Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smith's father evidently putting the bad mouth on Underwood. Not news. Been talked about ever since he left.

This caused me to visit Tigerboard for first time in months. Apparently Smith not yet running after his foot surgery. They expect him back full strength by season's start, but foot injuries can be troublesome so who knows.

Reading Tigerboard really brings out my desire to see us pound Mizery into the dirt this year.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
This caused me to visit Tigerboard for first time in months. Apparently Smith not yet running after his foot surgery. They expect him back full strength by season's start, but foot injuries can be troublesome so who knows.

Reading Tigerboard really brings out my desire to see us pound Mizery into the dirt this year.

IDKWMSI

Smith's father evidently putting the bad mouth on Underwood. Not news. Been talked about ever since he left.
Yep....I would expect that Underwood or any good coach would have a list of parent and player references from previous programs that could counter. Underwood's "post year one" transfers last summer should have been a natural concern for recruits, IMO. For Lidell's recruitment....we were not able to counter adequately. Obviously the team integrity and culture has changed dramatically...kudos to staff for that and lead players for building a hard working and gritty family-like team culture in year 2.

I would enjoy an interview someday with Aaron Jordan....hear his perspective on the team cultural changes, barriers and challenges in year 1 versus year 2.

It's really strange.....worse record in yr 2, but I like yr 2 over yr 1 just because of the team culture and team integrity and identity.

Deleted member 29907

D
Yep....I would expect that Underwood or any good coach would have a list of parent and player references from previous programs that could counter. Underwood's "post year one" transfers last summer should have been a natural concern for recruits, IMO. For Lidell's recruitment....we were not able to counter adequately. Obviously the team integrity and culture has changed dramatically...kudos to staff for that and lead players for building a hard working and gritty family-like team culture in year 2.

I would enjoy an interview someday with Aaron Jordan....hear his perspective on the team cultural changes, barriers and challenges in year 1 versus year 2.

It's really strange.....worse record in yr 2, but I like yr 2 over yr 1 just because of the team culture and team integrity and identity.
Not really strange - significant difference in strength of schedule between y1 and y2 and only 4 returning players - so worse record is no indication of team ability Y2Y. Also, we had some signature wins in Y2 MSU, Maryland away, etc. that showed what we were capable of.

Agree. Unfortunately last year turned out just like I thought it could before the season started, that we could have a better team but still have a worse record because of the tougher schedule. It feels as though Underwood is building something here that is sustainable. Hopefully he can get the players he needs to keep it going.

Any met or unmet expectations that revolves around Fall signees is foolish. Would we love them? Of course. Does it mean anything if we do not have them? No.

Any met or unmet expectations that revolves around Fall signees is foolish. Would we love them? Of course. Does it mean anything if we do not have them? No.
It does mean something. It means Brad Underwood has a supreme challenge in closing the deal on our top targets. We can't continue this trend of burning OVs constantly without commitments. That's why we can't have official visitors right now, because we're out for another 2 months. We close on a few fall signees and *poof* we magically have 2 or 3 extra to use in the spring and summer for transfers.
If all of our spring signees turn out to be Giorgi redux, great! Chances of that happening year over year with multiple players... I have a couple beach houses you'd be interested in.

It does mean something. It means Brad Underwood has a supreme challenge in closing the deal on our top targets. We can't continue this trend of burning OVs constantly without commitments. That's why we can't have official visitors right now, because we're out for another 2 months. We close on a few fall signees and *poof* we magically have 2 or 3 extra to use in the spring and summer for transfers.
If all of our spring signees turn out to be Giorgi redux, great! Chances of that happening year over year with multiple players... I have a couple beach houses you'd be interested in.

Don't use all the OVs in the autumn. Save some for the spring and summer. :)

Tacomallini

Washington State

The way players (including eventual trasfer Higgs) took to social media in support of 'Wood after the Mark Smith nonsense came out spoke volumes. I think the core of the team is stronger b/c of it, although that is a bummer (if true) that we lost Liddell in the process.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
The way players (including eventual trasfer Higgs) took to social media in support of 'Wood after the Mark Smith nonsense came out spoke volumes. I think the core of the team is stronger b/c of it, although that is a bummer (if true) that we lost Liddell in the process.

Not true, IMO. #notaninsider

Don't use all the OVs in the autumn. Save some for the spring and summer. :)
We did though and still couldn't get any commits that visited in the spring. That's what is most concerning, the lack of closing while prospects are on campus. So it should be an expectation for the 2019-2020 season that we see fall commitments and signatures on the LOI.

Hands Malone

Quad-Cities, IL

Foot injuries rarely turn out well. Look for his wheels to be a problem from now on. He will definitely be slower and have less lift for his shot.

Has anybody coined "Verdonkulous" yet?
It's gonna happen, and you heard it here first!! (or second, or third...)

I have high hopes for Kipper this year playing in position. Thinking with my heart not necessarily my brain on this one.

This isn't meant as a knock on Kipper, but the good news is I think last year's version of Kipper was his absolute floor. I'd be surprised if he doesn't show improvement this year (he can only go up, right?). Even a modest 6-8 pts a game and a few boards will help this team.

Status
Not open for further replies.