Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If donkey punch means the same thing to you as it does me, this is not possible

Not intended region I believe...kind of like Nunn at Oakland, but hey that worked out pretty good so go ahead and try that...lol

I think it's important to win 1 of the first 2 big ten games(maryland, michigan). Going 0-2 then going to MSU would be a tough way to start. Michigan, has 2 staters and Livers back. They will look at this game as a "W". Who can blame them Michigan has only lost once to ILL in the last what, 8 or more. These are the games Illini got to win this year. Games at home against good teams I am getting tired of losing to Mich, Purdue, Wisc, Iowa period let alone at home. Toss in Indiana after last year ,also.

Well, I won’t individual game it. (Might later)

25-6

No question about making the dance. Only wondering 4 or 5 seed.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This is about the baseline I’d be OK with. reasonably realistic for this year. 21-10 and 10 seed would be fine as long as we have more good recruits coming in and it seems more like progress and less like a peak.

Where ok is akin to acceptable. That's the floor, IMO. Should they fall short, that would not augur well. I'm pretty optimistic this team will be better than that floor. But, yeah, this is a critical season, on the floor and recruiting.

illini80

Forgottonia
This is about the baseline I’d be OK with. reasonably realistic for this year. 21-10 and 10 seed would be fine as long as we have more good recruits coming in and it seems more like progress and less like a peak.
I’m in the same boat. I don’t want to see a productive year and take a step back when Ayo leaves. I expect us to be a top 25 program year in and year out. Obviously that’s a long ways from where we’ve been recently, but we were mostly there for the better part of 30 years.

Tevo

Wilmette, IL
I’m in the same boat. I don’t want to see a productive year and take a step back when Ayo leaves. I expect us to be a top 25 program year in and year out. Obviously that’s a long ways from where we’ve been recently, but we were mostly there for the better part of 30 years.

We know Ayo i\s leaving (well, maybe 90% likely), and Feliz is gone, so we need to add a play-well-as-a-freshman point guard. We also need to see progress this year from the supporting cast AND feel like there is still more to get from them. Because 21-10 (let's say) and making the tournament would be a good step forward (and far from assured), it won't be enough if that's where we level off. We've all been hoping Ayo would elevate play, and his development (and Giorgi's) would help recruiting. We've been half-right so far.

TheAngryBavarian

Charleston/Collinsville
I'll go.

Nicholls State-W
@Grand Canyon-W
@Arizona-L (It'll be pretty close)
Hawaii-W
Citadel-W
Hampton-W
TBA-W (Might change)
Miami-W
@Maryland-L
Michigan-L (Don't see this one happening)
Old Dominion-W
Miznoz-W (Muck Fark Smith)
NC A&T-W
@Michigan State-L
Purdue-W
@Wisconsin-L (We don't do well at the Kohl Center)
Rutgers-W
Northwestern-W
@Purdue-L
@Michigan-L
Minny-W
@Iowa-W
Maryland-W
Michigan State-L
@Rutgers-W
@Penn State- L (Kind of a duck for us)
Nebraska-W
@Northwestern-W
Indiana-W
@Ohio State-L
Iowa-W

Overall: 21-10
Home: 16-2
Away: 4-8
N: 1-0
NC: 10-1
B10: 11-9

Had recent catchup with my one program "insider" (former collegiate player playing under BU as an assistant from 90's/current HS coach)...

BU is pretty high on the effort/attitude/abilities of this team. All of roster are "his guys" (effort/attitude/team-first) whether he recruited them or not. Would like more depth at "big" (who doesn't?) but is pretty high on Kofi. Thinks Kofi will have some games of dominance and then some struggles with fouls on other nights as he adjusts to the level of competition. Along with individual progression of team, Kofi could be the difference between competing in the top third of conference or missing the tournament. Says that box scores be darned, BU says Feliz is the heartbeat of the team and makes every drill/practice a competition. Raises everyones game and is true leader.

My contact also got to play a "pickup" game at a recent camp with the current team. All of guys very cool, Ayo and Kofi called out in particular. My contact a college combo gaurd, was marking/being marked by Giorgi. Said GB talked smack the entire time (very good natured) and can see why his opponents hate him and teammates love him. Has great sense of humor. At one point razzed my guy...."you're too slow to guard me (buddy)" to which my contact said "not true....just too old!!!!".

Deleted member 29907

D
Had recent catchup with my one program "insider" (former collegiate player playing under BU as an assistant from 90's/current HS coach)...

