Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,151      
It’s no secret our backcourt is our strength and our front court is pretty bad.

My question is, bias aside, where does our backcourt rank in the big ten?

we might have the best 1/2 punch w Ayo and Trent, along w very good depth. But individually their are probably 7-8 guards better than Ayo and Trent at least...

#1,152      
Didn’t know where to post this. Went to a wedding yesterday in Peoria and Bill Cole was there. Didn’t recognize him at first but finally figured it out. After a very late night, went to IHOP in the late morning, and while we were seated a very tall and large black man entered. My daughter said it looked like he almost hit his head on the upper door frame. He looked familiar. After awhile, it dawned on me it was Marcus Griffin. As we were leaving (and I was wearing my Chief hat) we walked by his table and I said “ILL.” He looked at me smiled and said “INI, everyday baby!” Pretty neat to see a couple old Illini!

#1,153      
Regarding Ayo being a one and done. There was an article in the Tribune today that said that this was on his long time list of things to accomplish. However, if he is to be successful enough to do that it would I believe need to be in the context of Illinois success. The more he lifts the team the higher his stock. For him to be a one and done I think that Illinois would have to do well enough to make the NCAA tournament providing him the visibility to realistically make the jump. That would not be a bad scenario for the long term success of Illinois BB. It would help recruiting ( a one and done of Underwood's makes the NBA in one year and the team is on its way up). Thoughts?

#1,154      
Regarding Ayo being a one and done. There was an article in the Tribune today that said that this was on his long time list of things to accomplish. However, if he is to be successful enough to do that it would I believe need to be in the context of Illinois success. The more he lifts the team the higher his stock. For him to be a one and done I think that Illinois would have to do well enough to make the NCAA tournament providing him the visibility to realistically make the jump. That would not be a bad scenario for the long term success of Illinois BB. It would help recruiting ( a one and done of Underwood's makes the NBA in one year and the team is on its way up). Thoughts?

Ayo is a good and efficient player. But he is no one-and-done.

#1,155      

Ayo also said he wants to be associated with resurrecting the Illini program. IMO he cannot be a one and done and also act as program savior. If he somehow gets drafted in 2019 then he’s a flash in the programs pan and it’s more about him than where he came from and any degree of the program enhancing his success.

To resurrect the program requires some time of making us relevant, which many agree means top grouping in the big ten and NCAA appearances. It also means more top recruits. My sense is if Ayo wants that credit he needs to stay 2 or probably 3 years.

I do not buy the notion that an Ayo one and done does anything for what he leaves behind. Let’s see him get all big ten and some national honors first.

#1,156      

illini55

The Villages, FL

While it would be great if Illinois makes it well into the NCAA tourney, you can absolutely bet that Ayo is already completely "visible" to every NBA scout. There is zero need for the Illini to advance for him to "make the jump" to the Big Show. He will stay or go on his own merit, irrespective of how the Illini do in the postseason, or even whether they make the postseason. I saw one article in which he is already pegged as late first round, so he is clearly being watched closely.

#1,157      

Deleted member 643761

D
Ayo also said he wants to be associated with resurrecting the Illini program. IMO he cannot be a one and done and also act as program savior. If he somehow gets drafted in 2019 then he’s a flash in the programs pan and it’s more about him than where he came from and any degree of the program enhancing his success.

To resurrect the program requires some time of making us relevant, which many agree means top grouping in the big ten and NCAA appearances. It also means more top recruits. My sense is if Ayo wants that credit he needs to stay 2 or probably 3 years.

I do not buy the notion that an Ayo one and done does anything for what he leaves behind. Let’s see him get all big ten and some national honors first.

If there's a choice for Ayo between sticking around and resurrecting our program or grabbing first round money, I won't criticize him for doing the latter. For anyone who would it would be more about them being selfish than supporting a guy who's showing himself to be a great Illini.

#1,158      
If there's a choice for Ayo between sticking around and resurrecting our program or grabbing first round money, I won't criticize him for doing the latter. For anyone who would it would be more about them being selfish than supporting a guy who's showing himself to be a great Illini.

