Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,179      
After having watched Kipper in 3 games in Maui I just dont understand the lack of hustle, the absence of basketball IQ, & the overall lack of enthusiasm. He has all the physical tools but looks like he has checked out mentally. Anyone know the real reason why?

#1,180      
After having watched Kipper in 3 games in Maui I just dont understand the lack of hustle, the absence of basketball IQ, & the overall lack of enthusiasm. He has all the physical tools but looks like he has checked out mentally. Anyone know the real reason why?

Confidence is shot.

#1,182      
Wasn't Kipper more of a three last year?

I think Kipper is a 'tweener and probably why he was a Tulane (I think?) commit. He sure looks like Jimmy Butler, but we don't see much athleticism, much effort, or many smarts. He doesn't seem like he can dribble real well, pass real well, or defend very well . He definitely isn't doing well as a 4, overall, but I'm not sure he'd be a better player as a 3.

#1,183      
No doubt Kipper has hit a wall. It happens, especially to players who are vulnerable mentally. I don't mean that as a knock, btw. Everyone's different, and we all have obstacles to realizing our potential. Some people develop mental skills early in life, and others later. Kipper seems to be going through a period where he's his biggest enemy, and gets down on himself based on results, rather than the effort and process he goes through. I think it's very common for players to focus on results rather than effort and "playing like a champion" and putting in the focus and effort on the things you control. Dee Deron and Luther all wanted to dominate their competition, not just win games, for example. Winning is important, but most people will let up after they win. It's a whole 'nother level to practice with purpose so you get better even when you're winning. That's what fuels teams that make noise in the post season.

Personally, I expect more of the same from Kipper until he comes out of it. Not even sure if he will.

We have to get rid of the losing culture that's taken hold. The fact that we fade late in games really bothers me. Defense is also a really bad indicator. I've written us off for this season because of those two things, but I could just as easily add the fact that we're not running the pinch-post or running the offense for long stretches. There were two plays in a row where we actually ran the offense, and I jumped off the couch in excitement. Guys were moving, cutting hard in rhythm, and getting open. It didn't last, but it was a far cry from telegraphing a lazy alley oop that even I could see coming from a mile away. Or standing around waiting for one of our talented guards to penetrate.

Wake me up when we show (real) signs of life.

#1,186      
Not so sur
I would think this would be a waste of time for both player and program. Hope there is very high interest, getting 3rd place in these battles doesn't move the needle.

Cockburn would be an instant starter at the 5 with Giorgi at the 4. Kane, Higgs, January provide depth at PF/C positions.

Kipper nd Tev would go to more natural SF position, with some at the 4. Ayo, Trent, Feliz, Griffin, Damonte will share minutes 1-3 position.

That would be a well balanced and tough team.
Not so sure Georgi would be at the 4. He can't hardly guard the five, let alone a four who has some quicks and ability to put the ball on the floor. I am thinking Cockburn and January might actually be the the best two - certainly highest rated two - in the frontcourt with the other three as guys off the bench. That would push Kipper to the three, where there would be a logjam of he, Jones, Griffin and maybe Higgs even goes here. Guess it's a good problem to have.

#1,187      

Deleted member 29907

D
Not so sur

Not so sure Georgi would be at the 4. He can't hardly guard the five, let alone a four who has some quicks and ability to put the ball on the floor. I am thinking Cockburn and January might actually be the the best two - certainly highest rated two - in the frontcourt with the other three as guys off the bench. That would push Kipper to the three, where there would be a logjam of he, Jones, Griffin and maybe Higgs even goes here. Guess it's a good problem to have.
Giorgi is a perfect 4 in my opinion. He has good feet, can shoot the three and has taken bigs off the dribble. He's a young Frosh still at this point and I'd say he's doing well (he'll tone down the fouls with experience) considering his college experience.

#1,188      
He has taken fives off the dribble, but there is a difference anymore between the fours and the fives. I think he has shown flashes, but we need a lot more information to draw on whether he is what he appeared to be in games 1-3 or if he is more like the guy we have seen since then. His shooting ability I would think still has the jury out, because he looked solid early, especially G-town game, but not so much since then.
Giorgi is a perfect 4 in my opinion. He has good feet, can shoot the three and has taken bigs off the dribble. He's a young Frosh still at this point and I'd say he's doing well (he'll tone down the fouls with experience) considering his college experience.

#1,189      
Did you watch Giorgi shoot the 3 in Maui? It got to the point everytime he started to throw one up I was screaming "NO".

#1,190      

Deleted member 29907

D
Did you watch Giorgi shoot the 3 in Maui? It got to the point everytime he started to throw one up I was screaming "NO".
I did - did you see him shoot prior to Maui? we can pick games - but I am not counting much of Maui past the first game. yes we lost, but the 2nd game - from the gate we looked like we were running in mud. I don't think the team ever recovered. Not saying he'll be "Finke-like" in ability - but think if left alone he's a threat from 3.

#1,191      
I did - did you see him shoot prior to Maui? we can pick games - but I am not counting much of Maui past the first game. yes we lost, but the 2nd game - from the gate we looked like we were running in mud. I don't think the team ever recovered. Not saying he'll be "Finke-like" in ability - but think if left alone he's a threat from 3.

MVSU was triple dog daring him to shoot the three.

#1,192      

Deleted member 29907

D
MVSU was triple dog daring him to shoot the three.
They seemed to be daring us as a team to do it - and we did. When you're better shooting guns are hot - keep feedin em.

Status
Not open for further replies.