Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will the team get some time off now that they are home? Classes begin on Aug 26th. Assume it’s back to the 2 hours per week of
workouts until practice begins. Someone (Werner or Richie) said Underwood may start a little later this year because of the trip and the extra summer practices. Wants them fresh.

I haven’t seen any further comments on Kouma. Anyone?

Most of the players are heading home for a while.

Will the team get some time off now that they are home? Classes begin on Aug 26th. Assume it’s back to the 2 hours per week of
workouts until practice begins. Someone (Werner or Richie) said Underwood may start a little later this year because of the trip and the extra summer practices. Wants them fresh.

I haven’t seen any further comments on Kouma. Anyone?

Coach said that himself on tape in a pre Italy interview.

Not about the 19-20 team, but for anyone interested, check out the "One Shining Podcast with Titus and Tate". They just released an episode on Sports Rewatchables discussing the 2005 Elite Eight Illinois vs Arizona game. It's a fun listen!

If Kouma doesn't get in this is bad recruiting and decision making on staffs part. First, January leaves. What his status is at NM i don't know. Then Kane leaves. I thought then and do now that playing Rosa ahead of him was bad decision. Rosa, was playing on one leg so why not play Kane who was going to possibly be needed some this year. If KB plays 30 min. fine, but those of you who think being a year older and experienced will make-up for the blatant deficiencies in the front court, because of lack of height are wrong.

If Kouzma doesn't get in this is bad recruiting and decision making on staffs part. First, January leaves. What his status is at NM i don't know. Then Kane leaves. I thought then and do now that playing Rosa ahead of him was bad decision. Rosa, was playing on one leg so why not play Kane who was going to possibly be needed some this year. If KB plays 30 min. fine, but those of you who think being a year older and experienced will make-up for the blatant deficiencies in the front court, because of lack of height are wrong.

All you have to do is watch a replay of the MSU game last year and you will understand why ADLR played before SK. If you think it is going to be deficient, what is exactly is your prediction on our front court? Unless Kofi is a bust or we suffer injury to GB or Kofi, I am not that concerned at this point, with or without BK.

All you have to do is watch a replay of the MSU game last year and you will understand why ADLR played before SK. If you think it is going to be deficient, what is exactly is your prediction on our front court? Unless Kofi is a bust or we suffer injury to GB or Kofi, I am not that concerned at this point, with or without BK.
FWIW, the Samba Kane saga could be put to rest. I’d heard from someone close to the program that Kane just wasn’t physically tough enough for Underwood’s style of play. He was getting thrown around like a rag doll by Kofi this summer and couldn’t take it. The timing of his entering the transfer portal (coach out of town) wasn’t a coincidence. Again, FWIW.

If Kouzma doesn't get in this is bad recruiting and decision making on staffs part. First, January leaves. What his status is at NM i don't know. Then Kane leaves. I thought then and do now that playing Rosa ahead of him was bad decision. Rosa, was playing on one leg so why not play Kane who was going to possibly be needed some this year. If KB plays 30 min. fine, but those of you who think being a year older and experienced will make-up for the blatant deficiencies in the front court, because of lack of height are wrong.
I was disappointed when January opted out as he looked physically ready to play but however you look at it, we are short in the front court. By size we have three players. If there are 13 scholarships, 40% should be front court players (i.e. .4 * 13 = 5.2). We are 2 short at this point. Kofi and Giorgi are not enough even with a serviceable Verdonk.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
FWIW, the Samba Kane saga could be put to rest. I’d heard from someone close to the program that Kane just wasn’t physically tough enough for Underwood’s style of play. He was getting thrown around like a rag doll by Kofi this summer and couldn’t take it. The timing of his entering the transfer portal (coach out of town) wasn’t a coincidence. Again, FWIW.

Well then one could take this argument all the way back to Eboigbodin. We could have a junior Spicy G this year AND freshman Kofi, yet we don't. Concerns with depth at center fall at the coaching staff's feet.

In what year since maybe Groce's first year have we had equal or better positional balance than this year? Sure we are going to have to play a stretch 4 in Tev and Kip plenty this year, but IIRC Malcolm had to play a lot of 4 in his career as well. In out last tourney team, the total serviceable front court consisted of Soph Egwu, Senior Griffey and Grad MacLaurin. I think BU has made a lot of progress on positional balance, though the rebuild is not quite complete.

