Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
When they announced the signing I thought it was a desperation move (Kouma). I am encouraged watching the highlights . He is more agile than I expected,

He's got nice hands and solid post moves. Seems to play strong underneath, more so than Ebo or Kane ever did. I like this kid from the video I saw. He should be able to provide 10+ back-up minutes at the 5.

If Ebo or Samba would have stayed, this team would be in such a better situation. Seems like we can never catch a break, but that's life I guess. Go Illini!

Would we though? Would you rather have Samba/SpicyG, or Verdonk/Kouma, or Verdonk/Hamlin?

Samba or SpicyG weren't going to play more than spot minutes. That's the bottom line. If Giorgi or Kofi get in foul trouble BU will use Tevian, Kipper, or go 4 guard lineup before they were going to get big minutes.

New highlights of Hamlin. I'm seeing Ebo with slightly better touch.

IMHO, you've got some seriously rose-colored glasses on. On the plus side, in the highlights he looks like he plays tough, isn't afraid of contact, and uses his power. If he's needed this year, it's encouraging to read he works hard on defense.

After what's happened between January, Kane, Kouma, I'm not feeling encouraged.

As MSU is projected to win the BIG, I thought it woul be interesting to compare the rosters:
MSU, mins, pts. UI, mins, pts
Winston,33.5,18.8. Ayo,31.1,13.8
Langford,28.6, 15. Trent, 30.6, 13.7
Tillman, 24.1, 10. Giorgi, 26.2, 12.5
Henry, 22., 6.1. Dre, 22.3, 8.3
Ahrens, 18.8, 4.7. Kipper 18.1, 5.7
Brown, 7.9, 2.3. Tevian, 9.2, 3.5
Watts, n/a Kofi, n/a
These matchups don't look that horrible to me in terms of talent. Believe Ayo might match up well with Winston in 2019-20. Langford a plus matchup for them but rest pretty equal. Now it depends how how the coaches matchup.

I like the comparison but I'd do it differently.

Ayo + Trent + Feliz is maybe just a little behind Winston + Langford + Watts. Point to MSU
Kofi + Giorgi is better than Tillman + ???Beckham???. Point Goodguys
Griffin + Jones + Kipper + Verdonk =?= Henry + Ahrens + Brown.
MSU 2018 season > Illinois 2018 season. Big reason they're ranked highly
MSU last 10 years > Illinois last 10 years. Big reason Illinois has doubt despite a very good roster for this season.

I think MSU's backcourt is going to be one of the best, and Illinois is going to be only slightly behind. I think Illinois has the better frontcourt and the question marks for both teams are at the 3/4. MSU has a little more clarity in what they have with Henry/Ahrens since they showed it last season where as Griffin/Jones/Kipper are still a question mark for a lot of people.

Would we though? Would you rather have Samba/SpicyG, or Verdonk/Kouma, or Verdonk/Hamlin?

Samba or SpicyG weren't going to play more than spot minutes. That's the bottom line. If Giorgi or Kofi get in foul trouble BU will use Tevian, Kipper, or go 4 guard lineup before they were going to get big minutes.
Yes. I would much rather have a sophomore or junior who's been in the system backing us up at center than freshman who aren't even on campus yet. This team has tourney potential this year, and this center depth is a huge hole right now.

He's got nice hands and solid post moves. Seems to play strong underneath, more so than Ebo or Kane ever did. I like this kid from the video I saw. He should be able to provide 10+ back-up minutes at the 5.

I would think IF he does not redshirt (doubt he will), then he will get no more than 5-6 minutes tops averaged.

MSU has a little more clarity in what they have with Henry/Ahrens since they showed it last season where as Griffin/Jones/Kipper are still a question mark for a lot of people.

Henry/Aherns are light years ahead of our 3....Henry especially.

Yes. I would much rather have a sophomore or junior who's been in the system backing us up at center than freshman who aren't even on campus yet. This team has tourney potential this year, and this center depth is a huge hole right now.
It seems like Kouma/Hamlin should button up that issue, just waiting to see which one, no reason to fret, also Verdonk should help.

IMHO, you've got some seriously rose-colored glasses on. On the plus side, in the highlights he looks like he plays tough, isn't afraid of contact, and uses his power. If he's needed this year, it's encouraging to read he works hard on defense.

Is Hamlin about the same as Ebo coming in? Looks athletic with some size but guessing he doesn't have great skills.[/QUOTE nothing’s happened to Kouma officially yet. Will know sometime this week, It’s all speculation and conjecture at this point Geeeez.

BMoreIllini

Baltimore, MD

I don't know how much meaningful playing time, if any, Hamlin will see this season, but considering the kid went from cut from his 8th grade team, and a bench warmer his sophomore season to a very solid contributor on a good high school basketball team (albeit a weak conference and smaller schools) and DI offers (again, low DI) shows me that he can learn and develop. He had a great coach at Lincoln, if he's willing to learn and put the work in he has to have more potential to be tapped. His old coach at Lincoln said he could easily carry another 25 pounds, 6'10", 245+ to go with Kofi sounds pretty good to me.

