Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Approximately $175,000

ab35c64d34ff86d5bb28b2848228b7ad.gif

Hope staff turmoil doesn’t sour this team.

Following the illini was more fun when i just watched the games.

Deleted member 29907

D
If BU was forced to make a move in this situation, he is clearly not the leader in this instance.
It may not have been his decision, but as a Leader he needs to make it his and not be transparent to anyone about it. As a leader, you don't get to pick and chose when you want to Lead your organization and when you want to gripe about the boss's decision. You own it so your group/team realizes its the right thing (whether you agree with it or not) and just like we wouldn't want JW to throw BU under the bus in situations, we don't want BU doing the same.

It may not have been his decision, but as a Leader he needs to make it his and not be transparent to anyone about it. As a leader, you don't get to pick and chose when you want to Lead your organization and when you want to gripe about the boss's decision. You own it so your group/team realizes its the right thing (whether you agree with it or not) and just like we wouldn't want JW to throw BU under the bus in situations, we don't want BU doing the same.

Maybe we have different definitions of leader. Imo a leader can not be forced to make a decision because he is at the top of the chain. He can/should take suggestions, but the final decision should always be his.

If BU shows frustration, I think it’s great. It proves to the people who work for him that he fought for them even if he lost, which makes him the type of leader a lot of people want to be around.

Deleted member 29907

D
Maybe we have different definitions of leader. Imo a leader can not be forced to make a decision because he is at the top of the chain. He can/should take suggestions, but the final decision should always be his.

If BU shows frustration, I think it’s great. It proves to the people who work for him that he fought for them even if he lost, which makes him the type of leader a lot of people want to be around.
We clearly have different definitions - unless he's the top guy - he is subordinate to those above him. Leaders are forced all the time to support decisions made above them they may not agree with. Businesses, Corps, Military all rely on that structure. You fight like hell for what you believe and for your guys, but if the decision is ultimately made against that, you suck it up and own it.

It sucks, but that's what good leaders have to do - not deflect, or blame someone else. Everyone get's on board much quicker and you don't throw your boss under the bus. If it's worth resigning for - you do that.

Timing is certainly odd for staff changes. Something behind the scenes clearly triggered that move and set things in motion. At least it appears we hopefully got better as far as assistants go, but that’s a really low bar to clear. I said at the end of last year it was time to part ways with Walker, as his recruiting had been poor at best and we had missed on pretty much every guy from his area.

I’m hopeful Gentry can bring some tactical improvement to the staff. It’s certainly needed. But can he recruit?

Illini in OC

In. The. Alley.

Sorry everyone for being dense here but I'm a bit lost after scouring posts over the past couple of days.
Can someone please fill in the gaps for me?

My understanding is:
- Gentry is replacing Walker as assistant coach (Net positive. Staff upgrade Assume Good for BU)
- Walker is demoted to role as BU assistant (Bad for Walker, otherwise neutral)
- There is a lot of internet speculation about JW's role in this caper and BU being upset about it (What do we know to be true here?)

What am I missing? Is there some reliable reporting I need to read?

Sorry everyone for being dense here but I'm a bit lost after scouring posts over the past couple of days.

Don't forget the anti-Guentherites peddling their venom at other sites, trying to tie Josh Whitman to him, implying that Josh is Evil Incarnate II. Or something like that.

My understanding is:
- Gentry is replacing Walker as assistant coach (Net positive. Staff upgrade Assume Good for BU)
- Walker is demoted to role as BU assistant (Bad for Walker, otherwise neutral)
- There is a lot of internet speculation about JW's role in this caper and BU being upset about it (What do we know to be true here?)

Is it a staff upgrade if BU didn't want it to happen?

If it was viewed as such a staff upgrade he would have been named an assistant coach right from the time BU was hired. BU really wanted him in Geoff Alexanders role.

i think this is what we are dancing around? and probably something we shouldn't speculate about. 0440?

Back to the lecture at hand....Walker doing some not above board things not directly related to coaching and JW stepped in while BU was willing to let it slide? That's my theory, and I'm sticking to it (until the next poster posts something).

The true upgrade would have been the Rev. I guess he really wanted to come home but team couldn't make it work from a compensation standpoint. So we got Gentry the guy Gonzaga passed over to take the Rev.

WiscIllini

Madison, WI
If it was viewed as such a staff upgrade he would have been named an assistant coach right from the time BU was hired. BU really wanted him in Geoff Alexanders role.

So is there a plan to mold Gentry into a serviceable recruiter, or are they just having him focus on the coaching? Does he have a personality that plays to recruiting?

jmilt7

Waukegan
Apropos of nothing, I took a look at a Gonzaga basketball fan board to see what they are saying about the Gentry hire and they are for the most part congratulating Gentry, wishing him good luck, all the best, etc. One person wrote, "Now that the Zags have an Illinois alum on their coaching staff and Illinois has a Zags alum, I think it's time to reboot that series for some revenge". I would like to see that, too, now that things seem to be looking up for Illinois basketball.

The true upgrade would have been the Rev. I guess he really wanted to come home but team couldn't make it work from a compensation standpoint. So we got Gentry the guy Gonzaga passed over to take the Rev.

Makes sense. The Zags have been ahead of us for pretty much 15 years now.

Don't forget the anti-Guentherites peddling their venom at other sites, trying to tie Josh Whitman to him, implying that Josh is Evil Incarnate II. Or something like that.

I don’t know about evil incarnate II, but they are definitely tied together like it or not. JW consults RG early and often. And to say RG didn’t light the world on fire as an AD would be a mild understatement.

I think Whitman’s tenure has been pretty underwhelming. His fundraising is okay, he brought the old school guys loyal to RG back into the fold, but the actual results leave a ton to be desired. This year is pivotal in both revenue sports. It’s now or never time to start putting a decent product on the court/field.

Status
Not open for further replies.