Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Admin
Monday, June 10th: The fist day of summer practice.

Schedule
The non-conference schedule is typically release in late July/early August, the full schedule typically released in late August. What we know so far:

@Grand Canyon (Friday, November 8th)
@Arizona (Sunday, November 10th)
Home vs Miami FL (Monday, December 2nd in B1G/ACC Challenge)
Home vs Old Dominion
vs Missouri in St. Louis

B1G home & away opponents:
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Purdue
Rutgers

B1G home-only opponents:
Indiana
Minnesota
Nebraska

B1G away-only opponents:
Ohio State
Penn State
Wisconsin

Roster
Ayo Dosunmu_______________So.___G
Trent Frazier_____________Jr.___G
Andres Feliz______________Sr.___G
Tevian Jones______________So.___G
Alan Griffin______________So.___G
Da'Monte Williams_________Jr.___G
Kipper Nichols____________Sr.___F
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk__Fr.___F
Giorgi Bezhanishvili______So.___PF
Samba Kane________________So.___C
Kofi Cockburn_____________Fr.___C
Bernard Kouma_____________Fr.___PF

Last edited:
21. Illinois: Get on this bandwagon now. The Illini have figured out how to play for Brad Underwood. And the team returned without taking a hit from the draft. Ayo Dosunmu can be first team all-Big Ten. Trent Frazier is a big-shot maker. And few bring as much passion to playing as Giorgi Bezhanishvili. The glue guys like Andres Feliz make this roster ready for a major jump.
Andy Katz Power 36.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...ball-rankings-andy-katzs-power-36-teams-right

Reading that article makes me wonder what everyone's definition of a "successful" season is. Is a 20 win season, .500 (or just above) in conference and coming out on the right side of the bubble good enough? What do you guys think?
I think yes, that is success, but that's not my expectation. I think that should be our floor this season. I think a top 25 team and a 5 seed or better is real success. Throw in a second weekend in March too.

Deleted member 8313

D
Reading that article makes me wonder what everyone's definition of a "successful" season is. Is a 20 win season, .500 (or just above) in conference and coming out on the right side of the bubble good enough? What do you guys think?
Make the NCAA tourney. Get Miller, Kalkbrenner and and top 150 recruit.

Successful season: Sign 2+ players during the FALL signing period. Improvement shown from the sophomores. "Good Kipper" makes more than 7 appearances. At or better than .500 in the B1G. NCAA tournament berth.

For me, yes. I'd like to see us with 20+ wins and top 6 or 7 in the B1G. We need to show some improvement or Underwood is royally screwed.

Deleted member 649710

D
The Sun Times story has some solid takes. If the team does not significantly improve, make the tourney and land good prospects, Underwood may be out.

The Sun Times story has some solid takes. If the team does not significantly improve, make the tourney and land good prospects, Underwood may be out.
Underwood signed a 6 year deal. They would have to pay him 3 million dollars to go away if they choose to cut bait after next season. I have my doubts that they would be willing to sink that kind of cost.

I would propose the important question is how the future looks, particularly to Josh Whitman. At the end of the year, if we have shown enough to believe the direction is up and it looks like we can get to a reasonable ceiling then you hold pat, if you believe the direction is down you need to move on... improvement, wins/tourney, prospects are all ways to help make that call. The hard part is evaluating all the noise, ...injuries, luck, player development, suspensions, early departures, evaluating how good next year's prospects really are all noise on making that evaluation.

APS iMBA

Urbana, IL

My expectation for this season is that we should make the NCAA Tournament.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Short of some unseen misconduct disaster, or the team completely turning on BU for some reason, he's not going anywhere. This team is finally set up for a run of success. Like poker, it's not always the cards you are holding that brings you success.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Not sure where else to put this, but it does impact a team we play this year (and he's a local kid), so I'll throw it here. Tim Finke is transferring to Wright State (Mark Alstork's alma mater prior to UI) from Grand Canyon. People had posted about Tim announcing he would transfer, but I didn't see it posted where he would transfer. This "news" is about a month old. Wishing him luck and hoping he has a career like Alstork did there.

Interesting basketball podcast with Tate on News Gazette site, particularly for us old timers. Hits all the usual subjects. Thinks Smith situation cost us Liddell and hurts us in STL for some time. Thinks chancellor should quit wasting time on Chief as its not solvable. Nothing earth shattering but interesting.

Interesting basketball podcast with Tate on News Gazette site, particularly for us old timers. Hits all the usual subjects. Thinks Smith situation cost us Liddell and hurts us in STL for some time. Thinks chancellor should quit wasting time on Chief as its not solvable. Nothing earth shattering but interesting.
Didn't hear podcast. Smith left and apparently triggered an investigation of staff that came up empty. Not sure why that would have a lingering impact on recruiting, but.... whateverrrrr

Smith's father evidently putting the bad mouth on Underwood. Not news. Been talked about ever since he left.

Status
Not open for further replies.