Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if there is a chance Hamlin still goes to Prep School while being committed to Illinois for 2020. Kind of like Javon Pickett with Miznoz. This is assuming the Kouma situation gets resolved quickly.

Hamlin is not listed on the roster because he has not yet signed a financial aid tender and the program has not officially announced the addition.

If money isn't an issue for Hamlin he could enroll at UIUC and "walk-on" his freshman year. Having access to our Gym, coaching staff, and weight room could be seen as more beneficial than prep school potentially.

I wonder if there is a chance Hamlin still goes to Prep School while being committed to Illinois for 2020. Kind of like Javon Pickett with Miznoz. This is assuming the Kouma situation gets resolved quickly.

Hamlin is not listed on the roster because he has not yet signed a financial aid tender and the program has not officially announced the addition.
My guess is that could be the path we take, it might be inferred that he's coming unless Kouma is cleared, then hopefully next year. It seems like such a joke about Kouma's grades we might actually have a chance.

Last edited:

IbleedOandB2014

In BU we trust
Chattanooga
Berwnard Kouma commented on the Ryan Evan’s video tonight saying his transcripts have to be translated to English which is what is slowing the process. Says he will know by this Wednesday. It was around the 6-8min mark when he started commenting. 2 days and sounds like we may know what will happen here.

IllFanInMi

I
Berwnard Kouma commented on the Ryan Evan’s video tonight saying his transcripts have to be translated to English which is what is slowing the process. Says he will know by this Wednesday. It was around the 6-8min mark when he started commenting. 2 days and sounds like we may know what will happen here.

Not an expert, been a few years since I went through this with my oldest.

The NCAA established the Clearinghouse that any male or female athlete who desires to play a sport in college must register with and be issued a identification number. Among other information captured, the athlete is able to input courses taken and self track their courses to ensure they are taking the necessary courses in the correct core curriculums. In other words, the athlete is given a site to monitor there progress and stay on track to meet eligibility for scholarships/participation in athletics. D1 and D2 have slightly different requirements and I don’t believe D3 is applicable because they offer academic scholarships, not athletic.

In general, an athlete must achieve a specific GPA and take enough classes in the required curriculums in order to be academically eligible to play a sport. I’m not certain, if this only applies to those receiving $ to play, but something tells me it could be. I don’t think it has anything to do with being accepted as a student, that’s left in the hands of the colleges.

It makes sense if you think about it. A kid can take basket weaving, watch the sprinklers go off and on, etc... come out of high school with a 4.0 and get a full ride. This is another way for the NCAA to police the cheaters and ensure kids take “real” well rounded courses.

If money isn't an issue for Hamlin he could enroll at UIUC and "walk-on" his freshman year. Having access to our Gym, coaching staff, and weight room could be seen as more beneficial than prep school potentially.
Good thoughts. One would think if Kouma is still in play....One of the recent recruits are walking on. Or Hamlin told he has a spot pending Kouma???

When they announced the signing I thought it was a desperation move (Kouma). I am encouraged watching the highlights . He is more agile than I expected,
Actually would like to have him in development along with Kouma. Five bigs would be perfect. Didn't think we would be short a scholarship.

Deleted member 236589

D
You have to give staff credit for not officially accepting Hamlin's commitment until Kouma's situation is cleared up. It should be resolved in the next couple of days.
Unless the kid can pay his own way, with classes starting in what....a week(?), how does this benefit him? If Kouma does qualify, then this kid is left in the cold? What other options would he have?

It's great for us to sit and armchair QB their recruiting tactics, but I have to believe they know the outcome. If the family can afford a years tuition (no reason to believe they can't), then this is a wise move. If they can't and the NCAA clears Kouma, then that would suck to be the family and the kid.

Maybe I'm way off in my thought process, but being a plan B a few days before school starts(I'd hope classes picked).....is a risky move, unless if course he does indeed have the resources and grades to qualify.

IllFanInMi

I
New highlights of Hamlin. I'm seeing Ebo with slightly better touch.

I can’t remember Ebos tape, but this guy really seems to understand post positioning, how to “get big” to receive an entry pass, has good hands, and immediately attacks the basket with authority. I also see some nice reverse pivots to create space for a short jumper. Could be he’s physically out manning his defenders, which won’t be the case now, but I see him as more refined than Ebo.

I’m wondering if he’s really that much different than Kouma at this stage🤔.

Perhaps they play a game of one on one, winner gets the ride💪🏻

Rather see Grandison as the conditional based on roster balance.

