Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
In regards to Verdonk this kid is playing against kids that were like 16 in some of the videos as he was also 16 in them... just taller... he shows a great deal of skill in the highlights if you watch closely. In one highlight he drives the paint and does a behind the back pass to his teammates while he was being guarded for a score... he shows great shooting form and it's a consistent form. He shows ball handling ability, passing skills, and a great shot with no hesitation to shoot, so he's comfortable. This kid is a great pick up in my opinion and I'm excited to see these kids this year prove doubters wrong.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
As an unknown, the range on Verdonk is failure to great get. Given the late date and open rides, totally worth taking a flyer. Here's hoping Team Scrounge found another winner. Kid needs to get to CU ASAP and get acclimated to big time competition.

jmilt7

Waukegan
No in-person contact with the coaching staff? Seems like a desperation move by both parties.

I’m assuming his tape was sent to more than just Illinois, or is the staff just scouring youtube?

I hope he pans out, its just odd that we’d sign him sight unseen. If he’s blown up enough to deserve that confidence from the staff then I imagine he’d feel empowered enough to demand a visit prior to signing.

We have the room so go for it, but I just have low expectations for this one.

Right. Doesn't anyone else here get a sense of deja vu a la Matic Vesel? Seems like we had the same tapes and comments in regards to Matic. Just a different country. Hopefully they saw something better in BBV.

Bosmans-Verdonk averaged 3.8 points, on 45% (18-40) shooting from the field and 21.7% (5-23) from beyond the arc, along with 2.5 rebounds and 2.5 shots in 13.8 minutes over 17 appearances for KON BC Gistel Oostende last season.
It is unlikely that Bosmans-Verdonk will have much of role this year and he is certainly a candidate to be redshirted.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06...ois-adds-benjamin-bosmans-verdonk-2019-class/

illini80

Forgottonia
While I prefer this to leaving 2 empty rides, there should be no expectations put on this kid. None. If he develops, great. If not there was no harm in trying.

Deleted member 649710

D
This is what recruiting to Illinois Basketball has become? Rides handed out to foreign kids playing in marginal leagues sight unseen? There’s not a single talented American kid that we’ve consistently scouted and developed a relationship with who is interested in joining the program? Wow.

If the staff is going to take a total flyer, wouldn’t it be better to hand a ride to a kid at a school and/or AAU program that could reciprocate with some help down the road?

Last edited by a moderator:

illini80

Forgottonia
Just for fun, here is our class ranking on 247. 1 absolute stud at a critical position of need. 2 projects that could contribute in the future.

IMG_0150.jpg

illini80

Forgottonia
This is what recruiting to Illinois Basketball has become? Rides handed out to foreign kids playing in marginal leagues sight unseen? There’s not a single talented American kid that we’ve consistently scouted and developed a relationship with who is interested in joining the program? Wow.

If the staff is going to take a total flyer, wouldn’t it be better to hand a ride to a kid at a school and/or AAU program that could reciprocate with some help down the road?
It would appear the answer is no.

I'm actually ok with the class as a whole because of Kofi, but man next years class is just huge for the future of this program. One really good player is not going to cut it.

Deleted member 631370

D
Bosmans-Verdonk averaged 3.8 points, on 45% (18-40) shooting from the field and 21.7% (5-23) from beyond the arc, along with 2.5 rebounds and 2.5 shots in 13.8 minutes over 17 appearances for KON BC Gistel Oostende last season.
It is unlikely that Bosmans-Verdonk will have much of role this year and he is certainly a candidate to be redshirted.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/06...ois-adds-benjamin-bosmans-verdonk-2019-class/

Wow, those numbers are......something.

So this talk of him being a 40%+ outside shooter......where did that come from?

Is it much different really. Heck, I don't mind developing a euro pipeline and in your words get reciprocated down the road. Sends a message to kids throughout the world that Illinois may give you a chance. I am sure the staff have watched a lot of film and have spoken to him and his coaches. The thing is I imagine the staff will rarely fly over to europe to check out a player or fly him over. Also the kids was selected to play in some U16 and U18 tournaments, so at least he stood out in the marginal leagues. All that said I do not expect him to make a huge contribution this year, nor do I expect most freshman to contribute.

Wow, those numbers are......something.

So this talk of him being a 40%+ outside shooter......where did that come from?
Looking at the team website. It appears to be a team composed of college and HS aged players. So, he's had to play against older players. I don't suppose anybody knows where that team fit into the national or pro scheme of things?

Looking at the team website. It appears to be a team composed of college and HS aged players. So, he's had to play against older players. I don't suppose anybody knows where that team fit into the national or pro scheme of things?
I think the FIBA 16U team was rated somewhere around 19th in world rankings. IIRC.

As an unknown, the range on Verdonk is failure to great get. Given the late date and open rides, totally worth taking a flyer. Here's hoping Team Scrounge found another winner. Kid needs to get to CU ASAP and get acclimated to big time competition.
Well, summer school starts tomorrow, so if he plans to be a part of the summer prep. he should be somewhere over the Atlantic about now.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
No in-person contact with the coaching staff? Seems like a desperation move by both parties.

I’m assuming his tape was sent to more than just Illinois, or is the staff just scouring youtube?

I hope he pans out, its just odd that we’d sign him sight unseen. If he’s blown up enough to deserve that confidence from the staff then I imagine he’d feel empowered enough to demand a visit prior to signing.

We have the room so go for it, but I just have low expectations for this one.

Desperation on our part would be if he was needed to fill an immediate need. We look pretty solid 1-10 so 11 and 12 might be played in situations when needed, at garbage time, and possible that one may redshirt. He seems to be a great addition at this time, and one that may or may not pay off big down the road. As far as this season, he will perform somewhere between Giorgi and Matic............hoping it is closer to Giorgi.

Deleted member 4960

D
I haven’t seen anywhere that this kid was recruited without any in person contact with the coaching staff. Did see Antigua was recruiting him?

Status
Not open for further replies.