Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remind me again, who is JM? It sounds as if you are referring to Hamlin. Is there a reason we are calling him JM? Did I miss the memo?
I'm guessing Jermaine? But didn't get where Higgs came in based on the quotes.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
Totally disagree. We have other guys that can compete in all phases. How much did Samba play in meaningful games last season? Almost never the later half of the year and now we have more options than then. Samba left and didnt get a top offer and he is better than JM. How deep do you feel our rotations will be? JM will be the last big on our bench and likely wont play. He is not ready yet and that's why he was headed to prep school. This is really the first offer I am not to excited about because I feel he is a short term practice player. Some playersxwill only play in blow outs. Its unrealistic to expect all scholarship players to play meaningful minutes. I hope he improves but h.c ecwould be the first guess to transfer next season.

Hamlin is a quintessential long play. Will he pan out? Seriously, no one knows. But very early returns are encouraging. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Fully agree that he'll see very sparse meaningful minutes this season.

I'm guessing Jermaine? But didn't get where Higgs came in based on the quotes.
Sorry for my typo. Yes i was referring to being higher on Higgs at the time than i am currently on Hamlin. I hope he is yet another surprise. If he is he will be the biggest one yet!
https://247sports.com/recruitment/anthony-higgs-105139/recruitinterests/

Higgs was a solid recruit with good offers he just was dealt a bad hand getting ill. It really sucked we could have used him last season and this season too if not for his illness.

Last edited:
Hamlin is a quintessential long play. Will he pan out? Seriously, no one knows. But very early returns are encouraging. I wouldn't be so quick to write him off. Fully agree that he'll see very sparse meaningful minutes this season.
I am not writing him off and maybe he can develop. I just dont think he will play for sometime as i think we are getting better each year at every position on the court and with depth on the bench. he is fourth in line at best is all i am saying. I wish him the best.

Joseph Kerr

Fort Wayne, IN
I am not writing him off and maybe he can develop. I just dont think he will play for sometime as i think we are getting better each year at every position on the court and with depth on the bench. he is fourth in line at best is all i am saying. I wish him the best.
What team plays all of their players? Have we progressed so far that all of our recruits are all stars? Bobby Knight offered a guy a scholarship and told him he wouldn't step foot on the court unless it was a blow out or he was shaming someone.....he was a great practice guy and a coach in waiting.

What team plays all of their players? Have we progressed so far that all of our recruits are all stars? Bobby Knight offered a guy a scholarship and told him he wouldn't step foot on the court unless it was a blow out or he was shaming someone.....he was a great practice guy and a coach in waiting.
RIVERCITYCHIEF said:
Totally disagree. We have other guys that can compete in all phases. How much did Samba play in meaningful games last season? Almost never the later half of the year and now we have more options than then. Samba left and didnt get a top offer and he is better than JH. How deep do you feel our rotations will be? JH will be the last big on our bench and likely wont play. He is not ready yet and that's why he was headed to prep school. This is really the first offer I am not to excited about because I feel he is a short term practice player. Some players will only play in blow outs. Its unrealistic to expect all scholarship players to play meaningful minutes. I hope he improves but I would be the first guess to transfer next season.

That is kind of my point. you must not have read the thread. I said he would not make the rotation I said he was taken on last minute for practice. I do not think Hamlin will play. Do you?

I do not think that with reduced scholarships that using scholarships for practice players is what coaches want to do but this year was odd when Samba left as late as he did. When was the last time you think Duke and coach K signed with a scholarship to be a practice player. I do not think he does nor do i think BU ideally wants to do that either. Do you?

Last edited:

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
I do not think that with reduced scholarships that using scholarships for practice players is what coaches want to do but this year was odd when Samba left as late as he did. When was the last time you think Duke and coach K signed with a scholarship to be a practice player. I do not think he does nor do i think BU ideally wants to do that either. Do you?

I have no problem with taking a very late flyer on a kid vs leaving a ride open. Nothing to lose. If he doesn't make the grade, his ride will re-open.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
RIVERCITYCHIEF said:
Totally disagree. We have other guys that can compete in all phases. How much did Samba play in meaningful games last season? Almost never the later half of the year and now we have more options than then. Samba left and didnt get a top offer and he is better than JH. How deep do you feel our rotations will be? JH will be the last big on our bench and likely wont play. He is not ready yet and that's why he was headed to prep school. This is really the first offer I am not to excited about because I feel he is a short term practice player. Some players will only play in blow outs. Its unrealistic to expect all scholarship players to play meaningful minutes. I hope he improves but I would be the first guess to transfer next season.

That is kind of my point. you must not have read the thread. I said he would not make the rotation I said he was taken on last minute for practice. I do not think Hamlin will play. Do you?

Coach K can do this with high 4*s, maybe they will contribute in year 3 or 4, or fill in for an injured 5*. My understanding is that JH is an athletic big, who excels on the defensive end. An easier skill to learn in the short time he has been playing basketball. If he can guard the rim, grab some rebounds, and make some put back dunks, I am sure that he can spell 5 or so minutes a game, maybe more.

