Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,126      
I wouldn't. If I had to guess, I'd give him a second year, but only because of how much he can benefit from additional physical development. If you look at how hard Trent works, and how much he's improved his physicality, and then put that on Ayo, you get an NBA ready player.

If he goes after one year, it's going to be because he plays big in big games. Look at how well he played against Georgetown. That's a team with size and length, and yet his stat line was very impressive, and you could see him try and carry the team. Hope we have him for two, but I can't see him in college past that.

I could see Ayo here for 3, but 2 wouldn't surprise me.

#1,127      
I was too into the game to focus on our defense, but I think we executed pretty well early, but didn't have the stamina to keep it up. Trent would have helped that, btw. Over the course of the game, we didn't wear down our opponent, we wore down ourselves. We looked gassed for stretches in the 2nd half. So I wouldn't draw too many conclusions on the defensive scheme when we're not executing it.

That is exactly what Coach said in the post game commets. Especially the two guards.

#1,128      
It amazes me that there are people on this board that claim BU should abandon his defensive scheme after two games - one in which it destroyed the opponent and the other in which we didn't have one of our better defenders and we wore down late in the halves. This is especially true since we have a bunch of freshmen playing in their first college games learning the ropes. I think it is a little early to declare the defensive scheme a bust.

#1,129      
I agree but the freshman excuse is wearing thin with me when it is freshmen that destroyed it.
We lost what was believed to be a pretty evenly matched game by many based on talent without our best player by 8 points in the 2nd game of the season. It was disappointing and we definitely had opportunities to win while playing poor defense throughout. I just think it should all be in context. I saw what I thought to be a very level-headed and realistic prediction of 15 wins this year. That's the team we have. I certainly hope I'm wrong and we're better than that. We will lose several games that we are right in much like last year. I'm hoping to see more significant improvement from start to finish than we did last year and much better closing in tight games since we lost half a dozen in the final minute last year. I'm not going to sweat the second game too much.

#1,130      
It amazes me that there are people on this board that claim BU should abandon his defensive scheme after two games - one in which it destroyed the opponent and the other in which we didn't have one of our better defenders and we wore down late in the halves. This is especially true since we have a bunch of freshmen playing in their first college games learning the ropes. I think it is a little early to declare the defensive scheme a bust.

Agreed, but my gripe with this defense doesn't even have to do with personnel. With all the new rule changes and college bball trying to "clean up" the game...how successful can this defense really be? Does anyone else play the same system? West Virginia obviously does their press but from what I've seen, it looks different. Shaka had his HAVOC defense at VCU. Does he still use that at Texas and how does it compare to BU's?

#1,131      
I wouldn’t suggest Underwood abandon his defensive scheme, but I’d like to see some flexibility based on match ups. I just don’t think the personnel is on the floor yet to make it work every game. The lack of length and size will still be an issue. JMHO.

#1,132      
Don't have an issue with the concept of flexibility based upon matchups, but also think these guys need to learn to play one system well before BU will be able to get them to play others at a major college level. This isn't a veteran team.

#1,133      
I’m sure coach would like them to work more on the system before branching out. I was really happy with the lack of bad fouls compared to last year. I only remember one and that was by Nichols.

#1,134      
Ramble ramble ramble. Game 2 of season 2 everybody. And people are acting like the defense Bob Huggins and Frank Martin use can't work.

Let's talk about context. We have 4, I repeat 4, players back from last year that fully understand the defensive scheme. One of those 4, arguably our best defender and leader, was out with a concussion in our last game. Is this starting to make sense now? This year is going to be filled with growing pains. Get over it.

You can scream at the sky all you want. Underwood is going to continue using this scheme. And it will pay HUGE dividends for next season. Because year 3 is what I care about. That's when the real criticism can come in. Now sit back and be patient couch coaches.

#1,135      
Ramble ramble ramble. Game 2 of season 2 everybody. And people are acting like the defense Bob Huggins and Frank Martin use can't work.

Let's talk about context. We have 4, I repeat 4, players back from last year that fully understand the defensive scheme. One of those 4, arguably our best defender and leader, was out with a concussion in our last game. Is this starting to make sense now? This year is going to be filled with growing pains. Get over it.

