Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Goodson

respect my decision™
This has to be a soft landing for Walker on his way out the door, doesn't it? Whatever the spin, I can't imagine being pulled off of the actual coaching staff is going to do much for his prospects.

Flat-out demotion for Walker. He's definitely gone, just a matter of time. Underwood and Whitman did him a solid on the soft landing. Walker failed in a 5 year strong St. Louis prep scene. He may be a great guy, but he wasn't getting anything done WRT recruiting.

sbillini

st petersburg, fl
I'd guess more than that, but I don't know U of I's endowment spending policy. Of course that isn't what the Richmonds donated, just like the Smith family that has their name on the football center didn't pay for the whole thing. Looking at U of I foundation website, minimum gift to name a deanship is $5M.

Yeah, like i said, depends on what your assumptions are. I don't know what UofI's policy is either. I just assumed an 8% discount rate and 2.5% inflation. So to fully endow the salary (what the question was asking) it's around $54M. But those assumptions can obviously change...and lord do we know illinois public institutions love playing hollywood accounting with future cash flow assumptions!

This has to be a soft landing for Walker on his way out the door, doesn't it? Whatever the spin, I can't imagine being pulled off of the actual coaching staff is going to do much for his prospects.

The bio for walker online talks about how he mentors guards blah blah blah. Maybe that’s a real thing and he is removing himself from recruiting but still focusing on defensive minded coaching for the team? I have no problem keeping him on the staff but I think he’s been weak on the recruiting trail so this is at worst a lateral move that allows underwood to bring back a trusted staff member familiar with his system. This is Underwood’s big push now to remain our head coach as he goes into the next 2 seasons and he’s bringing anyone on that can help him make it through.

The bio for walker online talks about how he mentors guards blah blah blah. Maybe that’s a real thing and he is removing himself from recruiting but still focusing on defensive minded coaching for the team? I have no problem keeping him on the staff but I think he’s been weak on the recruiting trail so this is at worst a lateral move that allows underwood to bring back a trusted staff member familiar with his system. This is Underwood’s big push now to remain our head coach as he goes into the next 2 seasons and he’s bringing anyone on that can help him make it through.
I think he is glad to have him back, would have been nice 1st yr though, but he has experienced Gonzaga 2 yrs and has even more contacts now, looking forward to better returns in the future!

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
I hope any coaching changes result in better closing on recruits. Anyone know the skinny on recruiting? Is this an upgrade?

Gentry is coming here to teach and develop the nitty-gritty of Underwood's system. Any recruiting we get would be a bonus. I do think it will definitely help to have a guy who knows the skills we need doing evaluations at off-campus events.

But here's what has me so enthused

Combined Seasons Working With Brad Underwood Among The Three Assistant Coaches:

2017-18: Zero
2018-19: 3
2019-20: 8

Flat-out demotion for Walker. He's definitely gone, just a matter of time. Underwood and Whitman did him a solid on the soft landing. Walker failed in a 5 year strong St. Louis prep scene. He may be a great guy, but he wasn't getting anything done WRT recruiting.
Agreed. Walker was kept when Underwood was hired thinking he'd help with Mark Smith, Tilmon and Liddell. Other than one year of Smith, none of that happened.

My thinking is that Underwood knows his seat could get hot in the next year or two if things don't turn around, so he needs to do it his way with his guys. Probably was understood at the end of the season that Walker was free to leave for other opportunities, but didn't have any great opportunities, so this arrangement was agreed upon to save face for everyone.

I'd be surprised if he's here by the time 2020-2021 rolls around though.

Deleted member 4333

D
Do you think he's going to be satisfied in his new role?

Gentry fills the assistant coach position of Jamall Walker, who will transition into the role of assistant to the head coach/defensive coordinator. Illinois is creating the position to assist Walker, an aspiring head coach, with new responsibilities that will help best prepare him to one day lead his own program.
Walker will work closely with Underwood in handling all the daily coaching and administrative facets of leading the Fighting Illini, with special emphasis on defensive game-planning, preparations and analysis.
"I appreciate Coach Underwood providing this new role as I seek to gain experience in our industry that goes far beyond what happens on the court," Walker said. "I have invested so much in Fighting Illini Basketball over these last seven years and am motivated to continue pushing forward with this staff and help our program realize the success that everyone is working so hard to achieve."
"Jamall is a talented young coach who, without question, has a future as a college head coach," Underwood said. "I saw that first-hand with the outstanding job he did leading the Illini during the 2017 NIT. He will work alongside me when it comes to the many responsibilities, opportunities, and issues that come across a head coach's desk every single day. This partnership will allow him to gain more experience in running a program, with the ultimate goal that the professional development opportunity allows him to realize his dream of becoming a division one head coach."

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA

Well stated.

Gentry is coming here to teach and develop the nitty-gritty of Underwood's system. Any recruiting we get would be a bonus. I do think it will definitely help to have a guy who knows the skills we need doing evaluations at off-campus events.

But here's what has me so enthused

Combined Seasons Working With Brad Underwood Among The Three Assistant Coaches:

2017-18: Zero
2018-19: 3
2019-20: 8
If you count walker as still being on the staff does that 8 become a 10?

Walker has always been a good dude, but he is not a recruiter. Possibly he wants to see this through and doesn't want to uproot his family. An asst. Coach that can't recruit is like a professor who can't publish or receive grants. Walker likely at best would only garner asst. type jobs at mid majors. Still think he will not be around next year or possibly this year. Interesting that he was Groce's best coach.

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Weird timing on this. Something more than meets the eye here.
No kidding. This would have made total sense if Walker had "left" and Gentry was hired during normal carousel time after the tournament, but now? Two months before the season begins?

Status
Not open for further replies.