Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting question, I think it is coaches. Last year there was no MVP named for only the 2nd time in the history of Illinois basketball.

That would have been awkward. There would have been an equal number of coaching staff as players remaining on our team.
I kid, I kid. I'll show myself out the door.

Deleted member 628259

D
Both S.I. and NBADraftExpress have updated their 2019 mock drafts within the last few days and Ayo is not in the first 2 rounds of either.

I think that's for the best all the way around. We get to see Ayo in orange another year, he has another year to bulk up and improve his draft stock, and NBA teams get another year to evaluate him.

He’s a bit of a tweener, but I think he can play the 3. A year ago he was a tough matchup at that position. Of course if he can’t/won’t shoot, he can’t play it.

I used to think he would make a better 3. That is, until I realized that he can't dribble, or pass, and really isn't very good at shooting. I'm not really sure he can guard most 3s either. I always hate to rag on players, but he makes a lot of plays that are boneheaded and appears lazy at times.

Both S.I. and NBADraftExpress have updated their 2019 mock drafts within the last few days and Ayo is not in the first 2 rounds of either.

There is a name on most draft lists that could've (should've according to some) really changed our season though...

Deleted member 746317

D
He’s a bit of a tweener, but I think he can play the 3. A year ago he was a tough matchup at that position. Of course if he can’t/won’t shoot, he can’t play it.
Because I do think about the "3" as a tweener position, I think Kipper (good Kipper) can play it. If Kipper isn't going to be "good" Kipper (won't shoot, won't cut, won't play active defense and rebound), then leave the numbering system out of it - he just shouldn't have a space on the floor (see Logjam comment on player Kipper until we can't).

BU has said (and we've seen flashes) that Kipper can be a good 3pt shooter. I think we've seen Kipper to have a good jumper from the elbow and that he can drive/move around most 4-5 type players, can elevate above most 1-2 players and should be on fair footing re quickness/size/height to guard any opposing player rightly to be called a "3." If the other team is playing 3 guards, then the other team is really playing a 1 and two 2's, and Kipper as a 3/tweener might have quickness problems on D. If that's happening, then we need good Kipper to use his offensive advantages to make the opponents pay the price of putting a 2 out there to defend him. If Kipper can't make them pay for that kind of match, then put Feliz on the floor with Ayo and Trent until that match-up goes away.

Deleted member 746317

D
I used to think he would make a better 3. That is, until I realized that he can't dribble, or pass, and really isn't very good at shooting. I'm not really sure he can guard most 3s either. I always hate to rag on players, but he makes a lot of plays that are boneheaded and appears lazy at times.
I tend to think that dribbling is a somewhat relative skill and have the impression that Kipper dribbles well enough/tight enough to do some wing slashing. Have to admit, that's just an impression and can't say I've been watching for that with him. My impression (again, an impression) is that "good" Kipper can shoot; when "bad" Kipper doesn't shoot well, I think it's because he's taking dumb shots or lazy shots ... Also think "bad" Kipper covers passing problems.

I can't remember a year of Illinois basketball in my lifetime where I went in SO unsure of where we would be as a program and with such a wide range ... could quite literally see a similar, slightly better season where we see too many of the same problems ... and I could see us spending some time in the top 25. It literally all depends on if Ayo stays and what Kofi is like as a freshman. If we catch both of those breaks favorably, I think we could see some very rare one-season-turnaround improvement.

With Kofi being an instant impact, Ayo staying and even somewhat steady improvement from our underclassmen (all up in the air, I admit), I honestly think we'd at least hop into those teams' bracket - and that's all we'd need to do to please most fans, IMO. We don't have to be clear-cut better than those teams, we just have to be their equals. I think we will be, which gets us dancing I hope.

This might have been said before, but if we're not a tournament team next year it might be another few years before we are this good again. Ayo and Kofi probably wont be here in 2020-2021. Those are big holes to fill if we need to be over .500 in the big 10 to make the tournament.

Because I do think about the "3" as a tweener position, I think Kipper (good Kipper) can play it. If Kipper isn't going to be "good" Kipper (won't shoot, won't cut, won't play active defense and rebound), then leave the numbering system out of it - he just shouldn't have a space on the floor (see Logjam comment on player Kipper until we can't).

BU has said (and we've seen flashes) that Kipper can be a good 3pt shooter. I think we've seen Kipper to have a good jumper from the elbow and that he can drive/move around most 4-5 type players, can elevate above most 1-2 players and should be on fair footing re quickness/size/height to guard any opposing player rightly to be called a "3." If the other team is playing 3 guards, then the other team is really playing a 1 and two 2's, and Kipper as a 3/tweener might have quickness problems on D. If that's happening, then we need good Kipper to use his offensive advantages to make the opponents pay the price of putting a 2 out there to defend him. If Kipper can't make them pay for that kind of match, then put Feliz on the floor with Ayo and Trent until that match-up goes away.
I think that playing much of the season with an undersized 3 hurt us on defense, maybe not as much as our lack of size in the post but more than folks might think. If you’re gonna extend your defense and trap, it’s way more difficult to pass out of it if you have a long 6’7” guy coming at you than a 6’2” guard.

