Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, lets give him some credit - I'd assume the mile was on a track - with left hand turns on each end - and someone did mention he was performing some sort of cutting drills during the 1st practice as I recall.

Unless he is running clockwise.

Has anyone heard or know if we've got any scrimmages schedule with other schools before the season begins.....maybe a re-match with EIU???o_O

I don't think any kool-aid is needed over the time the mile was ran. If you think the kid running a mile means he is ready to step into the lineup and help us in Maui, then sure, drink up.

All this means right now is he is taking another step in his recovery.

Shouldn't that read he's taking another bunch of steps in his recovery, lol?

I’ll feel so much better about the season if we hear of De La Rosa being cleared anytime soon. I still expect it to be closer to December or January before he’s fully cleared though. Hope I’m wrong.

I read elsewhere it might well be mid-November.

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
It's all about waiting until Paul Schmidt and his staff say Adonis is cleared to play. No need to rush.

There are a ton of different stages of ACL recovery. You start almost immediately "rehabbing" though the exercises are of course very easy so to speak.

I think the general consensus is between 9-12 months to fully recover, though there are plenty of factors in that. A friend of mine could run after 4 months, wore a brace for about another 2, then was completely off anything after those 6 months (unless he was playing a sport or working out). Thing is, he wasn't playing basketball games every 3/4 days. I'd imagine Adonis gets cleared right around the beginning of November and probably sees action right around the early B1G games, but even that might be a stretch. D1 basketball is not joke. By now, he should be able to do almost everything minus contact (as far as I can tell he was hurt on 3/9, probably had surgery a day or two after).

I still don't expect him to ever play more than 20 mins a game. Its almost as much mental as physical. Time will tell though.

There are a ton of different stages of ACL recovery. You start almost immediately "rehabbing" though the exercises are of course very easy so to speak.

I think the general consensus is between 9-12 months to fully recover, though there are plenty of factors in that. A friend of mine could run after 4 months, wore a brace for about another 2, then was completely off anything after those 6 months (unless he was playing a sport or working out). Thing is, he wasn't playing basketball games every 3/4 days. I'd imagine Adonis gets cleared right around the beginning of November and probably sees action right around the early B1G games, but even that might be a stretch. D1 basketball is not joke. By now, he should be able to do almost everything minus contact (as far as I can tell he was hurt on 3/9, probably had surgery a day or two after).

I still don't expect him to ever play more than 20 mins a game. Its almost as much mental as physical. Time will tell though.
https://theathletic.com/468959/2018/08/12/georgia-knee-injury-acl-quicker-recovery-ron-courson/

Great read, like I said, even without all those fancy treatments, a friend of mine was 90% 6 months later, he isn't a D1 athlete. Highlighted 3 guys, two of which were either fully or close to being fully cleared by 8 months. That puts Adonis right at the Oct/Nov period. Hopefully he's doing most of the stuff the Georgian guys are.
There's a huge difference between a doctor clearing a high level athlete and a random Joe recovering from the surgery and feeling good to run. Adonis was running really well 6 months after his surgery too. Your friend could have doing some activities and felt okay to do everything he was doing before the injury but it's possible that he was doing stuff that put him at risk of long term damage but he didn't know about it without the evaluations that high level athletes get with the recovery.

There's a huge difference between a doctor clearing a high level athlete and a random Joe recovering from the surgery and feeling good to run. Adonis was running really well 6 months after his surgery too. Your friend could have doing some activities and felt okay to do everything he was doing before the injury but it's possible that he was doing stuff that put him at risk of long term damage but he didn't know about it without the evaluations that high level athletes get with the recovery.
Yes thats exactly what I meant. Basically it's possible to be "healed" from surgery, but not be cleared for full go by a team doctor. I was just trying to give perspective.

