Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
can't wait for the season to begin (hopefully we do better than football)

Deleted member 8632

D
My guess is, for a lot of people (myself included), there is no possible out outcome against Illinois Wesleyan that increases my confidence.
I find this comment ridiculous.Using this logic, and the Eastern game last year, we should feel indifferent about the outcome of that game and a dominate performance. That game for me(and I'm guessing many others) was a major concern. Same goes for this game. A 40 point win vs a 5 point loss is a big difference on the confidence meter IMO.

I find this comment ridiculous.Using this logic, and the Eastern game last year, we should feel indifferent about the outcome of that game and a dominate performance. That game for me(and I'm guessing many others) was a major concern. Same goes for this game. A 40 point win vs a 5 point loss is a big difference on the confidence meter IMO.

There are many examples every year of a good team losing or almost losing to a lower division or low D1 school. There are also many examples of bad teams blowing out those same schools.

Just look at Groce’s tenure. His first year we made the tournament but struggled against a couple lower programs in the non con. There was another year where we didn’t make the tournament but we were leading the country in scoring early that year and blowing teams out like 110-55.

Add in the fact that this is a scrimmage so there will be expirementation with different lineups and things done that BU probably wouldn’t do in an actual game. There just isn’t a whole lot that can be taken away from these matchups with inferior opponents.

My general viewpoint is that you need to do what you’re supposed to do, or better, against whoever you play. If you should win by 50, win by 50. Make it crisp, clean and surgical. Make the right passes and reads, hit the shots that come within the flow of the offense, don’t turn the ball over.

Defensively, turn them over A LOT. Like A LOT, since that’s what our defense is based on. Don’t let them shoot an insane percentage at the rim like we gave up last year. Prevent rhythm 3s. Also, make this the absolute worst game we play all year, while doing all these things we should be able to do.

t7nich

Central IL
There are many examples every year of a good team losing or almost losing to a lower division or low D1 school. There are also many examples of bad teams blowing out those same schools.

Just look at Groce’s tenure. His first year we made the tournament but struggled against a couple lower programs in the non con. There was another year where we didn’t make the tournament but we were leading the country in scoring early that year and blowing teams out like 110-55.

Add in the fact that this is a scrimmage so there will be expirementation with different lineups and things done that BU probably wouldn’t do in an actual game. There just isn’t a whole lot that can be taken away from these matchups with inferior opponents.

It won’t be a scrimmage. It will be an exhibition game. Yesterday against vandy was the scrimmage. Friday’s game will not have the extra stops and starts like what would/could have occurred against vandy.

I’ll be concerned if the team looks as lost as they did against Eastern last year. But that’s just me.

Ps. No box score from the scrimmage. I’m seeing score sheets out there for other scrimmages this weekend. What gives?

Deleted member 643761

D
I'd like to win, because it feels better, looks better, and I think improves confidence.

I'll be much less concerned about the margin than I will be about how we look. With experimental lineups and playing a long bench you won't see our actual team. But we can see how well they execute and hustle.

I agree with this sentiment. I find it impossibly hard to figure out what's a reasonable prediction. Too many newcomers to be optimistic, but it's an intriguing team with our guard options, and potentially a seismic shift in culture. We all wanted a program changing recruit, but it might be we have one in Trent. Incredible attitude, and I fully expect he'll be our best player, possibly by a country mile, making everyone better. For me, his leadership could be the X factor we need.

We might have a serviceable front court with De LaRosa and Giorgi handling most of the 5 duties. If it all comes together, I could see us landing above .500 in conference play. Wouldn't predict it, but I think our upside is that high.

This is going to sound odd, but for me, the key game is how we lose to Gonzaga. The Zags should be an elite team with potentially 2 first rounders. If these guys fight to the end, continue to try and execute even when out-matched, and don't roll over, then I'll believe they have a chance to turn it around this season.

For now, though, I'm not a believer. Too much deterioration in the culture in the Groce years to think we've turned the corner. Gonna have to see some pride and execution on the court to change my mind.
Glad our players don't think like you or why even play the game...

Of course it was a major concern last year. If we lost this year it will be a major concern. My point is, against Wesleyan, a 40 point win does not make me more confident about the season than I am now. When crushing your opponent is the expectation, it is very difficult to exceed expectations.

can't wait for the season to begin (hopefully we do better than football)

Will wait for the season to begin. Hopefully there will be something to be excited about. These multi million dollar coaches need to produce first. Give us a reason to get excited.