Underwood’s system will benefit from having a legit rim protector on the floor, but being able to run a 3 and 4 with mobility and length out there will make a big difference, too.

This might have been said before, but if we're not a tournament team next year it might be another few years before we are this good again. Ayo and Kofi probably wont be here in 2020-2021. Those are big holes to fill if we need to be over .500 in the big 10 to make the tournament.
If they're gone it's good for recruiting because we're sending players to the league. I agree we may have a small window, I'm hoping for 2 years.

Last edited:
I think that playing much of the season with an undersized 3 hurt us on defense, maybe not as much as our lack of size in the post but more than folks might think. If you’re gonna extend your defense and trap, it’s way more difficult to pass out of it if you have a long 6’7” guy coming at you than a 6’2” guard.

Underwood’s system will benefit from having a legit rim protector on the floor, but being able to run a 3 and 4 with mobility and length out there will make a big difference, too.
I do wonder what a zone with Ayo, Alan, Tevian, Giorgi and Samba would do. Lots of length and a change of pace. Maybe when they develop.

I tend to think that dribbling is a somewhat relative skill and have the impression that Kipper dribbles well enough/tight enough to do some wing slashing. Have to admit, that's just an impression and can't say I've been watching for that with him. My impression (again, an impression) is that "good" Kipper can shoot; when "bad" Kipper doesn't shoot well, I think it's because he's taking dumb shots or lazy shots ... Also think "bad" Kipper covers passing problems.

Okay, then. You make fair points and I am on board. Kipper at the 3! :) Really though, you are right that he could reasonable play against other small forwards, but I think in college, he wouldn't get that matchup too often. But yes, if he shoots like he did 17-18, then he is a much better all around player. If he can't shoot, then he is limited in what he can do.

99% of what's wrong with Kipper's game is in between the ears. No longer facing a continual height deficit is bound to help.

Agree that it is in his head, but didn't he play the season prior at the 4 mostly, too? He had a pretty good year. I know Black was there, but weren't most of Kip's minutes at the 4 with Black at the 5?

I do wonder what a zone with Ayo, Alan, Tevian, Giorgi and Samba would do. Lots of length and a change of pace. Maybe when they develop.
That would sure solve the length issue. I think that Trent would benefit from running the point with a lineup like that, he seemed to struggle against larger defenders. If you have a taller guy at the 2 and 3, it's tougher to defend Trent with size.

I'm hopeful that Samba will develop, but right now he just looks uncomfortable if he can't hang around the basket on defense. Even in a 2-3, the center needs to roam a bit. Most modern 2-3 setups have the outside baseline guys creep up quite a ways to guard the wings (see the Syracuse zone for a good example of this), which leaves the center with more responsibility to rotate out. And in a man, the center is constantly popping out to defend the high screen.

Hopefully it clicks for him. He'd be a very nice piece to add to the rotation.

Tacomallini

Washington State
If one or more of the grad transfers being mentioned as possible for next year actually arrive, I think next year will be light years better than this year. Just the added height/size of Kofi, January, and a grad transfer will make a work of difference. It will mean not such incredible mismatches on the defensive side. I'm not as bullish on Samba as some people seem to be nor as bearish on Williams. I do hope Samba stays, but I'm not expecting him to contribute much next year (though hope I'm wrong). Would have been nice if they had been able to red shirt him. I think Da'Monte will benefit from an infusion of size onto the team. He may lose a few minutes in the rotation, but I think he'll be better positioned to succeed. And I think his senior year, we'll feel the same way about him as most did this year about AJ.

Seems like a good assessment. DMW has played major minutes as an underclassman on 2 crappy UI teams. In past years he'd have that time to develop in practice and be competing for major minutes as an upperclassman.

Hello Loyalty,

The Illinois Basketball Managers are the #1 overall seed in the manager games tournament this year. We made it past the first round and for the next 3 days are fan voting to make it to the sweet 16. Please give us a vote on Twitter and get us to the Final Four!

First give us a random tidbit about both the manager and D1 team. /s. Already voted.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
1553224303961.png

There is NO WAY, Kofi is first round 1 and done material! There is also very little chance that Ayo would be guaranteed first round even next year imo as well...I have always thought at best Ayo is 3 and done. We will see....Kofi might be 2 and done IF Fletched gets him slimmed out, and Giorgi gets his feet moving!

Status
Not open for further replies.