You can scream at the sky all you want. Underwood is going to continue using this scheme. And it will pay HUGE dividends for next season. Because year 3 is what I care about. That's when the real criticism can come in. Now sit back and be patient couch coaches.
I didn’t I was rambling or screaming either.☺️

#1,137      
For everyone saying Ayo will likely be gone after this year or next, just look how many other college studs weren't able to leave after one year or some who couldn't make it even after 4 years. Not saying he won't make it, but look how Melo Trimble was a stud in college and can't make it. Brunson. Duval. Juwan Evans. Jason Gardner. Trey Burke...kinda. Just saying that the NBA PG position is hard to make it if you aren't an elite athlete, and though Ayo has the size, he's not really elite at any one skill. We'll see!

#1,138      
"Our team with a lot of new guys is struggling with the defensive scheme, we should clearly add in more defensive schemes to better take advantage of matchups. This in no way will be detrimental to the team learning the base defense."

#1,139      

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL
For everyone saying Ayo will likely be gone after this year or next, just look how many other college studs weren't able to leave after one year or some who couldn't make it even after 4 years. Not saying he won't make it, but look how Melo Trimble was a stud in college and can't make it. Brunson. Duval. Juwan Evans. Jason Gardner. Trey Burke...kinda. Just saying that the NBA PG position is hard to make it if you aren't an elite athlete, and though Ayo has the size, he's not really elite at any one skill. We'll see!

I think Ayo is elite at finishing around the rim. A lot like Kyrie Irving with his ability to get the ball in the basket without throwing it down. Not quite as quick or crafty with his handles but I see the same craftiness finishing around the rim so far. I think he has a place in the league. I hope we have him 3 years.

#1,140      

Sal Iacuzzo

Yonkers, NY

Ayo is up to a half foot taller than some of those guys.

#1,141      
I think Ayo is elite at finishing around the rim. A lot like Kyrie Irving with his ability to get the ball in the basket without throwing it down. Not quite as quick or crafty with his handles but I see the same craftiness finishing around the rim so far. I think he has a place in the league. I hope we have him 3 years.
But Kyrie has an elite shot, too. He has the handles, shot, and finishing ability. I don't disagree that Ayo has a place in the league; I just don't know that he is a successful one or two and done. I see him more as a 4-year player, but maybe he'll do it sooner!

#1,142      
Ayo is up to a half foot taller than some of those guys.
Agreed, he is taller and that will help. He could maybe be a Lonzo Ball-type player. He has the length and frame that he can use to be successful on D. He isn't probably as natural as a passer, or maybe not as a shooter. Any other comparisons?

#1,143      
Very risky indeed because with the current recruiting season and a dumpster fire of a season he is on the hot seat next year.

Nah. It's pretty tough to forecast this season as a dumpster fire despite an undesirable record. That's not to say our record last year or projected record this year is acceptable, but you don't have to squint to see signs of progress. This year's team is a lot further along than the team we saw in November of 17'. Don't see this team quitting on Underwood or regressing. Most people were calling for a top 150 big man in this class and we fortunately landed one.

It appears that Ayo could be that 3 year player who ends up having an awesome collegiate career but still finds his way to the league, which is ideal. As much as a 1-and-done would be terrific for the program, we want Ayo for at least a couple years.

#1,144      
Ayo reminds me of SGA from Kentucky last year. Long tall point guard. Great body control. Know how to play with pace and shiftiness and love euro steps.

#1,145      
Ayo reminds me of SGA from Kentucky last year. Long tall point guard. Great body control. Know how to play with pace and shiftiness and love euro steps.
That could be a good comparison.

#1,146      
Agreed, he is taller and that will help. He could maybe be a Lonzo Ball-type player. He has the length and frame that he can use to be successful on D. He isn't probably as natural as a passer, or maybe not as a shooter. Any other comparisons?

Bruce Bowen? Better passer, same athlete, defensively same?

#1,148      
It’s no secret our backcourt is our strength and our front court is pretty bad.

My question is, bias aside, where does our backcourt rank in the big ten?

#1,149      
It’s no secret our backcourt is our strength and our front court is pretty bad.

My question is, bias aside, where does our backcourt rank in the big ten?
I think we have the best backcourt in the B1G when things are clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.