Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think BU is too hard on these players you are soft. Your kids are soft, your parents are/were soft, you like wine coolers and light beer, cuddling, and watch Lifetime movies when you are home alone.

Hmm.... Well I like mixing wine coolers with light beer, prefer spooning to cuddling and the Hallmark channel > Lifetime.

Phew, for a second there I thought I was in trouble.

Deleted member 29907

D
I must admit that Underwood's schtick does get a little ridiculous at times. I don't mind a coach demanding excellence and pushing his guys but I also think that he crosses the line of what's helpful to becoming harmful. Someone like Samba is a perfect example of how Underwood's coaching seems to hinder a players confidence instead of help. I genuinely think that the great coaches learn how to tap into whatever the individual kids needs for motivation. The idea of one size fits all and that all kids will respond to being a drill sergeant just doesn't work.
They won't be complaining if they work it right and start getting monster lob dunks in front of a crazy loud home crowd...

Deleted member 29907

D
If you think BU is too hard on these players you are soft. Your kids are soft, your parents are/were soft, you like wine coolers and light beer, cuddling, and watch Lifetime movies when you are home alone.
Or from UNC? Class was too hard. This is a 600 level class worth 6 credits at UNC.

Glad to see Rob liked this post - his opinion on this is probably worth more than everyone else on here combined.

Too much emphasis on soft versus tough as far as coaching approaches. There is also an inherent bias, as nobody wants to be "soft", but there are different approaches as far as absolute "encouragement" vs. "toughness" and a wide range in between. That is less relevant, the key is the ability to motivate players and get the most out of their abilities. Most successful coaches understand what motivates players and often adopt hybrid approaches depending on their players.

Last edited:
Saban is so hard on his players yet they get the best players and win every single year, get the heck outta here with this “Underwood is too hard on his players” “he can’t motivate players”. I don’t know about you but this team seems motivated after the deadweight left the program.

The player's name will remain anonymous, but I was told how tough Coach K at Duke is on his players. The player had no idea that he would be that way.

Saban is so hard on his players yet they get the best players and win every single year, get the heck outta here with this “Underwood is too hard on his players” “he can’t motivate players”. I don’t know about you but this team seems motivated after the deadweight left the program.

It’s much easier to listen to a coach constantly harass you when he’s a proven winner. Underwood is not proven yet.

It’s much easier to listen to a coach constantly harass you when he’s a proven winner. Underwood is not proven yet.
Id like to qualify this somewhat: BU has a winning track record everywhere he as coached so far except for year 1 at Illinois. Before last season he was 109-27 in 5 seasons. That’s pretty good and that’s why so many were excited when he came aboard....

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
It has more to do with adapting to the times. Tough love is not what many kids are coming here for. We don't have to think its a good thing, but it is a fact.

Actually last year's team seemed to give great effort in games as far as I could see. Know nothing about practice effort but seemed more like a problem of confidence in what they were doing (maybe buy in?). May be easier to teach frosh than to change previous systems. Just remember how high everyone seemed to be on Kipper's defense in the previous year and then he was a liability last year?? Have trouble believing it was attitude.

Actually last year's team seemed to give great effort in games as far as I could see. Know nothing about practice effort but seemed more like a problem of confidence in what they were doing (maybe buy in?). May be easier to teach frosh than to change previous systems. Just remember how high everyone seemed to be on Kipper's defense in the previous year and then he was a liability last year?? Have trouble believing it was attitude.
Hey, stop that, we're trying to revise history over here ok? The only reason we lost last year is because we had LOSERS. LOSERS can't be coached and have bad attitudes. They all left and now we only have WINNERS. Kipper was a defensive liability last year because he was playing with LOSERS and they dragged him down. He's going to be the B1G player of the year this year because of all the WINNERS we have.

dont understand this comment...all early comments by BU have been muted on Samba. He's developing and learning the game.
He's talking about how everyone was all about Kane being that diamond in the rough find that was going to be just fine starting for us, until he started practicing and reports coming out about him being way behind and Giorgi being advanced.

He's talking about how everyone was all about Kane being that diamond in the rough find that was going to be just fine starting for us, until he started practicing and reports coming out about him being way behind and Giorgi being advanced.

Perfect response, thanks. Speak about diamonds in the rough, a poster over on Scout who was at Ubben on Saturday said that Andres Feliz was the best player on the floor. Can anybody that was there comment on this??

Status
Not open for further replies.