Coach K can do this with high 4*s, maybe they will contribute in year 3 or 4, or fill in for an injured 5*. My understanding is that JH is an athletic big, who excels on the defensive end. An easier skill to learn in the short time he has been playing basketball. If he can guard the rim, grab some rebounds, and make some put back dunks, I am sure that he can spell 5 or so minutes a game, maybe more.
Good post! We're going to need 4 deep a few times!

Vee haff vays to make you vant to leef!
OK, so he doesn't play, obviously, but he still has a valuable scholarship. Aren't there rare occasions where the player decides that is enough? Or can the scholly be revoked no matter what the player wants?

Sp how deep do you think BU rotation will be and who do you think it will include?

Ayp, Trent, Felz, DW, Kofi, GB, AG, Tev, VerDonk, and Kipper will be the ten men in the rotation and that will likely shrink in B10 play. IMO Tyler Underwood will see more time than Ham;in. I hope he improves and gets better. There was a reason he was not ranked at all, had no quality offers which i what i tend to look at until the last second from us ,and was headed to prep school. He is not going to become a B10 type of 5 in 6 months. I hope he does an that i am incorrect. I am not drinking that Kool Aid nor do i think BU will go more than 10 deep on a regular basis. We will see who is correct, It is just unlikely he sees 5 minutes in close meaningful games all season total much less in games of a regular basis. IMO we will go to a zone if the bigs get in foul trouble before that happens. If he does get that time then he will replace one of the players listed in the rotation and that just is not likely to happen.

I have no problem with taking a very late flyer on a kid vs leaving a ride open. Nothing to lose. If he doesn't make the grade, his ride will re-open.
Totally agree which is basically what i think happened vs going to prep school. Hamlin seems to be a hard worker, good young man, will bust his tail to earn a long term spot and develop his game as a red shirt freshman to play here in the future or elsewhere. I hope he succeeds and has a great 4 or 5 years as a student athlete. No one loves when the players that are overlooked and doubted still succeed more than i do.

Sp how deep do you think BU rotation will be and who do you think it will include?

Ayp, Trent, Felz, DW, Kofi, GB, AG, Tev, VerDonk, and Kipper will be the ten men in the rotation and that will likely shrink in B10 play. IMO Tyler Underwood will see more time than Ham;in. I hope he improves and gets better. There was a reason he was not ranked at all, had no quality offers which i what i tend to look at until the last second from us ,and was headed to prep school. He is not going to become a B10 type of 5 in 6 months. I hope he does an that i am incorrect. I am not drinking that Kool Aid nor do i think BU will go more than 10 deep on a regular basis. We will see who is correct, It is just unlikely he sees 5 minutes in close meaningful games all season total much less in games of a regular basis. IMO we will go to a zone if the bigs get in foul trouble before that happens. If he does get that time then he will replace one of the players listed in the rotation and that just is not likely to happen.
Pretty much agree with your logic but believe there will be games where fouls or injuries will require another big. The question in my mind is Kipper. Didn't worry about the 4 last year because I thought Kippper could replace Black defensively and rebounding. Thought the major problem was at the 5. Giorgi changed the whole equation at 5 but we suffered with lack of size at the 4 and got killed in the paint and rebounding although Aaron did yeoman work despite being undersized. Believe Kofi and Giorgi will start and Giorgi will move to 5 when Kofi is out. However even if he is protected by a zone 25 mins will be a lot. So if we get 30 mins from Giorgi, we have 25 mins to fill with size. Is Verdunk that good? Sure hope so but not counting on it and don't want to see 40 points in the paint again. Bottom line is we need 3 bigs in rotation and we have 1 sophomore and 3 freshmen. Better than last year with two freshmen and crippled grad but short of ideal.

Pretty much agree with your logic but believe there will be games where fouls or injuries will require another big. The question in my mind is Kipper. Didn't worry about the 4 last year because I thought Kippper could replace Black defensively and rebounding. Thought the major problem was at the 5. Giorgi changed the whole equation at 5 but we suffered with lack of size at the 4 and got killed in the paint and rebounding although Aaron did yeoman work despite being undersized. Believe Kofi and Giorgi will start and Giorgi will move to 5 when Kofi is out. However even if he is protected by a zone 25 mins will be a lot. So if we get 30 mins from Giorgi, we have 25 mins to fill with size. Is Verdunk that good? Sure hope so but not counting on it and don't want to see 40 points in the paint again. Bottom line is we need 3 bigs in rotation and we have 1 sophomore and 3 freshmen. Better than last year with two freshmen and crippled grad but short of ideal.
It will be interesting to see in 2019 and 2020 how the minutes are distributed at the 3,4, & 5. One thing for sure is all of Kofi's minutes will be at the 5. I expect Kofi to average similar minutes a game to GB last season. which was basically 30 minutes in close B10 games less in others after looking at last years box scores that is what GB did. . I expect us to be either have GB or Kofi on the floor 95% of the time even with foul trouble they will be rotated down low. If fouls are not an issue i think one of the two will be out there all the time.
The 4 is what i am most curious about as to how minutes will be distributed. . I expect GB plays the 5 for 10 to 15 minutes a game and the 4 the other 15 to 20 minutes then how will the remaining 20-25 minutes at the 4 be absorbed by our bench? It may depend on our opponent but i think most will be by Verdonk and then Tev if he is more physical this season. The 3 will be a strong point for us with a lot of options in DW, Tev, AG and even Verdonk since he shoots it well and will rebound. It will certainly be interesting. i am very high on Verdonk based on what has been said by players and the coaches. He appears to be solid in all aspects where others may be better in some but lack on the glass and strength.. I would not be shocked if he will be the second guy at the 4 and Tev play 20 or more minutes a game primarily at 3 and just some at the 4. i am more concerned about he 4 when GB moves to the 5 than i am the 5 when GB slides over to take nearly all of the extra time at the 5.

