Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're last sentence is incorrect unless the stress fracture keeps him off the floor. Kid has size, shoots well from distance (and he's already accustomed to the international 3, and is said to be a skilled passer.

Correct in context, should have reread that one. The last comment was meant for Kouma, not Verdonk. Kouma I think contributes little, and I am not sure he will contribute anything for us?

Correct in context, should have reread that one. The last comment was meant for Kouma, not Verdonk. Kouma I think contributes little, and I am not sure he will contribute anything for us?

Kouma's 6-10. Having Kouma come in for ~3 minutes while Giorgi and Kofi both take a breather can be a huge benefit to us this season since we can't afford Giorgi & Kofi to get tired and commit silly fouls. It'd be huge for us if Underwood could trust him to just defend for 3 minutes, maybe while Ayo, Trent, DMW, and Kipper on the floor as well (since that's one of our stronger defensive line-ups).

Add in another ~2 minutes per game (on average) of garbage time minutes and I'm expecting (hoping) Kouma to see about 5-6 minutes per game on average this season.

Kouma's 6-10. Having Kouma come in for ~3 minutes while Giorgi and Kofi both take a breather can be a huge benefit to us this season since we can't afford Giorgi & Kofi to get tired and commit silly fouls. It'd be huge for us if Underwood could trust him to just defend for 3 minutes, maybe while Ayo, Trent, DMW, and Kipper on the floor as well (since that's one of our stronger defensive line-ups).

Add in another ~2 minutes per game (on average) of garbage time minutes and I'm expecting (hoping) Kouma to see about 5-6 minutes per game on average this season.
I'm in the dark, has kouma signed financial aid papers, or are we waiting on the clearinghouse, because if he's signed then I would rest easier.

Hey y’all,/ been reading the board since the Weber days but just got around to making an account. Watching Rob’s videos of the game got me thinking, and just wanted to share some “fun” things i’d like to see this season.

1. The first in-game dunk by Trent. We all know he can do it, but if he throws one down at home in a big time game at home or at BR, I could only imagine how electric our crowd would get!

2. A bunch of alley-oops. Keeping on the same topic here, we have plenty of athletes all over the roster. Guys like Alan, Tev and Kofi should have some rim rockers this year.

3. A triple double. I think we have the depth and athletes to really get the 7 second offense to excel this year. Guys like Ayo, Kipper, Damonte have an outside shot of getting it done based on their ability to dribble, rebound, score, and pass.

4. A 40 point night from Trent. Kid can fill it up when he’s on, he reminds me of a smaller, quicker BP3. Someone who when he’s cooking can get a bucket whenever and wherever he wants.

5. A combined 60+ night from 2 of Ayo/Trent/Giorgi. Not entirely out of the question, and like Trent, each of them are capable of giving us 30 when they’re on.

6. 30 combined double-doubles for the season. Like previously stated, we have a bunch of guys that can put the ball in the hole. We have guys like Damonte, Giorgi, Kofi, Feliz etc. that have a real knack at getting loose balls or in Kofi’s case, is 7” 290 pounds.

7. Making beating ranked teams a big deal..a thing of the past. MSU and Maryland games were great last year. But with higher expectations, it’d be fun to see us knock off double, maybe triple the amount of top 20 teams this year.

8. A tournament bid and a top 5 finish in the conference. Pretty self-explainatory.

Go illini!

As long as he gets cleared, as of yet he is not?

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Robert tweeting about practice. Says Alan griffin is killing it.

He is my pick for soph leap even more so than tev for his shooting.
So far his monster rebounding and above the rim play have been big surprises. Hopefully it carries over into a huge breakout season.

As long as he gets cleared, as of yet he is not?
a poster in the basketball recruiting thread a few days ago wrote saying he received a text saying Kouma was cleared and would be joining the team when they return from Italy a few days ago. Don’t know who the source was.

I have to admit that I look forward to getting some big bodies on Tilmon. Would like to see some blocks and steals against both Tilmon and Mark Smith. They both need to seek oxygen tanks after the game. What a different game from last year this sets up to be.

Missouri released it's non-conference schedule. Looks like we play them on 12-21
It took me a minute, you realize that's both an upcoming date . . . and was our record last year. Coincidence? or motivation, . . .

ivwilsoniv

Aurora, IL
Who's got a good game-by-game prediction on the season? Post them here so we can return and laugh (or cry) when the season is over and we're all 8 months older.

We had a large freshman class last year, we might be on the verge of some great team growth, if Griffin and Jones make a leap this year (likely), along with some growth from studs GB and Ayo, mix in some Kofi, our 3 headed guard monster with veteran Frazier, the skys the limit! Summer is for hope and I have a bunch of it!

Who's got a good game-by-game prediction on the season? Post them here so we can return and laugh (or cry) when the season is over and we're all 8 months older.

I'll go first (I expect we'll have another 5 non-conf games - I'm not expecting anything tougher than Arizona on the Road so I'll call those all W's):
Illini 2019-20 predictions 8-8-2019.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.