Not feeling encouraged about what because of Kane, Kouma, and January? Was January's situation the fault of the staff's? No, in fact another poster said that January was having trouble getting eligible at NM. Assuming reports are true, was the fact Kane couldn't physically handle Kofi and saw the writing on the wall the fault of the staff's? No, although I wish he had belief in himself to challenge himself to work hard to grow. I hope Kouma works out, but the hypocrisy of the NCAA is of no fault of the staff's either.

Last edited:
Last year? This is a new season.

yes which means they are light years ahead as they were last year...Henry is predicted to be a potential NBA player (i think he will be)...I am not sure anyone will utter that about Griffin/Jones/Nichols?

yes which means they are light years ahead as they were last year...Henry is predicted to be a potential NBA player (i think he will be)...I am not sure anyone will utter that about Griffin/Jones/Nichols?
Would've liked to have Henry, we have the 3 above, liking the chances of 2 improving greatly, I just don't think he's double lightyears ahead of them.

Only once have I seen double lightyears ahead, Kofi Cockburn to........
C........H........A...........I............R!

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Not feeling encouraged about what because of Kane, Kouma, and January? Was January's situation the fault of the staff's? No, in fact another poster said that January was having trouble getting eligible at NM. Assuming reports are true, was the fact Kane couldn't physically handle Kofi and saw the writing on the wall the fault of the staff's? No, although I wish he had belief in himself to challenge himself to work hard to grow. I hope Kouma works out, but the hypocrisy of the NCAA is of no fault of the staff's either.

Truth.

Deleted member 236589

D
The notion that Kouma has a higher ceiling is merely opinion. There is nothing to back up that point. You can argue from tape you have seen that he is more advanced right now, but Hamlin may turn out to be the better of the two because defense is harder to teach and the kid hasn't been playing that long. Neither are projected as first round NBA players , nor even starters, having both on the bench doesn't seem so bad to me, there are always games where you need someone to go in and put a body on someone so they don't think it's going to be an easy night on the blocks. If one of them turns into the Rick Roby of next season, I'll root for them go come in like I would in hockey, someone put a body on that guy, he's killing us. Let the bodies his the floor..... :)
Weren't we saying these same things about Matic V, Greg E, Samba K, etc....? None of them are here anymore. I'm wondering what makes this kid any different than those? That's an honest question. It seems like we have one of the..."can never have enough size" guys every year and they are gone a year later.

This kid could be the next Ben Simmons for all I know. However, to date, it seems like scholarships are being given to practice players for one season.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
However, to date, it seems like scholarships are being given to practice players for one season.

Would you prefer keeping kids that are dead wood? Also, the decision to bolt is oftentimes made by the player, not the coach (e.g., Kane, Ebo).

Deleted member 236589

D

Honestly, before the early signing period ended in 2018 and we again came up bagels, my answer would have been D)None of the above.

Now....I don't think it makes much of a difference. We're at the "it is what it is" point of the 2019-2020 season.

Weren't we saying these same things about Matic V, Greg E, Samba K, etc....? None of them are here anymore. I'm wondering what makes this kid any different than those? That's an honest question. It seems like we have one of the..."can never have enough size" guys every year and they are gone a year later.

This kid could be the next Ben Simmons for all I know. However, to date, it seems like scholarships are being given to practice players for one season.

1) This kid is a local; 2) This kid is bulkier than the other guys and seems to like contact instead of avoiding it.

Deleted member 236589

D
Would you prefer keeping kids that are dead wood? Also, the decision to bolt is oftentimes made by the player, not the coach (e.g., Kane, Ebo).
I guess the counterpoint to keeping kids who are dead wood would be are we taking kids were are dead wood? Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Mind you, I don't have an answer to any of this...just an observation from someone with absolutely zero insight. :)

Honestly, before the early signing period ended in 2018 and we again came up bagels, my answer would have been D)None of the above.

Now....I don't think it makes much of a difference. We're at the "it is what it is" point of the 2019-2020 season.

So your choice is to leave the ride open instead of taking a guy that might get better than he is (bigs often are a lot better as upperclassmen). I don't understand that line thinking.

Henry/Aherns are light years ahead of our 3....Henry especially.
Henry 22.0 mins, 6.1 pts, 49.5 fg%,3.8R, 1.6 A, .6 S, 1.3 TO
Tevian 9.2 mins,3.5 pts, 40.8 fg%, 1.4 R, .2 A, .5 S, .2 TO

Ahead but not by my measure of light years. Expect big improvement from both but larger from Tevian because of such limited minutes. I am actually expecting Alan to start over Tevian because of his defense which obviously isn't measured here and I believe Henry was a good defensive player.

Status
Not open for further replies.