i don't see Verdonk playing the 5 at all and unless Kofi and Georgie can play all year without foul trouble then yes I fully expext Hamlin to play at least 5 to 10 min a game..Where is Higgs now???
Giorgi averaged 26 minutes per game last year. In order for Hamlin to see 10 minutes that means you don’t think that Kofi can put up 14? There’s no world where Hamlin plays 10 and Kofi can’t do 14...

Giorgi averaged 26 minutes per game last year. In order for Hamlin to see 10 minutes that means you don’t think that Kofi can put up 14? There’s no world where Hamlin plays 10 and Kofi can’t do 14...
What GB averaged on the season is not the same thing as what he will play in tight meaningful games. Obviously he played less in the pre conference games and in blow outs. In those games guys not normally in the rotation will take minutes and GB will be rested more to provide others oppotunity. i looked at the B10 games and in the close B10 games he usually got 30 or more minutes. That is a fact i looked at the box scores from B10 play. i do not know what you are referring to with Kofi and 14? I do not think Hamlin will be in the rotation at all in B10 games and in all likely will redshirt. I do not follow your point there. GB will likely split his time between and 4 and the 5. Kofi playing all of his at the 5 and GB getting the rest. What to you feel the breakdown will be in B!0 play for those two positions ? i am not being argumentative i am seriously curious. i do not know that we are disagreeing actually. I think Hamlin is a practce player with some potential that iwll take time and will likely redshirt. I really dont see why people think he will be in our rotation at all Im curious as to other thoughts actually

Last edited:
so you have georgi and kofi playing the 5 all game?? Georgi will be playing how many minutes at the 4 leaving an opportunity for Hamlin especially if there is foul trouble

so you have georgi and kofi playing the 5 all game?? Georgi will be playing how many minutes at the 4 leaving an opportunity for Hamlin especially if there is foul trouble
Did you read my original post? i posted my thoughts on this. I agree this horse has been beaten enough. I am willing to see your breakdown though and we can disagree. Its clear you expect him to play but i think most do not and that he will be a practice player, blow out minutes and likely red shirt.

I do think GB and Kofi will basically play 95% of the time at the 5 and the rest will be dealt with in other ways, zone and Verdonk. I am more curious about the time at the 4 when GB slides over and at the 3. that is more unclear to me. Id like to hear others thoughts about 3 and 4, that is less clear to me personally.

I wish Hamiln luck and on to a new subject! We all have our own thoughts obviously! Go Illini

Last edited:
In regards to 3 and 4 I imagine certain requirements with the other 3 positions could factor in...With Kofi in and Giorgi out scoring options would be at a premium. AG appears to be taking to rebounding and if he is the shooter we are told he is against high div 1 comp he will earn many minutes at 3. With Giorgi in and Kofi out DW could be valuable helping on defense. Tev's length will be helpful if he worked hard on his d and rebounding. Will we go 3 guard lineup if so then some 3 minutes will be eaten up. I imagine opponents matchups will play into that.
From what I have gleaned it appears AG and DW have earned d and rebounding minutes. Verdonk sounds good on paper so if he can fill some minutes while Kofi or Giorgi on bench that would solidify most size matchup lineups. Big question right now. If Hamlin can play 5 or so minutes at 5 that is 5 or so more minutes Giorgi can be at 4.
So for the 4 in summation. My guess is Giorgi, Tev and Verdonk cover the 4 say 22, 10, 5. various presses with maybe 3 guards an undersized 4 and Hamlin staying back might cover a few minutes or any time left over will be covered by extra minutes from Kofi and Giorgi or an undersized option.
For the 3 . AG , Kipper or 3 guard lineup could start but I see minutes breakdown roughly AG 14, Tev, 8, DW 8 KN 8. The players who show the heart of a champion like Ayo, Giorgi, Trent and Andre will have put in the work and be prepared for the season. Rumblings and provenance give AG a thumbs up in this regard. What are KN , DW and Tev made of? I cannot wait to find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.