BU is pretty high on the effort/attitude/abilities of this team. All of roster are "his guys" (effort/attitude/team-first) whether he recruited them or not. Would like more depth at "big" (who doesn't?) but is pretty high on Kofi. Thinks Kofi will have some games of dominance and then some struggles with fouls on other nights as he adjusts to the level of competition. Along with individual progression of team, Kofi could be the difference between competing in the top third of conference or missing the tournament. Says that box scores be darned, BU says Feliz is the heartbeat of the team and makes every drill/practice a competition. Raises everyones game and is true leader.

My contact also got to play a "pickup" game at a recent camp with the current team. All of guys very cool, Ayo and Kofi called out in particular. My contact a college combo gaurd, was marking/being marked by Giorgi. Said GB talked smack the entire time (very good natured) and can see why his opponents hate him and teammates love him. Has great sense of humor. At one point razzed my guy...."you're too slow to guard me (buddy)" to which my contact said "not true....just too old!!!!".
Really agree with the Dre Feliz comment - he's the second, more aggressive coming of Tracy Abrams - but can score at the rim. if you watch the end of the Rutgers game its really cool to see AF go after Omoruyi when he pushes GB (to your other point of GB being one of those guys you love on your team but hate on someone else's).

illini80

Forgottonia

Thanks for the comments. Re: Kofi, I think that he will likely look dominant against smaller teams, but likely struggle a good part of the season against guys that can match up with him on strength, if not size. Freshman seldom get the benefit of the doubt on 50/50 calls and his biggest struggle may be staying on the court in those games. Hopefully he can be a fast learner with some help from Giorgi. How awesome would it have been to have Dre for 4 years!

foby

Bonnaroo Land
I'll go.

Nicholls State-W
@Grand Canyon-W
Hawaii-W
Citadel-W
Hampton-W
TBA-W (Might change)
Miami-W
@Maryland-L
Old Dominion-W
NC A&T-W
@Michigan State-L
Purdue-W
Rutgers-W
Northwestern-W
@Purdue-L
@Michigan-L
Minny-W
@Iowa-W
Maryland-W
Michigan State-L
@Rutgers-W
Nebraska-W
@Northwestern-W
Indiana-W
@Ohio State-L
Iowa-W

Definitely hope to not see an early season home loss to a first year coach at Michigan.

I'll go.

Nicholls State-W
@Grand Canyon-W
Hawaii-W
Citadel-W
Hampton-W
TBA-W (Might change)
Miami-W
@Maryland-L
Old Dominion-W
NC A&T-W
@Michigan State-L
Purdue-W
Rutgers-W
Northwestern-W
@Purdue-L
@Michigan-L
Minny-W
@Iowa-W
Maryland-W
Michigan State-L
@Rutgers-W
Nebraska-W
@Northwestern-W
Indiana-W
@Ohio State-L
Iowa-W

I say we win @ Arizona and at home v Michigan, 23-8, 12-8 B1G, 11-0 NC, 1-0 N. I'll go with you on @OSU, although I had a hard time with that game.

We know Ayo i\s leaving (well, maybe 90% likely), and Feliz is gone, so we need to add a play-well-as-a-freshman point guard. We also need to see progress this year from the supporting cast AND feel like there is still more to get from them. Because 21-10 (let's say) and making the tournament would be a good step forward (and far from assured), it won't be enough if that's where we level off. We've all been hoping Ayo would elevate play, and his development (and Giorgi's) would help recruiting. We've been half-right so far.

Far from assured. I will assure it.

Thanks for the comments. Re: Kofi, I think that he will likely look dominant against smaller teams, but likely struggle a good part of the season against guys that can match up with him on strength, if not size. Freshman seldom get the benefit of the doubt on 50/50 calls and his biggest struggle may be staying on the court in those games. Hopefully he can be a fast learner with some help from Giorgi. How awesome would it have been to have Dre for 4 years!

Seriously, who in the B1G can match up with Kofi on strength? Maybe Wesson? I recognize that he'll need to adjust to the speed of the game, increase his conditioning, increase post moves, avoid fouling, etc. but man, Giorgi matched up size-wise with most B1G bigs last year and Kofi makes him look like a guard LOL

Seriously, who in the B1G can match up with Kofi on strength? Maybe Wesson? I recognize that he'll need to adjust to the speed of the game, increase his conditioning, increase post moves, avoid fouling, etc. but man, Giorgi matched up size-wise with most B1G bigs last year and Kofi makes him look like a guard LOL

1566873758389.png

Status
Not open for further replies.