Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am not worried about that position. Hopefully Jones steps up but also have Kipper, Alan, and DaMonte. We will be at least good at defense and scoring will not be our problem.
I agree, but if we have to run the SF position by committee, that probably means we don't have a consistent impact player at that spot. I hope someone steps up and takes that position. However, consistency normally comes with maturity and experience and all of those guys will be a year older this year.

I’m guessing that he’s now a ways back in the rotation and he and the coach agreed it would be best to find somewhere that he could make a fresh start.

Folks, we barely have enough to hold a practice unless they run 3 on 3 drills. Any of you still have eligibility and can jump a little?

Folks, we barely have enough to hold a practice unless they run 3 on 3 drills. Any of you still have eligibility and can jump a little?

Ayo, Feliz, Frazier, Giorgi, Kipper, Jones, Griff, Samba, Da'Monte and TU....I'm sure there's another walk on that would allow 5 on 5 subs, but in any case, we have enough for 5 X 5.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Ayo, Feliz, Frazier, Giorgi, Kipper, Jones, Griff, Samba, Da'Monte and TU....I'm sure there's another walk on that would allow 5 on 5 subs, but in any case, we have enough for 5 X 5.
Practice starts the 10th, and Kofi will also be on campus. I have a good feeling there will be at least 2 others there too.

We only returned four scholarship players in each of BU's first two years here.

If Higgs is the end of the outflow, we'll return nine next year. Big time improvement.
Perhaps more importantly is why players leave. It did not surprise me that we had a bunch of players leave that BU did not recruit. Also, you look at a player like Leron Black who had recently gotten married and could play pro ball in Europe and Michael Finke got the chance to play with his brother. The thing that is encouraging is the support from the team that BU got after the investigation into player mistreatment. The culture is healthy and improving. I wish the best for Higgs and January. We all understand why those situations didn't work out.

illini80

Forgottonia
Me too. Does this mean that he’s going to try to play somewhere else ?
Doubt we will ever know exactly the situation unless Higgs wants to talk about it. My speculation is that he wanted to play, but our medical staff won’t clear him. He seems like a good kid and he has some talent, so I don’t know why else he would leave. He absolutely could contribute at a position of need.

illini80

Forgottonia
So, I'm just being technical here for my own curiosity. Entering the portal doesn't mean that he's gone. Is that correct?

I'm only asking as a technicality. I fully expect that he's gone.
I know he can return after entering the portal, but I believe it has to mutual at that point.

Doubt we will ever know exactly the situation unless Higgs wants to talk about it. My speculation is that he wanted to play, but our medical staff won’t clear him. He seems like a good kid and he has some talent, so I don’t know why else he would leave. He absolutely could contribute at a position of need.

Checked out Higgs' Twitter page, and he sounds like an incredible young man. Hope the best for him. On a lighter note, has anyone seen Samba's Twitter profile pic? Makes me an immediate fan.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Checked out Higgs' Twitter page, and he sounds like an incredible young man. Hope the best for him. On a lighter note, has anyone seen Samba's Twitter profile pic? Makes me an immediate fan.
M "Softserve" S getting served proper like. Braggin Rights gonna b fun.

Was looking at the scholarship grid, and realized that BU is on the cusp of completing a rebuild. It is a fragile success at this point, and he will have to win some games and continue to recruit talent (nod to Obelix here), but he has put together a team that is capable of winning a lot of games. It is a testament to his and his assistant's abilities that they have done so mostly with plan C or D guys that have signed in the spring. It bodes well for the time when BU can get his plan A guys.

We currently will have 9 players (including 5 freshmen) with another year of practice and game experience going into next year. We have Kofi replacing ADLR (who was never really at 100%) and Kuoma replacing Higgs (who could give us nothing). That is an upgrade in 11 scholarship players, with no glaring positional weaknesses. We have two other scholarships to replace Aaron Jordan. I don't think you can understate the importance of AJ's leadership last year, but we are not in a similar need of leadership this year. So if we get no one else, I think we are still in a much better place than last year. If we land Holyfield, or anyone else that contributes in any meaningful way given our better roster, that is an upgrade and potentially a significant one.

I am going to enjoy my summer, but I am looking forward to the snow flying and Illini basketball next November. The difference between a 16 win and a 22 win season can be pretty small (yeah, I know it is 6 games), so I have no real prediction for next year. But I know I will enjoy watching the BU's brand of bball and the development of our players. A finish in the top half of the B1G and a tourney berth would be a great bonus.

BTW, call me sentimental, but I am hopeful that Kipper steps up to be this year's Aaron Jordan. He has the talent and, if he is being asked to play the 3/4 instead of the 4/5, his mental approach could be far better. This will be his last opportunity to show the world what he can do. I hope he takes full advantage of that opportunity.

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
On a lighter note, has anyone seen Samba's Twitter profile pic? Makes me an immediate fan.

Samba Kane Twitter.png

Good stuff.

Dren1

Glenview, IL
Was looking at the scholarship grid, and realized that BU is on the cusp of completing a rebuild. It is a fragile success at this point, and he will have to win some games and continue to recruit talent (nod to Obelix here), but he has put together a team that is capable of winning a lot of games. It is a testament to his and his assistant's abilities that they have done so mostly with plan C or D guys that have signed in the spring. It bodes well for the time when BU can get his plan A guys.

We currently will have 9 players (including 5 freshmen) with another year of practice and game experience going into next year. We have Kofi replacing ADLR (who was never really at 100%) and Kuoma replacing Higgs (who could give us nothing). That is an upgrade in 11 scholarship players, with no glaring positional weaknesses. We have two other scholarships to replace Aaron Jordan. I don't think you can understate the importance of AJ's leadership last year, but we are not in a similar need of leadership this year. So if we get no one else, I think we are still in a much better place than last year. If we land Holyfield, or anyone else that contributes in any meaningful way given our better roster, that is an upgrade and potentially a significant one.

I am going to enjoy my summer, but I am looking forward to the snow flying and Illini basketball next November. The difference between a 16 win and a 22 win season can be pretty small (yeah, I know it is 6 games), so I have no real prediction for next year. But I know I will enjoy watching the BU's brand of bball and the development of our players. A finish in the top half of the B1G and a tourney berth would be a great bonus.

BTW, call me sentimental, but I am hopeful that Kipper steps up to be this year's Aaron Jordan. He has the talent and, if he is being asked to play the 3/4 instead of the 4/5, his mental approach could be far better. This will be his last opportunity to show the world what he can do. I hope he takes full advantage of that opportunity.
Good post, however, I am doubtful about Kouma being part of the roster next year. I think it is likely to be someone else given the fact that he has neither visited nor signed, just MHO.

Deleted member 554798

D
Good post, however, I am doubtful about Kouma being part of the roster next year. I think it is likely to be someone else given the fact that he has neither visited nor signed, just MHO.
That would mean we have three better options if he were to not sign which may be true as this staff holds things under wrap better than previous regimes

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa
M "Softserve" S getting served proper like. Braggin Rights gonna b fun.
I’m planning on making my first ever trip to Braggin Rights this year. Might be a hostile one. Let’s please unleash a “Charmin soft” chant for M Smith.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
That would mean we have three better options if he were to not sign which may be true as this staff holds things under wrap better than previous regimes
The secrecy is a good point, I think it is a sign of confidence. We either get the kid or not. No protracted wooing and drooling. Previous regimes felt like they had to show us how hard they were working, I don't think this staff cares about the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.