Illini Basketball 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1,476      
When I was growing up, I remember how awful Northwestern was at basketball and football in the late 70s and throughout the 80s and couldn’t imagine anyone rooting for programs like that. I have come to realize that we are now those Northwestern teams of that era. I feel sad for myself and other Illini fans😞. How did we get to this point?

#1,477      
When I was growing up, I remember how awful Northwestern was at basketball and football in the late 70s and throughout the 80s and couldn’t imagine anyone rooting for programs like that. I have come to realize that we are now those Northwestern teams of that era. I feel sad for myself and other Illini fans😞. How did we get to this point?
Agree wholeheartedly

#1,478      

Self left for Kansas and we've been basically chasing recruits ever since. Land one 5* here of there but mostly it's been mediocre to bad ever since.

I remember how exciting it was October 11, 2007 when B. Paul and D.J. Richardson both committed alongside Joe Bertrand. Other than that, what class has really been complete?

#1,479      
There was a year back in the late 90’s when Lon was here where we really struggled. But, we had Frankie, Sergio, and Griffin lined up for the next year. And that is what makes this season so troubling. We have a donut in the hopper. I know we have a verbal from January, but since he didn’t sign I can’t help but think that’s not very solid.

We can’t expect these players in these systems to magically be awesome with an additional year. There are gaps in the schemes that really don’t match our players skill sets - we are severely lacking speed and athleticism needed to press/trap for example.

I just don’t see much hope going forward.

#1,480      

westms77

Gilbert, AZ
Can we get to double digit wins this year? Do you see a path?...man it hurts to post this question. :(

#1,481      
There was a year back in the late 90’s when Lon was here where we really struggled. But, we had Frankie, Sergio, and Griffin lined up for the next year. And that is what makes this season so troubling. We have a donut in the hopper. I know we have a verbal from January, but since he didn’t sign I can’t help but think that’s not very solid.

We can’t expect these players in these systems to magically be awesome with an additional year. There are gaps in the schemes that really don’t match our players skill sets - we are severely lacking speed and athleticism needed to press/trap for example.

I just don’t see much hope going forward.

Also, that 14-18 team went 4-14 against ranked opponents, so the schedule was absolutely brutal, although this season is probably comparable. I had season tickets that year, and it sucked watching them lose a bunch, but it had a completely different feeling than this season. You could see the makings of a good team, and like you said we knew Frank (prop 48) and Griffin (Juco) were coming the next season along with Cook, so there was a lot of hope for the future, at least with me and my roommates. Obviously the BTT run beating 3 ranked opponents in 3 days also did a ton to boost the confidence in how we'd play the next season.

Actually, looking back on that season makes me feel a little better about this year, because you can see the scores getting closer as the season wore on, and all 4 wins against ranked teams came after Feb 6th. Maybe we'll actually see a similar improvement in results this year? Let's hope, because we definitely don't have Frank, Griff, and Cook coming next year.

#1,482      

IllFanInMi

I
Could this next stretch of 4 games be must wins for this program & BU? I don’t think it is that critical, but at a minimum they could be as vital as any stretch of games in a long while, and will tell a very true picture of where this team is at.

Per ESPN, Illinois is favored to win each game, except Mizzery, based on their matchup predictor. I don’t believe Illinois will be favored to win 3 of 4 games at any remaining point this year. Just looking at games that potentially indicate these teams are not gimmes.

Their combined record is 23-11:

UNLV lost by 4 to Cincinnati
ETSU lost to Creighton by 6, beat GA Southern, who beat FAU.
FAU beat UCF
Mizzery beat UCF in OT

Undoubtedly none of these teams have the records we do with our schedule, BUT, this is where a tough schedule SHOULD provide Illinois with a significant advantage, hence my support of playing a tough schedule.

It’s easy to say nobody should expect us to win the games we played outside of the 2 cupcakes, after the fact. Without going back, but most predictors here didn’t have this team at 2-7, so I find it somewhat troubling to change expectations after the fact, most expected more despite the schedule.

These next 4 games in most years (except rivalry/Mizzery) are no way we lose, but are now just winnable, this is a sign of how low expectations, perhaps rightfully so, are becoming.

My expectations are 3-1. 4-0 and I’m thrilled and able to see more positively where this team is in the pack of 300+ D1 teams. Conversely, 2-2 or worse is a HUGE problem for BU and a really bad look and feel for this program

#1,483      

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
No matter how bad this team is (and I don't think they're horrendous), the one goal is to beat Miznoz. I think UNLV is a toss-up, ETSU is one we should win, but I'm not expecting a blowout. FAU should be a comfortable win and the Miznoz game has too many storylines for us to not win. It'll also give me bragging rights, since most of the people in my age bracket and area that care about sports are at least nominally Miznoz fans.

#1,484      
Could this next stretch of 4 games be must wins for this program & BU? I don’t think it is that critical, but at a minimum they could be as vital as any stretch of games in a long while, and will tell a very true picture of where this team is at.

Per ESPN, Illinois is favored to win each game, except Mizzery, based on their matchup predictor. I don’t believe Illinois will be favored to win 3 of 4 games at any remaining point this year. Just looking at games that potentially indicate these teams are not gimmes.

