Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Do we need a separate thread for the Italy trip/games? I'm wondering if they'll be much coverage....

Speaking of which, just saw that Syracuse announced their games, whom they are playing, on what days and times and streaming options for their trip to Italy and their first game isn’t until August 12th. Where’s the Illinois schedule?

I’m pretty sure I heard that Piper is making the trip, so there should be a lot of information available.
Is it realistic to see full stat lines and defensive highlights? Or are we just going to get 3 minutes of made shots when the opposing team blows their coverage?

Just wondering what you guys would think the lineup is gonna be when Kofi and Giorgi are inevitably out at the same time whether it is for foul trouble or for a breather.

This has me concerned. Especially against all the great frontcourts in the B10.

Just wondering what you guys would think the lineup is gonna be when Kofi and Giorgi are inevitably out at the same time whether it is for foul trouble or for a breather.

I think that just comes down to coaching. If both Kofi and Giorgi are benched for foul trouble they weren't properly coached to avoid that situation and it's probably a lost game. If that happens 2 or 3 times this season that's okay as long as they learn from it and put those silly fouls behind them by the end of the season.

jmilt7

Waukegan
Speaking of which, just saw that Syracuse announced their games, whom they are playing, on what days and times and streaming options for their trip to Italy and their first game isn’t until August 12th. Where’s the Illinois schedule?

There is a News Gazette article written four days ago by Scott Richey that talks about the Italy trip. I can't see it because somehow I have already gone over my 5 free articles. Has anyone checked it out to see if there is any information as to who Illinois is playing, times, etc. Thanks

Have basketball, will travel (to Italy)

Deleted member 236589

D
Honestly trying not to vomit after reading Kipper's piece today. I honestly don't think he even gets it. I know we shouldn't put down our own but this specific player drives me and coach Underwood nuts.
What's your problem with any of that article? The kid had a brutal year, he realizes it and is addressing it head on. He could have transferred and didn't. He's trying to better his all-around self to make for a successful final year of his college basketball career. I'm failing to see how anything in there is negative.

Interested to see what you seemed to be a problem?

There is a News Gazette article written four days ago by Scott Richey that talks about the Italy trip. I can't see it because somehow I have already gone over my 5 free articles. Has anyone checked it out to see if there is any information as to who Illinois is playing, times, etc. Thanks

Have basketball, will travel (to Italy)
no info on who/when ... to be finalized. 3 games, maybe a 4th. 10 day trip. arrive Milan Aug 5, then florence, rome.

The Sprouting Divot

Invisible and Bulletproof
Miracle Mile
Thought I'd give my 2 cents about this team. A while back I shared that I thought this team was the best collection of talent I have seen in C U for many years.

- Gorgi is a consistent jump shot away from being a pro.
- Kofi is a freshman and will need time and Antigua coaching to be all he can be (so be patient)
- Ayo is the best guard to grace C U since Deron and expect a big year.
- Frazier will be the quiet assassin and will start to get national attention with his play making.
- Andre is far better than we give him credit for and will be responsible for the Illini winning a ton of games.
- Tevian is a rhythm shooter and if defense steps up he will have a monster year.
- AG will establish a defensive presence and will be a knock down shooter.
- Kipper will find consistency and his contribution will move this team to vie for the top spot in the B1G.
- Samba (if he stays) will surprise with his defense and shot making ability (his hands during freshman year remind me of Egwu his freshman year)
- Other freshmen will be...well freshmen..with the kid from Norway or Belgium being more ready to contribute.

I like this team y'all.

You've got a long way to go before you achieve JeffFrank's level of breathlessness.

Any solid info on Verdonk injury? Werner said something about Tate mentioning on sports talk or whatever it is that he wasn't practicing.

How many big ten teams have 3 front court players as good as Georgi and Kofi

Well, yeah, the Kemp picture shown was with Seattle, not in college. I don't think Kemp was a top 5 guy coming out of HS.

Kemp coming out of HS was right about when I was in HS so I certainly didn't follow this that much (back when Simeon and King were all the rage in Illinois HS basketball). But I have a friend who went to HS with Kemp and said he was an absolute beast (when he wanted to be). He'd just walk up and down the court for 3 quarters and in the 4th he'd just take over and win games. Completely unstoppable.

