Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
That B1G media video of Underwood/Frazier and Jordan was well done. Jordan is made for TV. Those were no Kohl's suits that those boys had on either.

Agreed, especially about Jordan: He really is good. He sounds like he could either turn to coaching, commentating, or both in time.

I saw there is an open practice tomorrow. Are these things usually packed? I want to come watch but live 2 hours away and don’t want to make arrangements for someone to watch my kids and drive if not going to be able to. Thanks in advance.....

We are going to get plowed this season. Georgetown-Gonzaga-Notre Dame-UNLV- Mizzou followed with the Big Ten schedule which it feels like we haven't had a good Big 10 year since JFG's first. If the team sticks together we steal a few Wins

This is very likely. On paper, we have the worst frontcourt (PF/C positions) out of any P5 team in NCAA basketball. I appreciate the positive posters but reality is reality.

We fall for this every fall and are left disappointed in the winter.

But.... I truly think this is a team that can find a way. So much athletic and shooting ability. If we can get anything out of our bigs? Game on!!

The practice against Vanderbilt and the game against Georgetown could be pretty good confidence builders if they have some success. Vandy has two promising guards and quite a bit of quality size. Georgetown has a stud in the middle which is obviously our question mark. Both should be good measuring sticks. By the time Illinois finishes the Maui trip, the team will have gained some great experience very quickly.

This is very likely. On paper, we have the worst frontcourt (PF/C positions) out of any P5 team in NCAA basketball. I appreciate the positive posters but reality is reality.
If you consider the frontcourt to be Kane and Giorgi, then yes. If you put in Kipper and a healthy De La Rosa, then we're not even close to being the worst, but probably still in the middle of the pack. There's very little room for error though.

I recognize the distinction you're making, and I still disagree.

Very interesting data on the other B1G teams, I appreciate you bringing actual numbers to the discussion, I just think the extent of the smallness on the roster goes deeper than what you presented.

Though I realize now that I forgot about Zach Griffith, who is only 6'6" but is a definite post player. That makes me feel a bit better about the looks our guys are able to get in practice. A bit. But if a student manager turned walk-on has to play, and I honestly think he might at some point, that's a real bad scene.
Zach Griffith will not play in games! Saw him play quite a bit and was a nice small school player, but far, far from a Division One player.

The same ND that lost most of its scoring from last year to graduation? The same ND that lost to Penn State in the NIT? The same ND that lost to Ball State at home?

We have a much better chance of beating ND than people give us credit for.
And Georgetown has averaged a whopping 15 wins over the last three seasons with no NCAA appearances, so why we would feel like we are going to get plowed by them is odd to me.

We are going to get plowed this season. Georgetown-Gonzaga-Notre Dame-UNLV- Mizzou followed with the Big Ten schedule which it feels like we haven't had a good Big 10 year since JFG's first. If the team sticks together we steal a few Wins

That's what the smart money will say --we're likely to have the same results as last year. We lost too many guys, replaced them with a bunch of freshman, and other than Ayo, don't have an impact freshman. For that reason, we should fly under if we're better than advertised. I am really hoping we see buy-in, because even if we're so-so, or can't win on the road, we'll be fun to watch. And having so many freshman, it'll make for an exciting future.

Zach Griffith will not play in games! Saw him play quite a bit and was a nice small school player, but far, far from a Division One player.

The thought of A) he will play B) he is a definate post player, either way at Illinois is preposterous to say the least.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
No Illini on the Preseason All-Big Ten Team:

2018-19 PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Carsen Edwards, Jr., G, Purdue

2018-19 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM
Romeo Langford, Fr., G, Indiana
Juwan Morgan, Sr., F, Indiana
Anthony Cowan Jr., Jr., G, Maryland
Charles Matthews, Sr., G, Michigan
Nick Ward, Jr., F, Michigan State
Cassius Winston, Jr., G, Michigan State
Jordan Murphy, Sr., F, Minnesota
James Palmer Jr., Sr., F, Nebraska
CARSEN EDWARDS, Jr., G, Purdue
ETHAN HAPP, Sr., F, Wisconsin

Unanimous selections in ALL CAPS

(https://247sports.com/college/minne...All-Big-Ten-Conference-Predictions-123177006/)

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I think you are completely wrong,

Maybe he meant we..as in Illini fans....are going to get plowed while watching some of these games?
people_who_take_being_drunk_to_a_new_level_03.gif

Deleted member 29907

D
No Illini on the Preseason All-Big Ten Team:

2018-19 PRESEASON BIG TEN PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Carsen Edwards, Jr., G, Purdue

2018-19 PRESEASON ALL-BIG TEN TEAM
Romeo Langford, Fr., G, Indiana
Juwan Morgan, Sr., F, Indiana
Anthony Cowan Jr., Jr., G, Maryland
Charles Matthews, Sr., G, Michigan
Nick Ward, Jr., F, Michigan State
Cassius Winston, Jr., G, Michigan State
Jordan Murphy, Sr., F, Minnesota
James Palmer Jr., Sr., F, Nebraska
CARSEN EDWARDS, Jr., G, Purdue
ETHAN HAPP, Sr., F, Wisconsin

Unanimous selections in ALL CAPS

(https://247sports.com/college/minne...All-Big-Ten-Conference-Predictions-123177006/)
We better find a better way to defend Happ this year. Last year was ridiculously bad and somehow other teams found a way to limit him some.

Deleted member 29907

D
Hack-a-Happ
I mean we literally let him take the ball up court and walk his way to the basket. We double him, he passes to the open guy. Really frustrating that we let him go big against us.

With all the hype about the future of this program, wouldn't it be great to bring back Midnight Madness at Huff Hall. It would be PACKED!

Maybe I'm four too many beers in, but I have some optimism going into the season. I think experience in college basketball is really overrated and what is the point of bad experience anyway? Maybe my tune will change a lot when games start or maybe the images of paltry interior defense have stuck into my brain more than Black's methodical back-in/fadeaway (and commendable 3pt %). I do believe our pieces fit more of Underwood's style. Maybe that parlays into 2-3 extra wins. Maybe Black's scoring gets absorbed easier than we think. A lot of maybes. But don't call me.

I would love some news or comments from the open practice. I'm dying out here in NC for some news. Oh this should go on the other thread.

This maybe belongs on the other thread - sorry about that. My observations of open practice: (1) Much of the practice was spent on implementing Underwood's systems. (2) Underwood definitely is the one running the practices and he barks at the players pretty hard. He does make an occasional comment praising a player, but most of his instructional comments are of a critical nature. The assistant coaches take a more encouraging approach with their comments. (3) The freshman are naturally behind in knowing what to do. It looked like Samba was the farthest behind, while Ayo and Giorgi appeared to be the most comfortable with the systems. (3) The practice started off with some calisthenics, etc. that were directed by Fletch. Adonis did the exercises along with everybody else, but he didn't participate in the rest of the practice. He did, however, watch, help and encourage the players that did participate. His efforts were largely directed at Samba. (4) Higgs watched practice without a boot on. He was on a bike for probably 15-30 minutes. (5) Ayo is obviously elite. When things break down, he will be able to get to the rim. (6) Feliz is really solid. I'm guessing he will play the majority of the game, whether he starts or not. I'd say the same for Jordan and Williams. (7) Giorgi has fun. (8) Kipper looked good as did Frazier - nothing surprising there. (9) Our frontcourt is definitely a concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.