Didn’t say I wasn’t supporting him. I suggested these two stated goals are mutually exclusive.

#1,159      
While it would be great if Illinois makes it well into the NCAA tourney, you can absolutely bet that Ayo is already completely "visible" to every NBA scout. There is zero need for the Illini to advance for him to "make the jump" to the Big Show. He will stay or go on his own merit, irrespective of how the Illini do in the postseason, or even whether they make the postseason. I saw one article in which he is already pegged as late first round, so he is clearly being watched closely.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ard-top-50-college-prospects-to-watch#slide19

Not sure where he would plug in if he were to go....interestingly, not a huge amount of playmakers...Norvell would be the most closely type of player/skill that might translate, Ayo is much better imo though.

#1,162      
AYO is not a lottery pick. He will be back next year.

Lottery pick is kind of irrelevant. A player like Ayo will leave if he is projected in 1st round even if not lottery pick. They will not stay with the hope of becoming lottery picks. It is extremely doubtful that Ayo ever becomes a lottery pick but he is not a candidate for the draft right now.

#1,163      
Lottery pick is kind of irrelevant. A player like Ayo will leave if he is projected in 1st round even if not lottery pick. They will not stay with the hope of becoming lottery picks. It is extremely doubtful that Ayo ever becomes a lottery pick but he is not a candidate for the draft right now.

Agreed. I don’t think he would touch the draft just yet.

#1,164      
Has anyone seen details on tickets for the conference tournament? The big ten website says tickets are for sale now through the schools, but I haven't seen an email and I don't see anything on the Illinois ticket site.

#1,166      

Tacomallini

Washington State
Didn’t know where to post this. Went to a wedding yesterday in Peoria and Bill Cole was there. Didn’t recognize him at first but finally figured it out. After a very late night, went to IHOP in the late morning, and while we were seated a very tall and large black man entered. My daughter said it looked like he almost hit his head on the upper door frame. He looked familiar. After awhile, it dawned on me it was Marcus Griffin. As we were leaving (and I was wearing my Chief hat) we walked by his table and I said “ILL.” He looked at me smiled and said “INI, everyday baby!” Pretty neat to see a couple old Illini!
They got any eligibility left?

#1,167      

CAHALL15

Central Illinois
How is it that 5 games into a season we’re talking about Ayo leaving for the draft? There is a lot of basketball to be played yet and it’s conceivable that he won’t keep this pace up as the season continues. AJ wasn’t going to shoot 60% from 3 the whole season even though he was last December.

I encourage all of you to look at the draft each year and look at who is and is not getting selected. Ayo is young, which is something the NBA loves, but they also like elite athleticism which he lacks and once again, if he ends up averaging something like 12ppg, while good, not elite enough for a 1st round selection. I’m more worried about team chemistry and making improvements as a team, not something that is months away.

#1,170      
After watching the first few games, it's clear we are not only lacking size but also athletic play-makers in general. Downfalls and all, I think this team would look much much better right now if we had a good slasher.

#1,171      

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
After watching the first few games, it's clear we are not only lacking size but also athletic play-makers in general. Downfalls and all, I think this team would look much much better right now if we had a good slasher.
Here you go......

B680EDBE-FD76-40A6-9932-2957B1F437DE.jpeg

#1,172      
Don't like the shield either. I must own 10 Illini shirts, and none have shield and will likely never buy one. Can't say any Illini gear will make my Xmas list.
How about some more recruits?

#1,173      
I just hate losing constantly these days. I feel sorry for the younger fans that don't remember when we were GOOD almost EVERY SEASON. Of course you don't know what you have until it's gone i guess...

#1,174      
I just hate losing constantly these days. I feel sorry for the younger fans that don't remember when we were GOOD almost EVERY SEASON. Of course you don't know what you have until it's gone i guess...

There might not even be younger fans because of all the losing.

#1,175      
I was hoping Kipper would play the roll of Leron Black and help open up the offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.