Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to be seeing a lack of patience with these kids that have aspirations of playing at the next level. Everyone wants to be a one and done. If Illinois does not get that for them, the grass must be greener elsewhere. I am not saying that this is absolutely the situation with Samba but, the prospect of staying at Illinois as a role player for a couple years with a chance at breakout status down the road, may not seem as attractive as increased playing time now and a potentially starring role. Samba might be better served by staying and developing his talents over time. He just may not be able to see that.

I am not sure why we would equate the ability to jump with athleticism - without opening the entire Larry Bird theme - GB is more athletic than Ebo. Hands, feet, quickness, ability to shoot with both hands, create space, pass.... the list goes on for GB.
I think that you are kind of confusing skill and basketball knowledge with athleticism. GB can only dream of being the athlete that Ebo is!

Deleted member 29907

D
I think that you are kind of confusing skill and basketball knowledge with athleticism. GB can only dream of being the athlete that Ebo is!
As long as you don't count hands - which are kind of a key athletic capability etc. Not confusing them at all - to do what GB did last year you need both. I think you're confusing the ability to jump with athleticism.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
We seem to be seeing a lack of patience with these kids that have aspirations of playing at the next level. Everyone wants to be a one and done. If Illinois does not get that for them, the grass must be greener elsewhere. I am not saying that this is absolutely the situation with Samba but, the prospect of staying at Illinois as a role player for a couple years with a chance at breakout status down the road, may not seem as attractive as increased playing time now and a potentially starring role. Samba might be better served by staying and developing his talents over time. He just may not be able to see that.

Kane is pretty much blocked from than ~12 mpg for the next 2 seasons. He can go elsewhere (myriad options) and get 25 mpg (assuming he makes a good choice). Yes, there's risk, but there's arguably more risk staying. This looks like 100% a business decision.

Deleted member 631370

D
I saw Samba and Chew in Chipotle a few nights before the article hit and Chin was trying to explain somethings and Samba's body language was real bad! The little bit I heard it had something to do with someone outside the program getting in his ear about his situation and Chin was trying to counter it. No Creaning here!!!

Are you sure the body language wasn't because they were out of barbacoa?

I am not sure why we would equate the ability to jump with athleticism - without opening the entire Larry Bird theme - GB is more athletic than Ebo. Hands, feet, quickness, ability to shoot with both hands, create space, pass.... the list goes on for GB.
I totally agree with you. I am just going by what was said by most on this board about Ebo. I think GB and Bird are and were great athletes but most equate jumping and speed with it. I should have stated that most felt that way. I didnt. However, I do think it similar to Sambas situation.

Great thoughtful response. Was he quicker than GB? Faster? Stronger? Read the definition. If so I NEVER saw it on the court.
I think Ebo may have been faster and could jump higher which is what most people imo incorrectly equate solely to athleticism.. However, hand eye coordination, ability to use both hands reaction time, agility, quickness, and overall strength I'd side with GB. GB us very coordinated in his hands and feet especailly for a large man, that is a rare athletic trait Those other athleyic traits that GB excels at really enhance someone ability to play basketball more than just foot speed and jumping.

Not sure it is readily available but wonder what % of players have entered the portal and stayed at their current school. Like putting their name in the draft and then withdrawing it to see what the options are. Saw it in football players several times but not aware of it in BB but has probably occurred. Might make sense as it allows them to talk to other coaches so equivalent to initial recruiting as long as the current coach doesn't withdraw any offers.

No way did Samba get Creaned. Does anybody know when the basketball players get their stipends & how much they are?

Mav had skill and was the player of the year in Ohio. Samba is not as good as Mav and imo wont be. Being athletic doesnt always equate to being good at basketball. Would you prefer Ebo or GB? Plain and simply Samba was smart to.leave if he wants to play with who is on the team and those we are likely to recruit.
Both Maverick and Samba were bad to very bad as freshman. Samba had potential and a higher ceiling IMO than Morgan, he may have bombed, but other than you, most didn’t expect much from Morgan after his first 2 years here. But the point is there was still plenty of time for Kane to develop. Last week too many were optimistic he was going to be major contributor this coming season, now the consensus is he had no chance. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Kane is pretty much blocked from than ~12 mpg for the next 2 seasons. He can go elsewhere (myriad options) and get 25 mpg (assuming he makes a good choice). Yes, there's risk, but there's arguably more risk staying. This looks like 100% a business decision.
Not disagreeing with the final number , but personally I think we had plenty of minutes available for Kane, the limiting factor is how ready he is. It seems certain we will try GB & Kofi on the floor together @ the 4 & 5, if you told me GB plays 30 mpg Kofi plays 25 mpg, I would take the under on both, but that still leaves more minutes than Kane can handle at big. He just needs to be more effective than Kipper/Tevian/... at a stretch 4. In the end, because of where he is at, I think his readiness limits him to your 12 mpg number, but there are more minutes there to earn.

