Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
Hahahahaha
I don't know how the "Queen of Reckless, Optimistic Takes" can laugh about a post guessing that Kipper will a decent wing that's starting going into B1G play. We don't have anyone proven at the wing yet and while Tevian is likely the favorite, I'd give Kipper ~20% chance of putting things together. I feel bad for Kipper, I honestly think he'd been a much better player on other teams where he could have grown and developed as a wing. He came here and got stuck playing out of his natural position as a 4 and 5. He's shown flashes of great talent, but could never string enough flashes together to build confidence that he needs so desperately. We all talk about Kipper and his mentality and how it's holding him back. Do any of you know how hard it is to play out of position against guys who are equally or more talented and playing their natural position? It sucks. It's mentally and physically draining when you get beat over and over again and it's not really your fault because your coach didn't put together the correct team composition. I'm really, really rooting for Kipper this year. I hope he has a solid year and has an opportunity to get solid playing time as a grad transfer somewhere(if he's eligible).

I hope someone with the facts weighs in on this. I thought it was stated earlier that unless a player is currently enrolled, they are not allowed to participate in team activities.

Per the 247sports article, he can practice in the 10 practices.

However, being that the Illini are headed on an overseas trip to Italy from Aug. 4-14, they have 10 team practices to use at any time during the summer term. Bosmans-Verdonk can participate in those remaining practices and he will play in Italy next month — team sources told Illini Inquirer.

https://247sports.com/college/illin...g-Illini-for-lead-up-to-Italy-trip-133493819/

Deleted member 643761

D
Kinda tough to do since we don't start until November, unless you're talking about games in Italy.

Well, no, it's impossible at this point.

And that's the point. some people are not yet excited because they want to see the results on the court. Obviously others are getting amped up without that.

To each his own, but I'm not going to deny anyone their well earned skepticism.

Germanboxers

Fort Wayne, IN
Well, no, it's impossible at this point.

And that's the point. some people are not yet excited because they want to see the results on the court. Obviously others are getting amped up without that.

To each his own, but I'm not going to deny anyone their well earned skepticism.

Will you also attempt to deny anyone’s much needed optimism

Deleted member 643761

D
Will you also attempt to deny anyone’s much needed optimism
As I said, to each his own. The discussion started with the "I am not sure what it will take for you to get excited. " quote.

I'm very optimistic myself without really being overly excited. In fact, I'd bet it'll be about first week of January before I'm really convinced as to how the season will go.

I'm not a big fan of people raining on other's fantasy parades and also not a big fan of the "come on, get excited!" crowd. Let everyone settle in to the preseason as they will.

Germanboxers

Fort Wayne, IN
As I said, to each his own. The discussion started with the "I am not sure what it will take for you to get excited. " quote.

I'm very optimistic myself without really being overly excited. In fact, I'd bet it'll be about first week of January before I'm really convinced as to how the season will go.

I'm not a big fan of people raining on other's fantasy parades and also not a big fan of the "come on, get excited!" crowd. Let everyone settle in to the preseason as they will.

Fair enough. Thanks.

I’d love to see Samba be much improved and I think he will be. But not sure that will translate all that much into meaningful minutes. He has a long ways to go and others on team will be making strides too. I do think if he sticks around though by his junior year he’ll be a solid contributor.

Deleted member 29907

D
I’d love to see Samba be much improved and I think he will be. But not sure that will translate all that much into meaningful minutes. He has a long ways to go and others on team will be making strides too. I do think if he sticks around though by his junior year he’ll be a solid contributor.
I expect a big jump this year. While he didn't play a lot, the times he did play he seemed to get it. His strength did not allow much court time against stronger bigs - hopefully he's much stronger this year. We need his minutes and for him to channel Nanna's shot blocking skills. Nice mention from Trent in the other article re: Samba.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Great clip on Samba. Really looking forward to seeing the new and improved version. Expecting quality minutes. Seems like a real good kid too.

It's very clear that Kane has worked hard on his physical development. Looks much stronger than when he got to CU.

Deleted member 554798

D
Think Samba has a chance to be good. Showed some nice flashes last year. Fake hand off drive and took it to the rack not to mention the turnaround jumpers he hit from twelve feet. Those weren’t lucky shots. They were very fluid and had great form. I believe it was also the Indiana game where it was a layup drill except for the three minutes Samba played. He’s a young mobile 7 footer. Guy has a chance let’s give him one

Think Samba has a chance to be good. Showed some nice flashes last year. Fake hand off drive and took it to the rack not to mention the turnaround jumpers he hit from twelve feet. Those weren’t lucky shots. They were very fluid and had great form. I believe it was also the Indiana game where it was a layup drill except for the three minutes Samba played. He’s a young mobile 7 footer. Guy has a chance let’s give him one

Remember that Samba reclassified... he could have been in the 2019 class and would be a freshman this year. I think he should be able to play solid team defense and rebound with the 10-15 minutes he gets this year, and that would be perfectly fine.