After some additional research, Kouma didn't come to the U.S. until 2016 and at that point he enrolled at Redemption Christian Academy in Northfield,Mass. They are not accredited by the state of Mass. and were questioned by the NCAA to be a diploma mill. Abruptly in late April of this year they closed the Northfield campus. Probably, between the Chad start and RCA experience, his problems started.
I am really rooting for this kid big time. He comes from a war torn country where 80% of the country is in severe poverty and a fresh glass of water is a luxury. Good luck Bernard, our thoughts are with you!!

Deleted member 4960

D
Hamlin has good hands, and runs to the rim and seems to finish well. A lot better than a lot of bigs including much higher rated Nanna Egwu who couldn’t hold onto a pass his 1st couple of years. Doesn’t look like he has the hops of Egwu though.

I can’t remember Ebos tape, but this guy really seems to understand post positioning, how to “get big” to receive an entry pass, has good hands, and immediately attacks the basket with authority. I also see some nice reverse pivots to create space for a short jumper. Could be he’s physically out manning his defenders, which won’t be the case now, but I see him as more refined than Ebo.

I’m wondering if he’s really that much different than Kouma at this stage🤔.

Perhaps they play a game of one on one, winner gets the ride💪🏻

Kouma's ceiling is much higher than Hamlin's.

Kouma's ceiling is much higher than Hamlin's.

Yes probably so and the difference in games will correlate to where they played their high school basketball at....big city lights vs smaller town nights so to speak....that said I still don't think a Mitchell/Hamlin deal would be too bad with Kofi and Giorgi already here and proven commodities for at least 2 more years.

Unless the kid can pay his own way, with classes starting in what....a week(?), how does this benefit him? If Kouma does qualify, then this kid is left in the cold? What other options would he have?

It's great for us to sit and armchair QB their recruiting tactics, but I have to believe they know the outcome. If the family can afford a years tuition (no reason to believe they can't), then this is a wise move. If they can't and the NCAA clears Kouma, then that would suck to be the family and the kid.

Maybe I'm way off in my thought process, but being a plan B a few days before school starts(I'd hope classes picked).....is a risky move, unless if course he does indeed have the resources and grades to qualify.

Hamlin was originally planning on going to prep school perhaps that is still an option for him if he doesn't get a spot here.

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
The notion that Kouma has a higher ceiling is merely opinion. There is nothing to back up that point. You can argue from tape you have seen that he is more advanced right now, but Hamlin may turn out to be the better of the two because defense is harder to teach and the kid hasn't been playing that long. Neither are projected as first round NBA players , nor even starters, having both on the bench doesn't seem so bad to me, there are always games where you need someone to go in and put a body on someone so they don't think it's going to be an easy night on the blocks. If one of them turns into the Rick Roby of next season, I'll root for them go come in like I would in hockey, someone put a body on that guy, he's killing us. Let the bodies his the floor..... :)

As MSU is projected to win the BIG, I thought it woul be interesting to compare the rosters:
MSU, mins, pts. UI, mins, pts
Winston,33.5,18.8. Ayo,31.1,13.8
Langford,28.6, 15. Trent, 30.6, 13.7
Tillman, 24.1, 10. Giorgi, 26.2, 12.5
Henry, 22., 6.1. Dre, 22.3, 8.3
Ahrens, 18.8, 4.7. Kipper 18.1, 5.7
Brown, 7.9, 2.3. Tevian, 9.2, 3.5
Watts, n/a Kofi, n/a
These matchups don't look that horrible to me in terms of talent. Believe Ayo might match up well with Winston in 2019-20. Langford a plus matchup for them but rest pretty equal. Now it depends how how the coaches matchup.

The notion that Kouma has a higher ceiling is merely opinion. There is nothing to back up that point. You can argue from tape you have seen that he is more advanced right now, but Hamlin may turn out to be the better of the two because defense is harder to teach and the kid hasn't been playing that long. Neither are projected as first round NBA players , nor even starters, having both on the bench doesn't seem so bad to me, there are always games where you need someone to go in and put a body on someone so they don't think it's going to be an easy night on the blocks. If one of them turns into the Rick Roby of next season, I'll root for them go come in like I would in hockey, someone put a body on that guy, he's killing us. Let the bodies his the floor..... :)

Agreed. I'll throw in that although Kuoma may have a higher floor and is more skilled right now, Hamlin is a much better athlete. He can get up for a big guy.

If Ebo or Samba would have stayed, this team would be in such a better situation. Seems like we can never catch a break, but that's life I guess. Go Illini!

Status
Not open for further replies.