Not sure it is readily available but wonder what % of players have entered the portal and stayed at their current school. Like putting their name in the draft and then withdrawing it to see what the options are. Saw it in football players several times but not aware of it in BB but has probably occurred. Might make sense as it allows them to talk to other coaches so equivalent to initial recruiting as long as the current coach doesn't withdraw any offers.
Javon Freeman @ Valpo did just that. I can't imagine that he's the only one.

well, the conversation was about creaning which would be making room for a player we don't currently have committed.
That seems like semantics. The team has a certain number of open scholarships and they gave them away to the people I named, knowing it could cost Kane a spot. If this was a Creaning, it will be as much because they signed Verdonk and Kouma as it will be because of whoever takes the remaining spots.

Both Maverick and Samba were bad to very bad as freshman. Samba had potential and a higher ceiling IMO than Morgan, he may have bombed, but other than you, most didn’t expect much from Morgan after his first 2 years here. But the point is there was still plenty of time for Kane to develop. Last week too many were optimistic he was going to be major contributor this coming season, now the consensus is he had no chance. The truth is somewhere in the middle.
I dont understand what all this so called optimism was based on? I feel our best line ups as a whole when GB or Kofi is not in the game will consist of more skilled, stronger, improved, experienced existing and incoming players. 6'8 or 6'10"" isnt really playing small anymore. I would love to play more with shooters like Michigan and I think that's what will will see more of if 2019.

Last edited:
Kane is pretty much blocked from than ~12 mpg for the next 2 seasons.
I don't see how we could possibly know that. He was a true freshman, a young one at that, who missed a lot of last summer, so was behind all season. Lots of people thought he would start over Giorgi before last season began. If Giorgi swings over to the 4, which lots of people on this board seem to think will happen, there's 20 minutes backing up Kofi available right there, possibly more if Kofi can't keep out of foul trouble, which is not, you know, a crazy though regarding a true freshman center in the big ten. God forbid Kofi or Giorgi get hurt, or either of them leave the program for any reason next year and then the amount of available playing time becomes however much he can play without fouling out.

Nothing but speculation here so far. If Occam's razor holds (most simple is right), I would go with this: staff convinced him to stay despite his minutes being very low as a freshman (87 total minutes for the season). Later, the reality of Kofi being on campus means he's got real competition at the center spot. Being a 7 footer, there's undoubtedly people wanting Samba to bolt, and telling him of greener pastures.

I wish him well regardless, but I was really hoping I could root for him in an Illini uniform

Deleted member 643761

D

People are talking about the "portal" as if it's some new thing. Unless I've really missed something the portal is just an informal list of players saying their going to transfer. I do believe that other coaches wouldn't be able to talk to them unless the original school gives permission. I don't believe there are any rule changes regarding this of late.

Deleted member 643761

D
I don't see how we could possibly know that. He was a true freshman, a young one at that, who missed a lot of last summer, so was behind all season. Lots of people thought he would start over Giorgi before last season began. If Giorgi swings over to the 4, which lots of people on this board seem to think will happen, there's 20 minutes backing up Kofi available right there, possibly more if Kofi can't keep out of foul trouble, which is not, you know, a crazy though regarding a true freshman center in the big ten. God forbid Kofi or Giorgi get hurt, or either of them leave the program for any reason next year and then the amount of available playing time becomes however much he can play without fouling out.
Of course we know. Incoming freshmen are always better than sophomores who largely rode the pine their first year.

People are talking about the "portal" as if it's some new thing. Unless I've really missed something the portal is just an informal list of players saying their going to transfer. I do believe that other coaches wouldn't be able to talk to them unless the original school gives permission. I don't believe there are any rule changes regarding this of late.
Thought it was a formal way of announcing availability. Hadn't heard of such a list before this year.

The student declares his intention to transfer to the school and someone (cannot recall who exactly) from the school then has to enter the student's name in the portal. I believe the entry by the school formalizes the process for the student and other schools to communicate. However, not sure, but I think the school cannot restrict the student to any particular schools.

Giorgi does do one heck of a jitterbug.

No way did Samba get Creaned. Does anybody know when the basketball players get their stipends & how much they are?

The stipend varies by school. In theory it is supposed to cover the total cost of attendance for anything beyond what the scholarship covers. I think that I heard that it runs about $5k/year for our guys and gals.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
To those who doubt Samba's athleticism, go back and watch some of his HS film. He is far more than just a jumper. I wish him well if he actually leaves.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
To those who doubt Samba's athleticism, go back and watch some of his HS film. He is far more than just a jumper. I wish him well if he actually leaves.

I'm with you. Had Kane been a 2019, he'd have had a ton of suitors. His physical development since he got to CU has been good. Kid is not bereft of talent. Hope he stays, but I doubt it.

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I'm not saying he would get 5 Birds on the Larry Bird scale........but he would at least rate 3 Birds and a French Lick for good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.