Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that depends on whether we get a grad transfer (Holyfield). Reason I say that is Underwood will put his 5 best guys on the court, and I'm skeptical we'll have the depth to go with a really deep rotation. So to me, you're looking at the roster and thinking who's got passable size, experience, and if not in that group of best 5, close enough to get slotted there. So IMO, you're looking at a battle between Kipper and Tevian. Kipper should have the edge, but that's a wide-open battle IMO.

Kofi is a physical beast who has potential to dominate in the paint, but the way we run our offense, the majority of the time, your center is up at the FT line, looking to hand off or pass, or take the jumper. Giorgi was mostly passing the ball, and of those passes, he often did the hand off and was effectively just providing a screen. I can't see Kofi being trusted with that same job until he can take care of the ball, see the court, make good decisions, pass effectively, and have the conditioning to get down the court on defense. I think Samba is more likely to get the back-up 5, and Kofi gets spot minutes as he develops. Could be wrong, but that's my sense of it today.

I will add this: Giorgi is exceptional. Giorgi made the center position look easy, when it's not. Underwood needs vision, good decisions, passing ability, shooting from close-in, hustle and conditioning, as well as handling a center-piece that defends the basket and keeps opposing players away from good post position. Giorgi did an awful lot of that and will get better. We really lucked out, and he's going to be our best option there next year. We need the depth so we have more options and potential mismatches, but he should be the main guy there.
Don't have a clue offensively how they will use Kofi but I will be amazed if he doesn't start because he is needed defensively and on the boards. Agree with you on Giorgi being special at the post position but hope to see him shooting more from there as Kofi will have to be covered low. If Holyfield comes then he will come in for Kofi and Giorgi will guard the center and those three will cover the majority of the minutes for the two positions. Particular matchups may change that and hopefully BU will vary both the offense and defense but Kofi is a piece that needs to be used.

Deleted member 628259

D
Kipper is a mismatch nightmare when he’s confident. He can bully smaller players. He can take bigger players off the dribble. In the high post he can face up and shoot, drive, or use the spin move. He can pick and pop or pick and roll. And he’s one of the better athletes in the team which helps on the glass.

But like I said, this is all CONFIDENT Kipper. No better time to regain that confidence than in the summer when nobody is watching.

Absolutely agree with all that. It just looks to me like confident Kipper is gone and not coming back. I would love to be wrong.

I think what Kofi brings next season is defense and rebounds. We got abused by big front lines, and his mere presence will negate much of that. Whatever he adds on offense is just bonus; we have plenty of scoring options.

Kofi is a physical beast who has potential to dominate in the paint, but the way we run our offense, the majority of the time, your center is up at the FT line, looking to hand off or pass, or take the jumper. Giorgi was mostly passing the ball, and of those passes, he often did the hand off and was effectively just providing a screen. I can't see Kofi being trusted with that same job until he can take care of the ball, see the court, make good decisions, pass effectively, and have the conditioning to get down the court on defense. I think Samba is more likely to get the back-up 5, and Kofi gets spot minutes as he develops. Could be wrong, but that's my sense of it today.

Based on how much Giorgi progressed physically from his arrival on campus to the start of the season, I'm optimistic Underwood/Fletch can get Kofi into proper shape by the time the season rolls around. I also think he'll actually be decent in the role you described based off the (albeit limited) game tape I've seen; he'll certainly set better screens than Samba is capable of. That said, if Samba can develop and specifically develop a three-point shot, he would be a great fit with Giorgi. Let Giorgi operate in the post on offense but cover his defensive limitations on the other side. Hopefully he can get there.

And I agree with those posters that if Holyfield comes here, he is definitely starting alongside Giorgi with Kofi serving as primary backup.

Don't have a clue offensively how they will use Kofi but I will be amazed if he doesn't start

Admittedly I don't know Kofi's game very well. If he's starting, that means he's farther along than I thought, and Giorgi can play one of the four out positions. I'll be very happy if that's the case, and I had underestimated his development.

Admittedly I don't know Kofi's game very well. If he's starting, that means he's farther along than I thought, and Giorgi can play one of the four out positions. I'll be very happy if that's the case, and I had underestimated his development.

Hasn't Kofi been quoted multiple times that he wants to be a one-and-done? I realize that the fact he "wants" it doesn't mean it will happen, but I've got to believe that if it's his stated goal then he must have some agreement with the coaching staff about playing time and possibly being a starter. Obviously that would have to be based on being good enough to be on the floor in the first place.