So I'm curious as to what people mean by quality minutes for Samba this year and what kind of stats they are expecting he'll put up. I'm thinking something like Nnanna's freshman year stats would be a great success for Samba this year. In 313 minutes (9.8 mpg) over 32 games Egwu averaged 1.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 bpg in his first year. Last year Samba played 86 minutes (4.8 mpg) in 18 games and averaged 1.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, and 0.6 bpg. I'm not convinced he'll do that, but I think that is possible. Are people expecting more from him than that?

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
So I'm curious as to what people mean by quality minutes for Samba this year and what kind of stats they are expecting he'll put up. I'm thinking something like Nnanna's freshman year stats would be a great success for Samba this year. In 313 minutes (9.8 mpg) over 32 games Egwu averaged 1.9 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 0.6 bpg in his first year. Last year Samba played 86 minutes (4.8 mpg) in 18 games and averaged 1.5 ppg, 0.5 rpg, and 0.6 bpg. I'm not convinced he'll do that, but I think that is possible. Are people expecting more from him than that?

Hoping for ~10-15 mpg and little dropoff from Kofi, at least on D/rebounding. Expecting Kane to be even more of an eraser this season. Has really good physical attributes. Might even be short selling him there. Not expecting much offensively. Will be very happy to be surprised. I think he's got some O in him, just needs time. Obviously, his tick is dependent on how he plays.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL

I was going to post some type of overly optimistic post, with 10 boards a game. But honestly, I could see 12 mpg, 4 ppg, 2 rpg and 2 bpg (I think he will be a blocking machine). Early on, I am guessing Kofi will have trouble staying on the court, so Samba will play a lot in the non-con. So, numbers could be skewed.

Hoping for ~10-15 mpg and little dropoff from Kofi, at least on D/rebounding. Expecting Kane to be even more of an eraser this season. Has really good physical attributes. Might even be short selling him there. Not expecting much offensively. Will be very happy to be surprised. I think he's got some O in him, just needs time. Obviously, his tick is dependent on how he plays.
Fortunately, I do not think Samba will relied upon for too much offense this year but he absolutely will need tobe a rim protector. What intrigues me is the different lineups that we may see due to finally having a good stable of bigs. It will be interesting too see multiple bigs on the floor at the same time and see what that flexibility does for the team. Imagine Giorgi and Kofi playing at the same time, Giorgi and Kouma, Kofi and Samba, etc. If we get good contribution on the wing this could be a fun season...

Fortunately, I do not think Samba will relied upon for too much offense this year but he absolutely will need tobe a rim protector. What intrigues me is the different lineups that we may see due to finally having a good stable of bigs. It will be interesting too see multiple bigs on the floor at the same time and see what that flexibility does for the team. Imagine Giorgi and Kofi playing at the same time, Giorgi and Kouma, Kofi and Samba, etc. If we get good contribution on the wing this could be a fun season...

This year aside, I really like how our front court is going to look in the next 1-2 years. (assuming no mass transfers and all that)

I if Samba can play defense and rebound we are in good shape. He will probably get a couple of baskets a game on offensive rebounds and that will be enough. I am expecting more zone defense this year and Samba's length would be very valuable. Lots of different pieces this year and also experience. Should result in different looks both offensively and defensively. Should be fun to coach and BU's demeanor seems to substantiate that.

I if Samba can play defense and rebound we are in good shape. He will probably get a couple of baskets a game on offensive rebounds and that will be enough. I am expecting more zone defense this year and Samba's length would be very valuable. Lots of different pieces this year and also experience. Should result in different looks both offensively and defensively. Should be fun to coach and BU's demeanor seems to substantiate that.

Think you may be right about the zone - young bigs and an extended 3 point line would support that theory.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I expect a big jump this year. While he didn't play a lot, the times he did play he seemed to get it. His strength did not allow much court time against stronger bigs - hopefully he's much stronger this year. We need his minutes and for him to channel Nanna's shot blocking skills. Nice mention from Trent in the other article re: Samba.
He has good timing as a shot-blocker. Last season averaged 1 every 8.7 minutes. If he plays 10-15 mins a game this year, I'd expect close to 2 blocks a game.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD
He has good timing as a shot-blocker. Last season averaged 1 every 8.7 minutes. If he plays 10-15 mins a game this year, I'd expect close to 2 blocks a game.
I think everyone is a bit high on Samba's block numbers. Only 5 players last year in all of the NCAA averaged even 3 blocks a game last year and they played 24+ minutes each (only one of them played on a P5 team). Tacko Fall at 7'6" only averaged 2.6 blocks in about 25 minutes per game. The idea that Samba is going to get 2 per game is a bit far fetched for me in 10-15 minutes. He did average a block every 8.7 minutes, but the sample size (10 blocks in 87 minutes) is small to extrapolate for about 4 times the amount of playing time. The best block/min average last year for qualifying players was Kylor Kelly of Oregon State at 1 block/7 min.

Status
Not open for further replies.