Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t remember the last time an Illinois team clearly outplayed the preseason predictions. I’m sure it’s happened, but do we need to go back to the Matt Heldman era to find one?"

2008-2009. Started the season unranked, got as high as #18 and finished #23.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Some good info here...good to see the spirited nature coming out from the players

https://dailyillini.com/sports/mens...018/10/22/illini-get-heated-in-open-practice/

Thanks. Am a little concerned though about the 9 turnovers by Ayo (granted it is a practice) and the last paragraph under "Quiet Illini" "Underwood got on his team for their lack of communication, saying their transition defense was horrible because no one on either team was talking." And a few other things. But again, it's practice.

Also, and this means nothing really, just kind of talking to myself, but just curious about the author's timetable. The dateline of the article is today (10/22) and yet he says three weeks until the start of the season and 22 days until the first exhibition game. I count 11 days for that and, well, he is a little more accurate with the season opener (Looks more like 2 and a half weeks, but who's counting?). Or am I am counting incorrectly?

Last edited:

Deleted member 746094

D
I am not sure fighting in front of a recruit is good news

I agree. I loved where it was going until he said punches were thrown. Especially concerning coming from Kipper as no matter the circumstances an upperclassman exchanging punches with a freshman is not in any way shape or form what a leader would do. And this happened in front of our most talented recruit(and parents) left on our board? Bad show and reflects poorly overall.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this isn't the first or last fight that has ever happened at a college basketball practice. In fact, I would bet that Timme has even been a part of a few during high school. Things happen.

I agree. I loved where it was going until he said punches were thrown. Especially concerning coming from Kipper as no matter the circumstances an upperclassman exchanging punches with a freshman is not in any way shape or form what a leader would do. And this happened in front of our most talented recruit(and parents) left on our board? Bad show and reflects poorly overall.

Probably a bad thing, especially if you have a recruit visiting. As soft as we've been the past few seasons, having enough pride to get angry isn't the worst thing that could happen. But a good coach knows how to turn that into fuel, not outbursts.

Deleted member 746094

D
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this isn't the first or last fight that has ever happened at a college basketball practice. In fact, I would bet that Timme has even been a part of a few during high school. Things happen.

“Fights” amongst teammates are typically pushing, shoving, and jawing back and forth. I can’t imagine punches being thrown in practices happens frequently around the country and at your top level programs it definitely wouldn’t be tolerated. It shows lack of discipline and composure. Not competitive intensity. There is a HUGE difference.

Was at the practice - I believe that Kipper was the only one that threw a punch, and it was 1 punch, not "punches". Fortunately for him, it didn't land. While Tevian, didn't back down and wanted to go after Kipper, Adonis restrained Kipper while several players restrained Tevian. Several people around me commented that it didn't probably look good to the Timme family. At the end of practice, Kipper had his arm around Tevian as they were in a huddle listening to Underwood.

“Fights” amongst teammates are typically pushing, shoving, and jawing back and forth. I can’t imagine punches being thrown in practices happens frequently around the country and at your top level programs it definitely wouldn’t be tolerated. It shows lack of discipline and composure. Not competitive intensity. There is a HUGE difference.

I agree that it definitely is a bigger deal than a shoving match, but I honestly still think it's something that happens relatively frequently. I'm not saying that it isn't something that shouldn't be addressed (and I don't expect it to go unpunished), but I also don't think it really says much about Kipper as a person or leader.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
I think the incident can easily be spun to Timme as intensity and we become a family again right away. And you don't want to see anything like that happen in a game, but I will go out and say I am glad to see this team bringing intensity to practice and have some "fight" in them. Illinois basketball has looked pretty soft for too long.

Deleted member 746094

D
Was at the practice - I believe that Kipper was the only one that threw a punch, and it was 1 punch, not "punches". Fortunately for him, it didn't land. While Tevian, didn't back down and wanted to go after Kipper, Adonis restrained Kipper while several players restrained Tevian. Several people around me commented that it didn't probably look good to the Timme family. At the end of practice, Kipper had his arm around Tevian as they were in a huddle listening to Underwood.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess the good news is that it didn’t appear to linger beyond that moment.

Silver lining- I think Adonis could be a huge addition to this team even if he doesn’t make an impact with his play on the court until mid season. Sounds like a real leader that can help the youthful talent gel sooner rather than later.

Deleted member 29907

D
I think the incident can easily be spun to Timme as intensity and we become a family again right away. And you don't want to see anything like that happen in a game, but I will go out and say I am glad to see this team bringing intensity to practice and have some "fight" in them. Illinois basketball has looked pretty soft for too long.
Reminds me of the days of KNunn attitude. Loved the Penn State game.
1540226224321.png

Kipper gets chewed out by coach for lack of hustle then throws a punch at a freshman who it sounds like may have been out-hustling him. That's a bad look for a junior you're counting on to help lead the team.

I don't know about that. Obviously, fighting in practices does not nor help image but independent of that, we lacked skills but we did have some players who were tough, probably tougher than most on this team. Ray Rice was certainly very tough as were Nunn and Black. Too aggressive and tough at times. Players like Tate, Cosby, Starks and Thorne were not soft either. Our problems have been different that personal toughness.

Kipper gets chewed out by coach for lack of hustle then throws a punch at a freshman who it sounds like may have been out-hustling him. That's a bad look for a junior you're counting on to help lead the team.
Good look for Tev though.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Haha, sure
The same can be said to the incident being completely off-putting to Timme. I think more important than the incident itself is how BU chose to handle it. We weren't given all that info so who knows.

We are so desperate for anyone to sign, we over analyze every little detail about each visit we have right now. If Timme decides to go elsewhere, it will be for a lot more reasons then the incident in practice.

If Timme decides to go elsewhere, it will be for a lot more reasons then the incident in practice.

Sure, it can be for many other reasons, yet that does not mean that we could spin that incident into a positive.

man, this fan base really takes something small and runs with it. “Two guys fought in practice?! Oh no, recruits are going to think it’s a negative atmosphere. We are never ever going to get anybody to come here!!!” It’s a physical sport, fights are going to happen even on the same team. Take a chill pill and go watch ping pong or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.