Class of 79

It won’t be a scrimmage. It will be an exhibition game. Yesterday against vandy was the scrimmage. Friday’s game will not have the extra stops and starts like what would/could have occurred against vandy.

I’ll be concerned if the team looks as lost as they did against Eastern last year. But that’s just me.

Ps. No box score from the scrimmage. I’m seeing score sheets out there for other scrimmages this weekend. What gives?

That's why they call it a secret scrimmage.

i think we are being name slept on by alot of people. how many teams can have a better backcourt than ours that we play against. If we end up having to play a halfcourt game we might have some struggles bu i think this team could go as high as 6th in the big ten this year. Besides michigan and michigan state everyone else seems to have as many issues as we do.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
i think we are being name slept on by alot of people. how many teams can have a better backcourt than ours that we play against. If we end up having to play a halfcourt game we might have some struggles bu i think this team could go as high as 6th in the big ten this year. Besides michigan and michigan state everyone else seems to have as many issues as we do.
I think all of the positive advantages our backcourt gives us is negated by what our frontcourt lacks. The backcourt needs to cover up a lot for our lack of bigs, and they will have to do it consistently for 40 min. a night to give us a chance. Asking a lot out of TF, Ayo, and EL G.

I think all of the positive advantages our backcourt gives us is negated by what our frontcourt lacks. The backcourt needs to cover up a lot for our lack of bigs, and they will have to do it consistently for 40 min. a night to give us a chance. Asking a lot out of TF, Ayo, and EL G.

your right i completely agree. I am just wishing adonis giorgi and samba can protect the rim and rebound Kipper also is going to have to bring it on a consistent basis.

So all this talk about the 5, who plays the 4 other than Kipper? Is it just assumed he's putting up 30-35 mins there a game regardless? I know Jones is a popular name, but all I've heard is how raw he is. Can AJ/DMW slot in there for a while?

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
I could envision us playing a lot more zone this year compared to last year to force teams to beat us with 20+ fters compared to 1 ft dunks

So all this talk about the 5, who plays the 4 other than Kipper? Is it just assumed he's putting up 30-35 mins there a game regardless? I know Jones is a popular name, but all I've heard is how raw he is. Can AJ/DMW slot in there for a while?
I think we have a number of people that will be able to play the 4, particularly when Adonis is back. In addition to Tevian, I would guess we'll see Georgi and AJ there at times. Tevian is probably still getting comfortable with Underwood's style of play, but he's hardly raw. He is very skilled and will get a lot of minutes.

I could envision us playing a lot more zone this year compared to last year to force teams to beat us with 20+ fters compared to 1 ft dunks

Not really BU’s MO. Play pressure defense and deny the pass to make it hard to get the ball inside is what we will see.

We saw it last year and we will see it this year. BU is ok with occasionally giving up the easy bucket as long as we are also getting turnovers.

I think we have a number of people that will be able to play the 4, particularly when Adonis is back. In addition to Tevian, I would guess we'll see Georgi and AJ there at times. Tevian is probably still getting comfortable with Underwood's style of play, but he's hardly raw. He is very skilled and will get a lot of minutes.

The key is we need wanna to be a solid player. If that happens we can slide giordibto 4 and maybe even kipper some at the three

Killian Tillie, Gonzaga’s starting center, is out for the next 8 weeks, per Twitter.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Not really BU’s MO. Play pressure defense and deny the pass to make it hard to get the ball inside is what we will see.

We saw it last year and we will see it this year. BU is ok with occasionally giving up the easy bucket as long as we are also getting turnovers.
Not disagreeing with your post but as a unit the players we have on the backcourt seems to have the skills to pressure the ball in a 3-2 zone and cause a modest amount of havoc that we won't see as many lobs and dunks as last year..
It could happen with the new players coming in have more defensive abilities than last year...i know TJL was good on defense but with Ayo and Feliz and TF and DW that seems that BU might change his MO somewhat to use the increased pressure out front without sacrificing the paint as we all saw happen regularly last year...

Hey, I just want the Illini to get back to the dance anyway possible and if that means more zone , so be it.

JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.