ and Feliz to be the main 2 players that UI will depend on. DW will be a critical part, but I see his role more at SG, playing a very crucial role with Ayo/Frazier, those 3 players covering the 1-2 positions. JMO.
Feliz is a point guard.

Feliz is a point guard.

And so is Frazier. I think both Feliz and Ayo are more combo guards IMO. But independent of the that, I expect we will play 3 guards by necessity, so the 3rd guard position (Frazier and Ayo are guaranteed starters IMO) will be likely covered by either AJ or Feliz starting the season. I believe when Frazier, Ayo, and Feliz are in the same lineup you will see all 3 getting touches at PG.

I feel Frazier is more of a combo than Feliz.

Starting three points who can also score is a good thing. I like Feliz at the point with Ayo and Frazier attacking/facilitating from the wing although all three will run the point.

I will tell you if I change my mind after seeing them scrimmage on Friday and Saturday.

Last edited:
I feel Frazier is more of a combo than Feliz.

Starting three points who can also score is a good thing. I like Feliz at the point with Ayo and Frazier attacking/facilitating from the wing although all three will run the point.

I will tell you if I change my mind after seeing them scrimmage on Friday and Saturday.

I feel the opposite. I have not seen Feliz much other than tape, but some people I trust have seen him and consider him a combo. Actually, Feliz himself considers him a combo guard. Heard positive things about him, I think he surprises.

Last edited:
I was just replying to the notion of Feliz being a SG/SF in this offense.

Never said that Feliz is a SG/SF, just that he will likely fill the 3 position (which is usually either a SG or SF). Per my previous post, I think Illinois will start the season playing 3 guards by necessity. I think Frazier and Ayo are guaranteed starters and the 3rd guard position (3) will either be AJ or Feliz. My guess is that AJ may get the starting nod in early games given his 3 year experience in college and 1 year under BU, but Feliz will get significant minutes as well. What I mean by start of the season is really Maui time, not the exhibition game.

Later in the season, and depending on his progress, there is a chance that we go with a more traditional SF at the 3, like Tevian Jones, but that would take some adjustment time by the freshman. Unfortunately, I think Tevian may be utilized at the PF position (not his real position) backing up Kipper (who will also play once again out of position).

Last edited:
Don't see playing a 6'1" and a 6'2" when you have a problem with size in the front court. DaMonte with his 6'11' wing span and Ayo will play with one of the above. Special matchups or a press may have them playing together but it won't be the std IMO. BU didn't recruit 6'5" - 6'7" with length to ride the bench particularly when you have two proven shooters with AJ and AG. However think we are all in the dark until we actually see them play.

Reactions: AEX

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Later in the season, and depending on his progress, there is a chance that we go with a more traditional SF at the 3, like Tevian Jones, but that would take some adjustment time by the freshman. Unfortunately, I think Tevian may be utilized at the PF position (not his real position) backing up Kipper (who will also play once again out of position).

Spot on. Our backcourt is loaded (tempered by inexperience), so 3 guards will be on the floor, most of the time. Jones is almost certainly going to play a lot of 4 (it is what it is). At the risk of stating the obvious, he's going to have to play his way into more playing time. This is a great "problem" to have.

Spot on. Our backcourt is loaded (tempered by inexperience), so 3 guards will be on the floor, most of the time. Jones is almost certainly going to play a lot of 4 (it is what it is). At the risk of stating the obvious, he's going to have to play his way into more playing time. This is a great "problem" to have.

You think its an issue this year...if we get Shannon/Liddell both or one over the other, next year wont get any easier...then throw in QG possibly? Good problems to have once again if they happen.

jmilt7

Waukegan
The Finke bros, JCL, DJW, and THT and Conditt at ISU are some guys I’ll be keeping an eye on this year. Interested to see how they do. Any other former Illini or guys with Illini connections you guys will watch/keep track of?

A few more based mostly on whether they took visits (OV or UV) or in home visits. And again, not diligently researched, mostly going off my memory which is always a dangerous thing to do.

Bryan Penn-Johnson
Bryce Golden
Javon Pickett (is he playing this year, I forget)
Tamall Pearson (at least one CB to us)
Flo Thamba
Valdir Manuel (he was supposed to take a visit but I don't remember if he ever did)
Courtney Ramey
D.J. Stewart

Besides Ward at MSU, and Happ at Wisconsin, are there any other notable big guys we go up against in conference? Last year size definitely bothered the team but with more depth/experience/talent on the perimeter I feel that inexperience inside isn't that detrimental. Furthermore, team's big guys are athletic.

Funny how many dwell on who isn't on the team when the guys who are were highly rated entering college. Let's be grateful for the high-character young men on the team and trust in the development that occurs.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Besides Ward at MSU, and Happ at Wisconsin, are there any other notable big guys we go up against in conference?

Tyler Cook and Garza owned us. PSU's bigs too. And that's just off the top of my head. We were terrible at post D and rebounding. Can't get much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.