Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why Sambas left i don't know. Is he's looking at playing time this year and the possibility of a guy like Kalbrener (whatever his name is) possibly coming next year? Everybody wants to play that i know. Regardless of players getting better with a year experience i don't want to see GB playing extended minutes at the 5, again. That's a line-up that doesn't rebound well, cause problems in the post on defense, or protect the basket very well, which is why i wish Samba were staying. Maybe, Kouzma can play that role i hope so. Gotta get him on campus first.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Well...all the Samba optimism is out the door now. Not quite as late in the summer as the Eboigbodin news last year though, is it?

If I remember correctly the Ebo announcement was early June. And there were a lot of posts about that. I think many more than SK at least so far.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
This, to me, is a pretty good indication that Kalkbrenner has become a priority/likelihood for us (insert MIF pipeline/THT talk), and he is more polished at his current stage than Kane. This, combined with Kane's academic stuff, may be the best outcome for him IMO. Best of luck to a good kid. I hope he sees lot's of playing time somewhere.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This, to me, is a pretty good indication that Kalkbrenner has become a priority/likelihood for us (insert MIF pipeline/THT talk), and he is more polished at his current stage than Kane. This, combined with Kane's academic stuff, may be the best outcome for him IMO. Best of luck to a good kid. I hope he sees lot's of playing time somewhere.

Samba's decision had nothing to do with Kalkbrenner, IMO.

I lay a dozen defections over 2 years entirely on the Illinois staff. Just as bad on the football side. Hard to keep up an encouraging outlook on the upcoming seasons.

Samba Kane tantalizes us with a WCIA piece

Two of the ten Italy practices are in the books.

After the 2nd practice SK announces a transfer

Players like to play and if you are looking at 6-8 minutes a game this year with no assurance that Kofi will go pro after this year and you hope to make a living playing this game, that transfer portal looks very appealing. Hurts our depth no doubt but if you are putting in 11 months of work with absolutely no guarantee that you are going to see the floor until maybe your senior year, I can see his point.

Are you upset about creaning because Kane has potential? Or because you don't like creaning? Because it sounds like it's about his potential in which case you'd need to wait to see who gets the scholarship before you puke.
I'm upset about his potential. We already know who several of the open scholarships are going to, so I'm not sure we do need to wait at this point.

Deleted member 643761

D
I'm upset about his potential. We already know who several of the open scholarships are going to, so I'm not sure we do need to wait at this point.
Hey since you know let the rest of us in on the news!

This list of senarios seems to me to be most appropriate. It did seem Samba was all-in for the Illini. So, it does not appear that it was HIS decision. Was it his "handlers" or the U of I? That we can only speculate. However, if the staff did not see him as a good fit for what they wanted to accomplish, this might have been indicated to him. While I do not "like" "creaning", any situation is possible, and it is not MY job on the line, so my envaluations are missing some/all the information.
Just to be clear, I think there is very little chance he was creamed in the sense that we wanted to make room for a better player, still have an open scholarship & 7 ft with some athleticism is hard to come by. If Maverick could crack the starting lineup by Sr year, no reason Samba couldn’t get there.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Just to be clear, I think there is very little chance he was creamed in the sense that we wanted to make room for a better player, still have an open scholarship & 7 ft with some athleticism is hard to come by. If Maverick could crack the starting lineup by Sr year, no reason Samba couldn’t get there.

Creamed vs Creaned

Creamed
giphy.gif

Creaned
tenor.gif

foby

Bonnaroo Land
After sitting out a year, and then having 2 great years at Wright State, I expect young Mr. Finke to grad transfer to UI. Mark that down (And remind me when it doesn't happen).

AEX

Danger Zone
This list of senarios seems to me to be most appropriate. It did seem Samba was all-in for the Illini. So, it does not appear that it was HIS decision. Was it his "handlers" or the U of I? That we can only speculate. However, if the staff did not see him as a good fit for what they wanted to accomplish, this might have been indicated to him. While I do not "like" "creaning", any situation is possible, and it is not MY job on the line, so my envaluations are missing some/all the information.

