Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many fliers over the last few years. Yes, two worked out, but if the level of recruiting is going to be projects and overseas players....it's going to be tough to be relevant. These issues are directly correlated with whiffing each fall. If they landed any of their top targets, they wouldn't be handing out scholarships to any warm body that will accept.
Did you guys watch that video of just one game Vs Kahil Whitney where he put up 29 and 17.. i could care less about rankings for a kid that has only plaed since 2013 to show what he did in that one game showed me a lot. how much does a 6 10 strong player have to do or are we just that consumed by ranking services? He looked really really good to me. What didnt you like from Kouma in that game vs a 5 star guy? I am over press clippings or the lack of them., Even more with international players that have not played long at all.

illini80

Forgottonia
Did you guys watch that video of just one game Vs Kahil Whitney where he put up 29 and 17.. i could care less about rankings for a kid that has only plaed since 2013 to show what he did in that one game showed me a lot. how much does a 6 10 strong player have to do or are we just that consumed by ranking services? He looked really really good to me. What didnt you like from Kouma in that game vs a 5 star guy? I am over press clippings or the lack of them., Even more with international players that have not played long at all.
Well, to answer your question, I want to see it more consistently than one or two great games if I’m really going to get excited about a guy. That’s kind of what the recruiting rankings are telling me. But the ship appears to have sailed on Kouma so I don’t see the point in discussing him either way. Wish the kid well.

Again, I can only ask the question I previously posed. If the NCAA doesn’t, by its own determination, have the authority / jurisdiction / competence to assess the academic legitimacy of academic credits conferred by member institutions, from whence comes its authority / jurisdiction / competence to assess the academic legitimacy of academic credits conferred by academic institutions which are not member institutions ?

Well, to answer your question, I want to see it more consistently than one or two great games if I’m really going to get excited about a guy. That’s kind of what the recruiting rankings are telling me. But the ship appears to have sailed on Kouma so I don’t see the point in discussing him either way. Wish the kid well.
I prefer a game full of consistent plays than a highlight reel of clips stuck together for a season where anyone can look good. I wish him well too and hope we get a shot at him eventually. Didnt BU offer GB after just one game?

Last edited:

illini80

Forgottonia
Again, I can only ask the question I previously posed. If the NCAA doesn’t, by its own determination, have the authority / jurisdiction / competence to assess the academic legitimacy of academic credits conferred by member institutions, from whence comes its authority / jurisdiction / competence to assess the academic legitimacy of academic credits conferred by academic institutions which are not member institutions ?
If you’re searching for consistency and logic from the NCAA you will always be disappointed. They are judge, jury, and executioner.

Just really unsure about this signing. Seen Hamlin play quite a bit over the last 2 years. Just never been that impressed. Defensively he’s pretty decent but on the offensive side of the ball, he’s just not there. Figured him to be a low d1 signing, not big 10 material.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Just really unsure about this signing. Seen Hamlin play quite a bit over the last 2 years. Just never been that impressed. Defensively he’s pretty decent but on the offensive side of the ball, he’s just not there. Figured him to be a low d1 signing, not big 10 material.

Look at this way: skool starts in 1-2 weeks. It's Hamlin or no one, basically. Pretty easy choice, IMO. He's effectively on a one year tryout. Sink or swim.

I
Look at this way: skool starts in 1-2 weeks. It's Hamlin or no one, basically. Pretty easy choice, IMO. He's effectively on a one year tryout. Sink or swim.
If he redshirts it's better for him.than prep school
.I doubt he ever sees the court in an important game

Still not sure why we can't/or if we can't give Kouma a Schollie and let him practice like Lovett. NCAA is determining admission, only eligibility to play. Maybe that's still in the works.

Govoner Vaugn Fan

New Orleans
Hamlin, according to some recruiting reviews, is much stronger on defense than offence. A little defense is usually what you hope for in a freshman big used here and there to give the starters a rest, so I see that as a potential positive. He seems to have a shooting range to 15ft and shot about .650 last year and .750 on free throws. If he can defend a bit at this level, he will get a few minutes.

Tacomallini

Washington State
Hamlin will be a redshirt, 110% guaranteed (barring catastrophic injury).
Assuming Kouma doesn't clear and Hamlin does redshirt- we still looking for a transfer big? Anyone out there still? Fill the open scholarship with Grandison? While our frontcourt is vastly improved over the past couple years, we're still thin. Anyone think Hamlin has to play?

Assuming Kouma doesn't clear and Hamlin does redshirt- we still looking for a transfer big? Anyone out there still? Fill the open scholarship with Grandison? While our frontcourt is vastly improved over the past couple years, we're still thin. Anyone think Hamlin has to play?
Think it's a Plan "C", but if necessary. To Quote JGoodson: "He's a one year try out, sink or swim" But he may be useful for some fill in minutes, as well as practice.

Well here’s to hoping that the Illini wont have to go to the plan c or d route in the near future.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
I saw him play a handful of times in high school. He's decent and was decently built last I saw him. His ceiling is a poor man's Nnanna Egwu, his floor is...well, whatever it is. He will be coachable, and parts of our system aren't too dissimilar to the motion offense Lincoln runs. We'll see how he does playing man (Lincoln play a 1-2-2 and live and die by it).

At any rate, Welcome to the Family Jermaine.

Last edited:
Hey, if nothing else, building a pretty fair full time practice unit with Hutcherson, Grandison (if he commits), Hamlin, and, maybe, Kouma. Really, they all fall into the One Year Tryout category, given the status and structure. Nothing to lose at this point. I don't think there's much else to look at.

Some Perspective: Truth is that BU, excepting for injury, doesn't really want to play more than 9 - 10 (max) regular rotation players. That's where they are. Issue is potential injuries, and I agree, we're a little thin on the front line, but not as bad as last year when it was basically just Giorgi and some necessary pretenders. At this juncture, we will be reemploying some of the usual suspects to play out of position to a much lesser degree.

I know the ship has probably sailed, but does anyone know where Samba Kane landed? If he doesn't have a better option and given the lack of front court depth, is there any chance for reconciliation?

Very positive addition. Even if he red-shirts this year, he brings a long body with shot blocking skills to practice against.

I HOPE he redshirts but it seems so unlikely. If he redshirts he’s got a chance at relevancy come 2021

Out of how many? The list of top targets has been long and over three years, we have more transfers than we do Fall commitments. Hey, this does at least close the gap on the overseas vs state of Illinois player ratio.

I do not think I could care less about recruiting the state of Illinois. The only people that do care are out of touch with the reality of our current game.

Deleted member 236589

D
I do not think I could care less about recruiting the state of Illinois. The only people that do care are out of touch with the reality of our current game.
Are you kidding? You know our best player, only NBA prospect and key to our entire season is from Chicago....right? You do know that Chicago is one of the top one or two recruiting areas in the country, right? This program will never ever be able to sustain, what used to be, an elite tradition without recruiting this state and recruiting it well. Between Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, Peoria, East St. Louis, Belvidere, etc....there is a riches of talent unlike most other states and over the last five years....outside of Ayo, we've gotten none of it and have sucked each and every year.

Our last decent teams were led by Illinois based talent, Paul, Richardson, Egwu, Abrams....all Illinois kids. You look at our roster now....less Ayo, nothing.

There's a reason why we're at where we're at. We don't get our piece of the pie in our own state. For the flagship school to continually be left in the cold is a pure failure on behalf of the staff and the results back that up.

They can continue to scour all four corners of the US and the globe, but until they stop losing 3 of the top 5 recruits in the state to the likes if Iowa State(two years ago)....expect nothing but the same. To think it doesn't matter is pure lunacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.