PJD86

Texas
January is still not cleared to play for New Mexico, to answer the above questions. Supposedly Kouma's foreign courses were denied and not cleared so he likely ends up at a Prep school I'd think.

January is still not cleared to play for New Mexico, to answer the above questions. Supposedly Kouma's foreign courses were denied and not cleared so he likely ends up at a Prep school I'd think.

Regarding Kouma, Is your source sound?

If so this is a huge blow. Basically means Giorgi is playing 15-20 minutes (of his 24-28 total minutes) at the 5 alongside Kofi with only 4-13 minutes at the 4. Verdonk looks huge so maybe he can pick up a good chunk of the remaining 27-36 minutes at the 4 but I’d be really surprised if he gets more than 14 this season. That means Tev or Kip are left playing at the 4 for 13-22 minutes. If 13 that’s not bad but if 22, well we already know what happens when Kip plays the 4... and we haven’t see Tev show he can do it yet.

Maybe it’s fine and the lineup we’d end up with anyway... for example I f all 3 of Verdonk, Griffin, and Jones are ready to play big time minutes I could see us playing the exact way I mention above and barely putting Kouma on the floor anyway... but it still impacts Kofi and Giorgi in terms of having another big during practice to go against.

Regarding Kouma, Is your source sound?

If so this is a huge blow. Basically means Giorgi is playing 15-20 minutes (of his 24-28 total minutes) at the 5 alongside Kofi with only 4-13 minutes at the 4. Verdonk looks huge so maybe he can pick up a good chunk of the remaining 27-36 minutes at the 4 but I’d be really surprised if he gets more than 14 this season. That means Tev or Kip are left playing at the 4 for 13-22 minutes. If 13 that’s not bad but if 22, well we already know what happens when Kip plays the 4... and we haven’t see Tev show he can do it yet.

Maybe it’s fine and the lineup we’d end up with anyway... for example I f all 3 of Verdonk, Griffin, and Jones are ready to play big time minutes I could see us playing the exact way I mention above and barely putting Kouma on the floor anyway... but it still impacts Kofi and Giorgi in terms of having another big during practice to go against.
I like our options big or small/fast, we could use 1 more c/pf but I have faith BU will find that nugget though. Let's pick some possible lineups depending on situation. Slow time. Not giving up on Kouma, heard we might have a chance with Kouzma also. # not an insider. 😏

Thanks for confirming PJ. Kouma spent his freshman year in Chad and that's where the problem lies. Certainly it was not his Our Savior Lutheran HS as he had the 5th highest GPA in his class.

Screen Shot 2019-08-16 at 9.00.59 PM.png

We know why, but who, what, when, where tickets for Braggin' Rights 2019?

And any word on the rest of the schedule, other than the dribs and drabs we've had so far?

I have flexibility in my schedule finally, but man, I needs to know.

And any word on the rest of the schedule, other than the dribs and drabs we've had so far?

We know 7 of the 11 non conference games so far. And we could probably guess at approximate times for the 2 early conference games pretty accurately... the remaining 4 games should be pretty easy to slot out based on the gaps in that schedule +/- a day or so and will most likely be all at home (or 3/4 at home)

N
But UI accepted them? At least I understood he was accepted.

Deleted member 11196

D

Any word on the 'times' for the Arizona games: GCU on 8th (time ?) and Arizona on the 10 (time ?)

We see you got an A in calculus but we can't accept your grade three years ago in algebra.

Gotta love the NCAA.

I know this is a joke but it would be hilarious if this was the actual case. As a math teacher I can tell you the kids who struggle in calculus are the kids who forget the basic algebra.

In a real question, since Chad was colonized by France, does anyone know if they’re still running on the French Educational system (a la Senegal)?

I’ve learned from a friend who went through the French system in Senegal that it actually works similarly to American colleges (like a major). You choose a path and those grades carry more weight within your educational profile. It also means you don’t take as many classes in other areas. If this is the case, I could see him missing necessary classes for the NCAA.

With all the sanctimony about being dedicated to student athletes, how can the NCAA look the other way on UNC’s academic feud, but not clear a kid that is fifth in his class? Keeping a kid with legitimate academic potential away from a scholarship over some paperwork. Way to look out for the student athletes. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.