So why recruit him in the first place? The vast majority of bigs need time to develop. The coaches need to be able to motivate players who don’t see a ton of minutes their first year to work hard toward improvement and compete for playing time. Losing players like Ebo or Kane doesn’t make a huge impact on the next season, but it impacts the quality of the team down the road. This is even more the case given how long it seems to take players to figure out Underwood’s system.

Not for sure why he is transferring. If it’s on his own accord, I just don’t get it. One year after you are a pretty raw recruit doesn’t make much sense. He would have got some playing time this year. If it is on him it’s just another sign of the epidemic of all these young kids transferring.

I saw Samba and Chew in Chipotle a few nights before the article hit and Chin was trying to explain somethings and Samba's body language was real bad! The little bit I heard it had something to do with someone outside the program getting in his ear about his situation and Chin was trying to counter it. No Creaning here!!!

Me thinks he is going to find out that the grass is not always greener somewhere else. No I in Team.

Mav had skill and was the player of the year in Ohio. Samba is not as good as Mav and imo wont be. Being athletic doesnt always equate to being good at basketball. Would you prefer Ebo or GB? Plain and simply Samba was smart to.leave if he wants to play with who is on the team and those we are likely to recruit.

Last edited:

Soulberries

University of Illinois
I don’t for a second believe Samba was Creaned, especially in light of the recent praise heaped on him by Underwood and the fact that we already have an open scholarship. I don’t believe lack of playing time was the deciding factor when I, for one, believe he was looking at a potentially significant increase in backup minutes in the post with Giorgi getting a lot of time at PF and the only other C being a freshman who isn’t even on campus. And I certainly don’t believe he’s running scared from a 2020 recruit who hasn’t even declared he’ll be an Illini (and has even pointed at another school as his “dream school”).

Why is it so hard to accept that Samba has his reasons, whatever they may be, and the decision is his alone? Why is it so inconceivable that this does not represent a failing of our coach(es), but is just a case where it didn’t work out for him. I am disappointed he’s leaving (apparently), but I respect his right to do what he believes is best for him and wish him well.

I don’t for a second believe Samba was Creaned, especially in light of the recent praise heaped on him by Underwood and the fact that we already have an open scholarship. I don’t believe lack of playing time was the deciding factor when I, for one, believe he was looking at a potentially significant increase in backup minutes in the post with Giorgi getting a lot of time at PF and the only other C being a freshman who isn’t even on campus. And I certainly don’t believe he’s running scared from a 2020 recruit who hasn’t even declared he’ll be an Illini (and has even pointed at another school as his “dream school”).

Why is it so hard to accept that Samba has his reasons, whatever they may be, and the decision is his alone? Why is it so inconceivable that this does not represent a failing of our coach(es), but is just a case where it didn’t work out for him. I am disappointed he’s leaving (apparently), but I respect his right to do what he believes is best for him and wish him well.

We do have Kofi at the 5, but I generally agree with your post. BU praising him probably had to do with trying to encourage him to stay.

breadman

Herndon, VA
I saw Samba and Chew in Chipotle a few nights before the article hit and Chin was trying to explain somethings and Samba's body language was real bad! The little bit I heard it had something to do with someone outside the program getting in his ear about his situation and Chin was trying to counter it. No Creaning here!!!

Thanks much for sharing your first hand observation of this. If the portal is not a final goodbye, then let's hope that Chin is continuing this conversation and we get Samba back on the team. I truly believe this team needs him, this coaching staff needs him and the success of this team needs him. Bring back Samba!!!

Dbell1981

Decatur, IL

You are making too much sense and not being irrational enough. You obviously dont know how to express feelings on this board. And I hope you also realize I'm being completely sarcastic! Great post.

Deleted member 29907

D
Mav had skill and was the player of the year in Ohio. Samba is not as good as Mav and imo wont be. Being athletic doesnt always equate to being good at basketball. Would you prefer Ebo or GB? Plain and simply Samba was smart to.leave if he wants to play with who is on the team and those we are likely to recruit.
I am not sure why we would equate the ability to jump with athleticism - without opening the entire Larry Bird theme - GB is more athletic than Ebo. Hands, feet, quickness, ability to shoot with both hands, create space, pass.... the list goes on for GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.