Maybe I'm making more of this than I should, but something in my gut tells me Kofi will be starting next year. Period. Doesn't mean he'll get the most minutes at the 5, just that he'll be starting. Fouls will dictate playing time, most likely.

Hasn't Kofi been quoted multiple times that he wants to be a one-and-done? I realize that the fact he "wants" it doesn't mean it will happen, but I've got to believe that if it's his stated goal then he must have some agreement with the coaching staff about playing time and possibly being a starter. Obviously that would have to be based on being good enough to be on the floor in the first place.

Maybe I'm making more of this than I should, but something in my gut tells me Kofi will be starting next year. Period. Doesn't mean he'll get the most minutes at the 5, just that he'll be starting. Fouls will dictate playing time, most likely.
During his senior year, Ayo mentioned a few times (at least) that he wanted to be a one and done.

Theres a ton of guys that want to be one and done, honestly who wouldn't. Kofi's rankings suggest he could be, especially more so than others, but his reported style of play just isn't NBA ready, and probably wont be after this year either.

On the other hand, if he is good enough to be a one and done, this upcoming year probably has a very nice outcome for the Illini.

Based on 2019 rankings Kofi definitely should make an immediate impact. He's the 4th highest rated recruit in the B1G after Trayce Davis, DJ Carton and Rocket Watts. Last year's 4th highest rated B1G recruit was Iggy. Oh, BTW, last year Ayo was the 3rd highest rated B1G recruit.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
During his senior year, Ayo mentioned a few times (at least) that he wanted to be a one and done.

Theres a ton of guys that want to be one and done, honestly who wouldn't. Kofi's rankings suggest he could be, especially more so than others, but his reported style of play just isn't NBA ready, and probably wont be after this year either.

On the other hand, if he is good enough to be a one and done, this upcoming year probably has a very nice outcome for the Illini.

Exactly right. If Kofi is NBA material next year we are in fantastic shape.

And these kids, and the whole industry really, have woken up to the reality that an NBA career is the profession these kids are going to college to attain training for, and they are going to do whatever is best to get there.

It's not just basketball players really, the whole society is coming to understand college more as professional training than anything else, whether you're Zion Williamson or Mark Zuckerberg. It's a means to an end.

So have any of our recruits signed a NLI? I thought last week was the week but haven't seen any news. Sorry if I'm out of the loop.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
Prediction for 2019-2020 - Top half of the B10 next year with 50% to dance. With Ayo staying and Kofi coming, we will have a strong team that can help the Illini make the turn back. Kofi, Giorgi, Ayo, Trent, and Tevian as the starting 5. Then we will still have 4 very good players good players to contribute Alan, Andre, DeMonte, and Kipper. Then add in Samba, January, ......

Of course if this same roster played for Clownzo, and he didn't make the NCAAs, we would be all over him, laughingly wondering "How can that guy take two five star recruits and NOT make the tournament?" But with Underwood, we cautiously hope he will make the tourney, but hey, no biggie if we're just .500 and miss the tournament. He's building something!

Last edited:
Of course if this same roster played for Clownzo, and he didn't make the NCAAs, we would be all over him, laughingly wondering "How can that guy take two five star recruits and NOT make the tournament?" But with Underwood, we cautiously hope he will make the tourney, but hey, no biggie if we're just .500 and miss the tournament. He's building something!

Not a fan of Martin getting it done with talented players. But they did have considerable injuries to deal with. Michael Porter never played until the end. This year Jontay Porter was out. And of course Markie was out for a while.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
There's a strong chance that the team will make the tail end of the pre-season top 25 or at least be a strong vote getter. It seems that so far the writers and broadcasters have more faith in next years team than the vocal majority of Loyalty.

Kofi is physically way above anyone we have had at UI. He is listed at 6'10" and was measured at 7' 302#'s and he doesn't look like he has any fat. Oak Hill didn't use him as an early offensive option as they seemed to focus on Anthony. That was similar to Giorgi's situation in HS. However he has played against a very high level of competition and will not have as large a adjustment as most in college. IMO he will start from day1 and be effective defensively and rebounding. His problem will be staying out of foul trouble.

I was coming here to ask the same question. From a pretty basic google search, I am thinking some sort of "smart basketball" that is tracking something.

I’m pretty sure those lights are for backing in a semi trailer. Maybe I’ve spent too much time on the road lately...

Status
Not open for further replies.