Not sure if that makes his a "top 5" or not. He obviously had the skill to be a top 5, but maybe not the drive. I think he had all kinds of academic issues as well and ended up playing CC ball for a year before the NBA?

Well, yeah, the Kemp picture shown was with Seattle, not in college. I don't think Kemp was a top 5 guy coming out of HS.
I think that Shawn Kemp was a consensus HS All-American and may have been a first-round pick had he jumped to the NBA. (He predated the wave of guys jumping straight from high school by about five years, but he was that good and physically ready).

If Kofi were Shawn Kemp in a 7-foot, 290 pound body, you could count the number of guys ranked above him in this class on zero fingers.

Kemp coming out of HS was right about when I was in HS so I certainly didn't follow this that much (back when Simeon and King were all the rage in Illinois HS basketball). But I have a friend who went to HS with Kemp and said he was an absolute beast (when he wanted to be). He'd just walk up and down the court for 3 quarters and in the 4th he'd just take over and win games. Completely unstoppable.

Not sure if that makes his a "top 5" or not. He obviously had the skill to be a top 5, but maybe not the drive. I think he had all kinds of academic issues as well and ended up playing CC ball for a year before the NBA?

Good info, thanks. That guy must've paid more child support than anyone in the world. Interesting guy.

I think that Shawn Kemp was a consensus HS All-American and may have been a first-round pick had he jumped to the NBA. (He predated the wave of guys jumping straight from high school by about five years, but he was that good and physically ready).

If Kofi were Shawn Kemp in a 7-foot, 290 pound body, you could count the number of guys ranked above him in this class on zero fingers.

I take it back, it seems like he was top 5 out of HS. Funny thing is he lost Indiana Mr. Basketball to Woody Austin, who averaged 11.6 in four years at Purdue, while Kemp averaged 14.6 in the NBA!

How many big ten teams have 3 front court players as good as Georgi and Kofi

That's not the issue. The issue is frontcourt depth. Which teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue, and Iowa all have.

All of those teams have a guy that is 6'8 or taller that can come off the bench and play 8-12 minutes. We don't. Samba would have been perfect for it... too bad.

I take it back, it seems like he was top 5 out of HS. Funny thing is he lost Indiana Mr. Basketball to Woody Austin, who averaged 11.6 in four years at Purdue, while Kemp averaged 14.6 in the NBA!
Yeah, the sporting press didn't appreciate his decision to go to UK. I think that Illinois may have had a guy or two win Mr. Basketball for the same reason...

That's not the issue. The issue is frontcourt depth. Which teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Maryland, Michigan State, Purdue, and Iowa all have.

All of those teams have a guy that is 6'8 or taller that can come off the bench and play 8-12 minutes. We don't. Samba would have been perfect for it... too bad.
Why is it so many think Samba wac suddenly a Big Tn talent? Any B10 programs interested in him currently? Did he play meaningful minutes last season? Had we actually seen reason to think he was "perfect". I think absolutely not. This assumption is not based on really anything imo. I think we had better options last year and added more skilled players this season. There is a reason Samba left if he wanted to play this year or in the future. I expect to add more skilled bigs in the future. He could possibly develop into one but one off season with all he needed to improve on is asking a lot.

Last edited:

Talk to me about where you're seeing Michigan State frontcourt depth. I see 6-8 Xavier Tillman with no backup at the 5. They'll also going to be playing guys at the 3/4 that are only 6-6 so they're not going to be any taller than Kipper. It's gonna work out fine for them, but I just don't see the "depth" you're referring to.

Kemp was a STUD, however not Top 5 National, nor was he Player of the Year either...He was a McD player but that year had some big names on it also: Mourning/Laettner/Sealy/Owens/Ellis and more...

If we get 1/2 this type of production and play from Kofi, well then.....we could all be very happy.

Kemp was a STUD, however not Top 5 National, nor was he Player of the Year either...He was a McD player but that year had some big names on it also: Mourning/Laettner/Sealy/Owens/Ellis and more...

If we get 1/2 this type of production and play from Kofi, well then.....we could all be very happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.