Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/AyoDos_11?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Lindy's names Ayo to preseason Third-Team All Big10. Seems like a stretch, but cheers to him having a terrific freshman campaign.

He's a top 30ish freshman (who took a tumble late, was a consensus 5*) who's playing on a team with hardly any other offensive options. Not saying he ends up being a 3rd teamer, but there's no reason to discount him based on talent or really situation, though the argument could be made a better team might let him shine more, but I think volume will overcome teammate deficiencies in his case.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
He's a top 30ish freshman (who took a tumble late, was a consensus 5*) who's playing on a team with hardly any other offensive options. Not saying he ends up being a 3rd teamer, but there's no reason to discount him based on talent or really situation, though the argument could be made a better team might let him shine more, but I think volume will overcome teammate deficiencies in his case.
Is this really the case? I feel like our defense and the ability to guard the post is our glaring weakness. I feel we look alright on the offensive side. TF and EL G, good shooting options, Kip can score.

Loyalillini10

Urbana, IL
Is this really the case? I feel like our defense and the ability to guard the post is our glaring weakness. I feel we look alright on the offensive side. TF and EL G, good shooting options, Kip can score.
I do not believe this is the case. Not a lot of questions on offense, just defense IMO. I am hoping for a ton of assists this year.

Deleted member 29907

D
Agree- no idea where that no other options statement could come from.

Agree- no idea where that no other options statement could come from.
Well I said hardly, which basically means there are two guys who have proven to be reliable volume scorers on the team--TF and Kipper and the latter has been about as Jekyll and Hyde as anyone could be. You can make a case for Feliz, but I'm still tempering offensive expectations out of any lower level transfer.

I brought it up because teams like MSU and Michigan have three or four guys who have proven track records. When you return 4 guys, you never know whos gonna step up and be an offensive threat.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I’m calling it now. Giorgi will get a technical at the bragging rights game for running his mouth and starting a fight. And I will love it!

He kind of seems like a cross between Dee Brown and Lucas Johnson, but in Damir's body...

whatahack

St. Peters MO
Any updates on Da'Monte ? I was really excited when he committed but have not seen much about him on here.

Deleted member 29907

D
Well I said hardly, which basically means there are two guys who have proven to be reliable volume scorers on the team--TF and Kipper and the latter has been about as Jekyll and Hyde as anyone could be. You can make a case for Feliz, but I'm still tempering offensive expectations out of any lower level transfer.

I brought it up because teams like MSU and Michigan have three or four guys who have proven track records. When you return 4 guys, you never know whos gonna step up and be an offensive threat.
Fair enough - I just think, unlike last year, we should be able to have 4 scorers on the floor at all times this year - our weak spot, until proven, is what we can score at the 5 but we shouldn't be in a TJL / Ebo combo that allows a tight coverage on someone like AJ - or allows teams to pack it in. I am hoping the offensive scheme can help the 5 be more productive this year - of course hope is not a plan, but just looking at the roster, we have better shooting this year, and one more year of experience for some in the offense.

Attention Computer Science Department....deploy a virtual reality simulator/ trainer for BUs Off and Def systems.....you could accelerate the player learning process tremendously.

I am going to a CS awards dinner tonight and I will mention this to people.

View attachment 3635

Thought this was a very interesting image. Underwood showing up prominently on this scatter plot: above average offense but just average defense during his coaching career.
That is a very interesting chart. Position on this is a combination of both the system and the talent of the athlete executing the system. Even with a lot of freshmen this year, I expect improvement in both because of a year of experience with returning players, and better athleticism in the new players.

AJ is one of the most well-spoken players we've had in many years. Loved listening to him talk about Alan, Andres, Samba, and others in that video.
I've thought the same thing. AJ is a good looking kid and very articulate. I could see a broadcasting career for him.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
No highlights without whistles to put in the video? *Gulp*
Some of those were pretty weak. I will assume they have been asked by BU to be super aggressive on the whistles to drive the point across.

Did anybody go to that open practice lady Saturday? I did, I'm afraid the preseason polls might be right. Players not engaged, mistakes on basic fundamentals of underwood offense and defense.

Deleted member 746094

D
Did anybody go to that open practice lady Saturday? I did, I'm afraid the preseason polls might be right. Players not engaged, mistakes on basic fundamentals of underwood offense and defense.

Once again- new to the thread as a poster, but I have been following for years. Need a “Dislike” button.

“Not engaged”....???

Some of those were pretty weak. I will assume they have been asked by BU to be super aggressive on the whistles to drive the point across.
Yep... better now in practice than later during the games. Those refs aren't at practice to swallow their whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.