Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is, for a lot of people (myself included), there is no possible out outcome against Illinois Wesleyan that increases my confidence.
I don't mean the outcome will increase the confidence. Just watching basketball in general will soothe the soul. For me, no matter who the opponent is, it is always nice to see the team on the court for the first few times in a year. Takes my mind at least PARTIALLY off the shortcomings elsewhere within Illini Athletics (cough Football cough). If they're a trainwreck, then it can amplify them. Basketball isn't in the place I want it to be at right now, but I still love the beginning of the season.

My guess is, for a lot of people (myself included), there is no possible out outcome against Illinois Wesleyan that increases my confidence.

I do not think the outcome will lead to reaching any conclusions but it will sure be exciting to see the team (and a lot of new players) for the first time.

A dartboard would be more accurate at this point.

I agree with this sentiment. I find it impossibly hard to figure out what's a reasonable prediction. Too many newcomers to be optimistic, but it's an intriguing team with our guard options, and potentially a seismic shift in culture. We all wanted a program changing recruit, but it might be we have one in Trent. Incredible attitude, and I fully expect he'll be our best player, possibly by a country mile, making everyone better. For me, his leadership could be the X factor we need.

We might have a serviceable front court with De LaRosa and Giorgi handling most of the 5 duties. If it all comes together, I could see us landing above .500 in conference play. Wouldn't predict it, but I think our upside is that high.

This is going to sound odd, but for me, the key game is how we lose to Gonzaga. The Zags should be an elite team with potentially 2 first rounders. If these guys fight to the end, continue to try and execute even when out-matched, and don't roll over, then I'll believe they have a chance to turn it around this season.

For now, though, I'm not a believer. Too much deterioration in the culture in the Groce years to think we've turned the corner. Gonna have to see some pride and execution on the court to change my mind.

Also, not sure where to put this, but I decided to look at if other Big Ten teams were playing at neutral sites located in markets they have a vested interest in throughout their non-conference seasons, too. I know that's always debated around here, so I found the following for the last two years (2018-19 and 2017-18):

Illinois: Chicago (2018), St. Louis (2018), Chicago (2019), St. Louis (2019)
Indiana: Indianapolis (2018), Indianapolis (2019)
Iowa: Des Moines (2018), Sioux Falls, SD (2018), Des Moines (2019)
Maryland: Baltimore (2019)
Michigan: Detroit (2018)
Michigan State: Detroit (2018)
Minnesota: US Bank Stadium, Minneapolis (2019)
Nebraska: Kansas City (2019), Sioux Falls, SD (2019)
Northwestern:
Ohio State:
Penn State: Atlantic City, NJ (2019)
Purdue: Indianapolis (2018), Indianapolis (2019)
Rutgers:
Wisconsin:

No real "agenda" with the post, but I found it interesting. Most teams in the conference are at least hitting one of their main markets/fan base sources at least every couple of years. So, even if attendance continues to falter while we're rebuilding, I think it's important to maintain a presence at the UC and, obviously, the Braggin' Rights Game.

Lots of people on this board treat freshman bigs like lottery tickets. Before they know what will happen, they enjoy living the fantasy where we hit it big. But once they scratch it off and see that it's just another ordinary freshman big, they want to toss it aside and get a new one.

Pretty good analogy, similar to the point I made yesterday. Some people will always think that the "new" (lower ranked) recruits are better than the players they replace. IF they do not pan out, a "new" recruit will take their place with regards to expectations and they will move to the "players who will get replaced" group.

We are going to get plowed this season. Georgetown-Gonzaga-Notre Dame-UNLV- Mizzou followed with the Big Ten schedule which it feels like we haven't had a good Big 10 year since JFG's first. If the team sticks together we steal a few Wins
IMO I think the non conference schedule will be a plus for this team of young inexperienced players leading up to the Big Ten conference schedule. Reason being that they will play against tough, high level programs, and highly touted players. They will learn fairly quickly what it will be like to compete on the college level against their opponents and the type of effort that will be demanded of them on a game to game basis if they want to be successful. Also, I feel it will help with recruiting because Brad Underwood and staff can say we play these games against so and so; and the kids want to play in these games against what is publicized and hyped as the big matchup teams. So I think it's a help. Just my opinion!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
The most important question I have, now that BU has "his" players and the reports that the locker room is tight, is how does this team respond to adversity?
There will absolutely be some bad losses and I hope their drive to win pushes them even closer together rather than creating strife.

