Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 645583

D
I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna, but there is obvious reason to believe Illini will be much improved this coming season.

Katz rates them #20? Can it be? Don't know a thing about Mr. Katz. Is he reputable, reliable, accurate? He said Giorgi got on him about earlier #36 ranking. I think Giorgi is reputable, reliable and accurate.

I have no problem with Illiinois basketball going global; Illini golf has and with great results.

I wondered when Illinois last had an all-Illinois team - must have been Whiz Kids. Don't know.

But 88-89 team was all-Illinois guys except for Rodney Jones, Philadelphia, and he left.

I'm curious to see how long it will take Fletch to get Kouma up to snuff with strength and conditioning. He's just an inch or two shorter than Kofi but 100 pounds lighter. I think Samba will be stronger this year and I'm excited to see how the added size can help us this year....Could be Verdonkulous!

Bailey

Los Angeles
Katz rates them #20? Can it be? Don't know a thing about Mr. Katz. Is he reputable, reliable, accurate? He said Giorgi got on him about earlier #36 ranking. I think Giorgi is reputable, reliable and accurate.

It'll be a fun year, but be weary of journalists finding a way to include Illinois basketball prominently in their pieces. We are a rabid fanbase that will click. There's incentive to bring up Illinois in an article about recruiting, rankings, fanbases etc etc

Like the fact that BU is adapting. Year 1 he wasn't worried about size. Year 3, recruits are 7', 6'10" and 6'7"". Predicting he will also do some changing in his defensive schemes.

I chatted up with Brad his first year and we got on the subject of size. I got the impression he was concerned about size, but there wasn’t much to do about it. Everyone kind of knew when he was addressing the media saying he wasn’t worried about size was just coach speak or trying to instill confidence in his guys.

Like the fact that BU is adapting. Year 1 he wasn't worried about size. Year 3, recruits are 7', 6'10" and 6'7"". Predicting he will also do some changing in his defensive schemes.

2009-03-18 22.24.36.jpg

Good God am I excited for this season!! Let's GOOOOOO

Deleted member 645583

D
The NBA is hardly the only professional avenue. A guy like Giorgi could thrive in any number of Euro leagues.
With all due respect to your post, I meant by "pro scouts" all pro scouts everywhere, not just NBA.

I hope Giorgi's an Illini until his graduation day in Champaign.

Likewise with Ayo: please consider a third year at Illinois. You're helping build something at Illinois. Do not forsake us. Finish high in the BIG 14, make the tournament. Then go pro if you must.

Fly the Chief flag! Flying Illini!

Deleted member 645583

D
Verdi is a great writer. The Hawks did well to scoop him up.

Giorgi is a gem. He's what, 20? Think there's a chance he'll play 3 years for us.
I certainly hope so. Fan favorite, appears to love Illinois. He's just one reason I hope to see Illinii play at Assembly Hall this fall. Last time I was there: Dee Brown. My favorite Illini, but Giorgi is a contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thing, and I'll take a break. I'm just binge-posting.

James Coburn in "The Magnificent Seven" with his knife beat Robert Wilkie who had a six-shooter.

I'll go back to TCM for the day and post later with something pithy about Illini basketball.

Another line I love is former Chicago Tribune sportswriter Bob Verdi describing someone as "full of pith and vinegar".

He also wrote of US in one winter Olympics event way back: "First in war, first in peace ... and 33rd in the luge!"

US has since done much better in luge.

Thanks for your time.

Go Illini!

Can't say enough about what Giorgi means to this program. I hope he stays all four years, but you never know. I bet some pro scouts are keeping an eye on him.
In the 2004 song " The Cape ", by Eric Bipp, there's a lyric " Full of Piss and Vinegar ". I wonder if Bob Verdi had heard that song?

Can't wait to get this party started !!

Go Illini

Deleted member 645583

D
In the 2004 song " The Cape ", by Eric Bipp, there's a lyric " Full of Piss and Vinegar ". I wonder if Bob Verdi had heard that song?

Can't wait to get this party started !!

Go Illini
Piss and Vinegar has long been an expression. But Verdi played on it. I agree with you, get the party started - if you mean go Illini basketball.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I do not understand your reply. I think any Illini basketball fan would want Ayo to stick around. Did I miss the point of your post? Please advise.

In no way was I putting myself in Ayo's shoes: I wear a 9 & 1/2 an he's gotta be size 14 at least.

I'm just old school - when athletes stayed in school all four years (Butkus, Sayers et al) and then went pro.

The good old days; It was so much simpler then. And right on!

The notion that Ayo will be better served by foregoing a huge guaranteed contract and stay in school, is flipping ridonk. And he'd be putting off his huge payday (2nd contract) for a year. Makes absolutely no sense.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
The notion that Ayo will be better served by foregoing a huge guaranteed contract and stay in school, is flipping ridonk. And he'd be putting off his huge payday (2nd contract) for a year. Makes absolutely no sense.

Agreed. I've always felt that if you're a solid 1st round prospect, you should declare as soon as you can. If you're lottery, run..don't walk to the nearest agent. It's just not worth the risk. I'm also one who is in general agreement that Trevor Lawrence at Clemson should sit a season and then get drafted (again, if there's a high confidence he'd get drafted in the 1st round, which I believe there is). It doesn't sit well with me from an emotional point of view for obvious reasons, but from a pragmatic and rationalistic point of view, it just makes so much sense.

And, as an Illini fan, I'd wholeheartedly support Ayo leaving after next year if the prospects are right. It's those that leave that are on the edge that I get more disappointed about (a la Jeremy Richmond).

I've got a good feeling about Feliz with a year under his belt.

That kid is tough as nails and will be the "it" factor that all good teams need... and rely on.

Shame on me for forgetting we have him for one more year. I love that kid. My expectations just increased a bit.

Agreed. I've always felt that if you're a solid 1st round prospect, you should declare as soon as you can. If you're lottery, run..don't walk to the nearest agent. It's just not worth the risk. I'm also one who is in general agreement that Trevor Lawrence at Clemson should sit a season and then get drafted (again, if there's a high confidence he'd get drafted in the 1st round, which I believe there is). It doesn't sit well with me from an emotional point of view for obvious reasons, but from a pragmatic and rationalistic point of view, it just makes so much sense.

And, as an Illini fan, I'd wholeheartedly support Ayo leaving after next year if the prospects are right. It's those that leave that are on the edge that I get more disappointed about (a la Jeremy Richmond).

The perception that the program can take a talent like Ayo and help him develop into a 1st round pick and make a lot of $$$$$ may do more for the Illini basketball program than having Ayo stick around one more year....not that I would mind him staying....just saying ...him leaving after this year may benefit the program more than a person realizes....plus opens up a PG spot the next year for another talent looking to improve and move onto the next level...just saying

Status
Not open for further replies.