Their combined record is 23-11:

UNLV lost by 4 to Cincinnati
ETSU lost to Creighton by 6, beat GA Southern, who beat FAU.
FAU beat UCF
Mizzery beat UCF in OT

Undoubtedly none of these teams have the records we do with our schedule, BUT, this is where a tough schedule SHOULD provide Illinois with a significant advantage, hence my support of playing a tough schedule.

It’s easy to say nobody should expect us to win the games we played outside of the 2 cupcakes, after the fact. Without going back, but most predictors here didn’t have this team at 2-7, so I find it somewhat troubling to change expectations after the fact, most expected more despite the schedule.

These next 4 games in most years (except rivalry/Mizzery) are no way we lose, but are now just winnable, this is a sign of how low expectations, perhaps rightfully so, are becoming.

My expectations are 3-1. 4-0 and I’m thrilled and able to see more positively where this team is in the pack of 300+ D1 teams. Conversely, 2-2 or worse is a HUGE problem for BU and a really bad look and feel for this program

The team NEEDS to win the next 4 hands down, must have, can't lose. Reputation, Respect, we need to for alot of reasons, most importantly the morale of the team and to lift the spirits of young men who are working and trying to get this program back to respectability. We are young, they have ot work through that. We don't have 5* young we have 3* average at best...keep working it guys. 6-7 going into more play against B1G teams.

6 game winning streak headed into the game against Michigan! 8-7....loss here at 500 gives us a chance to get to 16-14 for the year. BEST case scenario imo!

#1,485      
Funny thing is this game will represent a large portion of our lineup that most think we could of had if Groce would have stayed...

Tilmon
Pickett
Smith

Lets see...I think Giorgi if he stays out of foul trouble will easily negate Tilmon
Williams on Pickett no problem
Ayo on Smith with Frazier...we WIN easily...he will have to drive, he can't create.

I think we win this one alot easier than most think we will.

#1,486      
Have to win the next 4. Kane and Jones have to start playing, hopefully Jones suspension is over

#1,487      

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
I like the timing of these games leading up to Mizzou. We have played some very good competition, taken beating(s), but showed some good signs of what this team can be.

UNLV: W
ETSU: W
Mizzou: W (This is going to be such a fun game to watch this year)
FAU: W

Sure hope they can do this and head into tough Big Ten season with some momentum. I'm still holding out for some amazing results this year and think they are a top 20 team next year. We need some positivity around here, and I do think this is a realistic outcome for this team/program. We are getting there!

#1,488      

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I think many of you are forgetting that Kane missed the whole summer and is playing catch up. Give him some time. He's going to be in the rotation soon.

#1,489      

BlindLoyalty

FartNoiseMotivation
We will be favorites in the next four games, likely double digit favorites in 3 of the next 4 games. If we lose any of those games it will be an upset (including Mizzou...they are brutal).

#1,490      

Deleted member 746094

D
We will be favorites in the next four games, likely double digit favorites in 3 of the next 4 games. If we lose any of those games it will be an upset (including Mizzou...they are brutal).

Attending a Christmas party for wife’s company tomorrow night. One of her colleague’s husband has been season ticket holder for Mizzou football and basketball for 30 years and is legit financial booster. He and I exchanged a few rivalry text this morning. My overall impression is they feel as excited in year two with Cuonzo as we do BU. He doesn’t like the idea of IL coming in to the game with a couple more wins under our belts and confidence. FWIW.

Big Ten is going to be tough for this squad. It would be tough this year for any young team not named Duke. We need to beat UNLV and then move to the next one. A win and a little confidence will help with team a ton.

#1,491      

Deleted member 746094

D
Funny thing is this game will represent a large portion of our lineup that most think we could of had if Groce would have stayed...

Tilmon
Pickett
Smith

Lets see...I think Giorgi if he stays out of foul trouble will easily negate Tilmon
Ayo on Smith with Frazier...we WIN easily...he will have to drive, he can't create.

I like your outlook, but I just don’t see this team beating any high major team with ease. We just don’t have the talent and depth. Right now the drop off from Giorgi to DelaRosa/Higgs is so significant. It’s why BU elects to go small a lot.

#1,492      

Deleted member 29907

D

Tilmon
Pickett
Smith

Agree - I think Giorgi is already as good as Tilmon and he's a year behind in tenure.

#1,494      
ETSU is not a cupcake, FAU beat UCF, and UNLV has some pieces that could make it tough for us.

#1,495      
I like your outlook, but I just don’t see this team beating any high major team with ease. We just don’t have the talent and depth. Right now the drop off from Giorgi to DelaRosa/Higgs is so significant. It’s why BU elects to go small a lot.

Valid points, but I think BU elects to go small also because his scheme is predicated on smaller athletic types as well. But you are right the difference between Giorgi and well DeLaRosa (higgs who knows) is like the grand canyon and a creek bed.

#1,496      

foby

Bonnaroo Land

#1,499      
The next 4 games are winnable but we could legit lose them all as well. ETSU has been good for awhile and FAU isn’t bad. I’d say switch the uni’s on FAU and not that much of a talent disparity.

There is just a serious lack of talent on this team and the brand might be at an all time low. Remember those teams we used to play and you would think “Man, I’m glad we’re not that team?” Well, we’re that team now.

Last edited:
#1,500      

Tilmon
Pickett
Smith

I'm more afraid of the other Mizzou players like Puryear and Geist. Plus, it's an Illinois tradition to host some bench player's coming out party. Not that "coming out," you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.