I think we need to watch these kids play a game first before we start trying to judge their abilities on the court and calling them the worst anything. I say reserve judgment first and then make your decisions. People make judgements before even seeing the product on the floor. Maybe on an individual basis they may not seem very good. But this is a TEAM sport. As a team they may be great. I keep hearing about BIGS. Golden State doesn't have a problem being the best team in professional basketball without a true BIG. Draymond Green is awesome. Stephen Curry wasn't highly touted but Is one of the best to ever play the game to me. You can't judge heart or drive to be the best. Michael Jordan got cut from a basketball team in high school. The G.O.A.T! IJS.... lets reserve judgment.
Steph Curry rankings

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181026-102538_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181026-102538_Chrome.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 311
I think we need to watch these kids play a game first before we start trying to judge their abilities on the court and calling them the worst anything. I say reserve judgment first and then make your decisions. People make judgements before even seeing the product on the floor. Maybe on an individual basis they may not seem very good. But this is a TEAM sport. As a team they may be great. I keep hearing about BIGS. Golden State doesn't have a problem being the best team in professional basketball without a true BIG. Draymond Green is awesome. Stephen Curry wasn't highly touted but Is one of the best to ever play the game to me. You can't judge heart or drive to be the best. Michael Jordan got cut from a basketball team in high school. The G.O.A.T! IJS.... lets reserve judgment.
Steph Curry rankings

Can we please stop with these Flyin' Illini, 2005 Illini, Golden State Warriors, Steph Curry, and Michael Jordan comparisons? They have nothing to do with current team. As mentioned many times, just height and Bigs is not the problem. Certainly, Adonis, Giorgi, Kane have plenty of height and are bigs. We do not simply lack height/bigs. The talent differential with those examples you (and others) bring up amounts to somehow winning the lottery. Actually, there are probably better chances that we win the lottery than this team is the Golden State Warriors of college basketball.

As for Michael Jordan, by the time he reached senior year, he was a McD AA averaging a triple double 29.2 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 10.1 assists and was one of the most highly sought recruits. We do not have Michael Jordan coming in.

Fellow Ilini Faithful,

Wanted to share this video below of a college analytics expert who takes time discussing BU's pressure denial defense as it relates to the four factors of basketball. Definitely worth your time and will hopefully educate you on the defensive system that is employed. BU is contrasted with Tony Bennett and his Pack Line Defense. Segment starts at 5:10 and ends around 8:06.

A takeaway I have from this is that the increased length and athleticism should help mitigate any concerns at the 5 spot. Illinois was top 5 team in defensive turnover rate (second I believe to SFA), and has a legitimate chance of finishing first this year. If fouling goes down then I fully expect transition points and efficiency to increase as well.

BU really knows his X's and O's and a second year in the system for the players and coaches should be evident.

I agree with this sentiment. I find it impossibly hard to figure out what's a reasonable prediction. Too many newcomers to be optimistic, but it's an intriguing team with our guard options, and potentially a seismic shift in culture. We all wanted a program changing recruit, but it might be we have one in Trent. Incredible attitude, and I fully expect he'll be our best player, possibly by a country mile, making everyone better. For me, his leadership could be the X factor we need.

We might have a serviceable front court with De LaRosa and Giorgi handling most of the 5 duties. If it all comes together, I could see us landing above .500 in conference play. Wouldn't predict it, but I think our upside is that high.

This is going to sound odd, but for me, the key game is how we lose to Gonzaga. The Zags should be an elite team with potentially 2 first rounders. If these guys fight to the end, continue to try and execute even when out-matched, and don't roll over, then I'll believe they have a chance to turn it around this season.

For now, though, I'm not a believer. Too much deterioration in the culture in the Groce years to think we've turned the corner. Gonna have to see some pride and execution on the court to change my mind.

Who's left from the Groce culture? Just a senior Aaron Jordan (who ran the Underwood system the best last year) and half a season of Kipper (who was starting to emerge last year under the new coach.)

GortTheRobot

North Bethesda, Maryland
Pretty good analogy, similar to the point I made yesterday. Some people will always think that the "new" (lower ranked) recruits are better than the players they replace. IF they do not pan out, a "new" recruit will take their place with regards to expectations and they will move to the "players who will get replaced" group.

Can't disagree with this at all, but I do think it's reasonable to think that who we are adding in the frontcourt will, at least be an improvement in rebounding and provide some defense, as opposed to the "swinging gate" Finke employed last year.

Who's left from the Groce culture? Just a senior Aaron Jordan (who ran the Underwood system the best last year) and half a season of Kipper (who was starting to emerge last year under the new coach.)

