Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJD86

Texas
I'll take 20-6 on this schedule. There has to be more games, since we obviously play more than 26 games.

Our schedule is not set yet, we have ~6 more opponents to add. Supposedly the delay on the schedule release is one tourney we are in (In Oah'u) and two contracts not yet signed by opponents

illinitrav

NW Suburbs
Our schedule is not set yet, we have ~6 more opponents to add. Supposedly the delay on the schedule release is one tourney we are in (In Oah'u) and two contracts not yet signed by opponents

Cal State Bakersfield is a likely opponent from the Oahu Multi Team Event. Date unknown

Cal State Bakersfield is a likely opponent from the Oahu Multi Team Event. Date unknown

CSUB beat Cal in Cuonzo's last game as coach there IIRC. Not sure how good they are expected to be this year, but usually not a team you should underestimate.

Not sure where to file this, but Ken Pomeroy looked at his data going back to 1997 and ranked the 353 D-I programs based on his rating system. I think that it's behind his paywall, but the B1G teams shook out as follows:

Michigan St.: 6
Ohio St.: 11
Maryland: 14
Wisconsin: 16
Indiana: 18
Purdue: 21
Illinois: 23
Michigan: 24
Iowa: 42
Minnesota: 54
Nebraska: 77
Penn St.: 83
Northwestern: 85
Rutgers: 102

Nothing too surprising here. With the exception of Wisconsin, who made the tourney 21 of the 23 years in that span, the rankings track tourney appearances pretty closely. Illinois benefits from the peak of the late Self/early Weber years and punches a bit above its weight in terms of tourney appearances (13) relative to rank, as does Michigan, who surprisingly only made the tourney 10 out of 23 times.

The one thing that jumped out at me the most was Illinois' floor, with their lowest ranking over the 23 year period checking in at 125 in Groce's second to last year. Only MSU (50 back in 1997, the last season in which they did not make the tourney) and Wisconsin (95 back in 1998, still during Dick Bennett's tenure) had a higher floor. That provides interesting context to me when evaluating the last few disappointing years.

Anyway, for folks who have a subscription, here's the link.

I assume that will be at Home rather than on the Road, right? I live in Bakersfield and would LOVE to see my Illini play here :)

Not sure where to file this, but Ken Pomeroy looked at his data going back to 1997 and ranked the 353 D-I programs based on his rating system. I think that it's behind his paywall, but the B1G teams shook out as follows:

Michigan St.: 6
Ohio St.: 11
Maryland: 14
Wisconsin: 16
Indiana: 18
Purdue: 21
Illinois: 23
Michigan: 24
Iowa: 42
Minnesota: 54
Nebraska: 77
Penn St.: 83
Northwestern: 85
Rutgers: 102

Nothing too surprising here. With the exception of Wisconsin, who made the tourney 21 of the 23 years in that span, the rankings track tourney appearances pretty closely. Illinois benefits from the peak of the late Self/early Weber years and punches a bit above its weight in terms of tourney appearances (13) relative to rank, as does Michigan, who surprisingly only made the tourney 10 out of 23 times.

The one thing that jumped out at me the most was Illinois' floor, with their lowest ranking over the 23 year period checking in at 125 in Groce's second to last year. Only MSU (50 back in 1997, the last season in which they did not make the tourney) and Wisconsin (95 back in 1998, still during Dick Bennett's tenure) had a higher floor. That provides interesting context to me when evaluating the last few disappointing years.

Anyway, for folks who have a subscription, here's the link.

Also interesting that the B1G has the most teams in the top 25 with 8. ACC is 2nd with 5.
Another interesting thing I saw. UConn is only 19th despite winning 4 championships. Would you rather be a UConn fan over the past 22 years or a Kansas fan (ranked 3rd but only 1 championship)?

Also interesting that the B1G has the most teams in the top 25 with 8. ACC is 2nd with 5.
Another interesting thing I saw. UConn is only 19th despite winning 4 championships. Would you rather be a UConn fan over the past 22 years or a Kansas fan (ranked 3rd but only 1 championship)?

Well, all Kansas fans would still proclaim themselves better. UConn is THE best example of “Blue Blood” status being nonsensical. I’ve never heard UConn being a “Blue Blood”, but they win quite a bit, eh?

jmilt7

Waukegan
Uh, oh. They better start working on those visas for Kofi and Feliz

Captain Bubbles

Fairfield, IL
Just a quick check of Hawaii's stats from last season...

Hawaii finished 18-13 overall. 13 of those wins were at home. Went 4-5 on the road and 1-3 at neutral sites. They haven't updated their roster for the 2019-2020 season yet on their website, but the way things look now (unless they transferred), Zigmars Raimo (6-8, 230 Sr Forward) and Eddie Stansberry (6-3, 190 Sr Guard) are their best players returning as they both averaged 11 ppg. Drew Buggs is another player to keep an eye on (6-3, 195 Jr Guard), averaged about 9 ppg.

Hope this quick insight helps.

To the foreign South Pacific country of Hawai’i obviously!

Oh!!!! Must have missed that news item. Sorry.

Did we get Britain in return? Not that I am looking forward to that. Or Italy perhaps? Italy would have been perfect. Visa wise that is.

Hearing that Kouma might not get cleared.

Been saying this might be doubtful for several weeks now. I realize the process may take awhile, but it just doesn't feel right for some reason? Woudl not be surprised if he ends up elsewhere as of now. No news in this case will not end up being good news, another may be better at this point anyway.

Been saying this might be doubtful for several weeks now. I realize the process may take awhile, but it just doesn't feel right for some reason? Woudl not be surprised if he ends up elsewhere as of now. No news in this case will not end up being good news, another may be better at this point anyway.

Yup, first January and now Kouma, it sort of makes you wonder!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.