Damonte was cleared at the end of the September, about 10 months after his surgery.
http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...17-10-22/all-systems-go-damonte-williams.html

Hopefully De La Rosa's is a little faster but if De La Rosa's recovery is the same, that would mean he would be cleared at the end of January. He won't be close to 100% even if he's cleared before then but we need as from help in the frontcourt as possible, especially with it seeming like Kane isn't as ready as some were expecting.

Deleted member 654622

D
I tore my ACL playing football like 15 years ago. I got a cadaver graft due to arthritis already settling in within my other knee ligaments. It made the recovery twice as quick since my body was only dealing with trauma to one area and not two (the injury, the area they take the graph from).
Tore it on Oct 9th
Rehab like a boss
Surgery on Nov 9th
Trainer gave me a Christmas present of allowing me to run
I could run, squat, jump, and cut by the first of December. But of course they did not want me to for precautionary reasons. I was 6 ft 245lb at the time. Different body types make a difference. Just saying I wont be shocked if its 6 months or 12 months.

Dan

Admin
Mini Plans On Sale Now
https://fightingillini.com/news/201...illini-basketball-mini-plans-on-sale-now.aspx
• December to Remember Pack $49 » All three Saturday December games
» UNLV (Dec. 8), East Tennessee State (Dec. 15), Florida Atlantic (Dec. 29)

• 3-Game Mini Plan $59
» Georgetown (Nov. 13), Wisconsin (Jan. 23), Nebraska (Feb. 2)

• 4-Game Mini Plan $79
» Georgetown (Nov. 13), Wisconsin (Jan. 23), Nebraska (Feb. 2), Michigan State (Feb. 5)

For a more affordable option, fans still have access to the Fighting Illini Mobile Pass for $125. This pass includes all 16 home games and assigns seats 48 hours prior to each tip-off.

I tore my ACL playing football like 15 years ago. I got a cadaver graft due to arthritis already settling in within my other knee ligaments. It made the recovery twice as quick since my body was only dealing with trauma to one area and not two (the injury, the area they take the graph from).
Tore it on Oct 9th
Rehab like a boss
Surgery on Nov 9th
Trainer gave me a Christmas present of allowing me to run
I could run, squat, jump, and cut by the first of December. But of course they did not want me to for precautionary reasons. I was 6 ft 245lb at the time. Different body types make a difference. Just saying I wont be shocked if its 6 months or 12 months.
Were you a college athlete?

Deleted member 654622

D
Were you a college athlete?
Yes. I played for the closest local college that had football 3 years out of the Marine Corps because I am an idiot and love playing. So my body was a little older than a normal college students

Yes. I played for the closest local college that had football 3 years out of the Marine Corps because I am an idiot and love playing. So my body was a little older than a normal college students
Just goes to show how much variation there can be even for college athletes. Going back to Damonte, I'm assuming that he didn't have the same level of rehab in the first few months while still a high school student compared to what we would have gotten in college. I would imagine that would be a big factor in the recovery. With a big guy like De La Rose, there's always a chance that there's a setback too.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
Just goes to show how much variation there can be even for college athletes. Going back to Damonte, I'm assuming that he didn't have the same level of rehab in the first few months while still a high school student compared to what we would have gotten in college. I would imagine that would be a big factor in the recovery. With a big guy like De La Rose, there's always a chance that there's a setback too.
Additionally, Damonte is a guard, speed, quickness, cutting is a higher priority than Adonis. He still needs it, but not like a guard would. JMHO.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Damonte had 4 years of eligibility in front of him and reason to be cautious. DeLa is in use it or lose it with eligibility this year, so pending his aspirations to play professionally after this season, he may be willing to push getting back early

Damonte had 4 years of eligibility in front of him and reason to be cautious. DeLa is in use it or lose it with eligibility this year, so pending his aspirations to play professionally after this season, he may be willing to push getting back early

We should also make him use it or lose it with his ACL. Get back in time to help or we surgically remove the repaired ligament. (Joking obviously)

Status
Not open for further replies.