It's nonsense, it just fits a certain narrative. People were going gaga over Groce's motivational speech after the Miami game, how exceptional it was, what a breath of fresh air, his ability to connect and motivate players. At the end, BU will be measured by results as any other coach.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL

I remember when we fought hard to the end against an elite Duke team in Maui in 07-08 and people had the same attitude. The next month we lost to Miami of Ohio and Tennessee State at home and we ended 16-19 (5-13).

But were the seeds of 08-09's emergence visible in that Maui performance (in which we also beat James Harden in his first ever college game)? It's possible. Kinda similar roster situations too with a big class of freshmen being forced to play early.

I remember when we fought hard to the end against an elite Duke team in Maui in 07-08 and people had the same attitude. The next month we lost to Miami of Ohio and Tennessee State at home and we ended 16-19 (5-13).

But were the seeds of 08-09's emergence visible in that Maui performance (in which we also beat James Harden in his first ever college game)? It's possible. Kinda similar roster situations too with a big class of freshmen being forced to play early.

How sad is it that I vividly remember feeling like 2009 was a sort of "hollow" success? That's what happens when you're four years removed from being in the National Championship and two years removed from being in the Tournament for the eighth straight season. Now, I would absolutely kill for a year like 2009, LOL.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
How sad is it that I vividly remember feeling like 2009 was a sort of "hollow" success? That's what happens when you're four years removed from being in the National Championship and two years removed from being in the Tournament for the eighth straight season. Now, I would absolutely kill for a year like 2009, LOL.

That was a really good, tough minded team that just suffered a horrible stroke of luck when Chester Frazier broke his hand going into the tournament.

That was Weber's only Illinois team that played like his SIU teams, for better or worse.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Can we please stop with these Flyin' Illini, 2005 Illini, Golden State Warriors, Steph Curry, and Michael Jordan comparisons? They have nothing to do with current team. As mentioned many times, just height and Bigs is not the problem. Certainly, Adonis, Giorgi, Kane have plenty of height and are bigs. We do not simply lack height/bigs. The talent differential with those examples you (and others) bring up amounts to somehow winning the lottery. Actually, there are probably better chances that we win the lottery than this team is the Golden State Warriors of college basketball.

As for Michael Jordan, by the time he reached senior year, he was a McD AA averaging a triple double 29.2 points, 11.6 rebounds, and 10.1 assists and was one of the most highly sought recruits. We do not have Michael Jordan coming in.

Nowhere in his post is he directly comparing this team to any of those you mentioned. He simply used some examples to make his point.

7NNe.gif

Can't disagree with this at all, but I do think it's reasonable to think that who we are adding in the frontcourt will, at least be an improvement in rebounding and provide some defense, as opposed to the "swinging gate" Finke employed last year.

Only if Giorgi and Samba don't both get two fouls in the first ten minutes of a game (something that is not out of the realm of possibilities). They then have to dial it back or Kipper takes the 5. Until we have a healthy De LaRosa, there is reason to have doubts. Perhaps we get a performance like Loyola got from their big guy last year who was a freshman IIRC, but there is reason to be skeptical. We shall see how well OA can coach them up.

It's all relative... the NFL and NBA are proof that skill and production aren't based solely on rankings and high school statistics... those are just examples of greats who are elite performers who people said the same thing about.... they weren't good enough.... but were obviously wrong.... Hind site is always 20/20....

Deleted member 643761

D
Steph Curry rankings

I agree with Obelix that bringing up players that clearly do not correspond to guys on our roster isn't helpful or informative.

But your overall point is exactly accurate which is that we need to see them play to make a judgement.

Lots of people want to borrow trouble. To some it's a defense mechanism I think to imagine the worst so you're pleasantly surprised over everything. (Wow, did you see Georgi! Two rebounds plus a bucket and drawn foul!)

History for Illinois and and pretty much every team tells us that there's a pretty wide range of possibilities for our results this year. I think the bell curve for teams like us is pretty flat, as well. Every year there's a number of teams that surprise and every year there are teams that disappoint. Pessimists want to call themselves "realists" when in reality they just like to always select on the left side of the bell. Selecting in the middle doesn't make you a realist. It just means your valuing different parts of the evaluation differently.

I tend to put coaching in a higher priority place than some so with this coach I believe to be good, my prediction for the season will tend to be on the right side of the bell.

Anyway, our first bad call can't come soon enough to give us something else to talk about.

Deleted member 654622

D
The most important question I have, now that BU has "his" players and the reports that the locker room is tight, is how does this team respond to adversity?
There will absolutely be some bad losses and I hope their drive to win pushes them even closer together rather than creating strife.
Don't we know that answer already because of the open practice? Punches thrown...

illini80

Forgottonia
When is the super secret Vandy scrimmage supposed to happen?

Don't forget, it takes 5 years for the NC appearance to take effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.