Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacraig

The desert
I get it....I was just trying to hint at that money isn't coming in like people think.

I imagine it's hard to sell donors on too much up front without some semblance of progress being shown on the floor/field. Basically, Whitman's hires need to start producing to justify further investment by the donors.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If you can name three available AD candidates that would have been better, or doing better, than the JW hire, I'll give you your very own applause .gif.
And a beach house.

sacraig

The desert
If you can name three available AD candidates that would have been better, or doing better, than the JW hire, I'll give you your very own applause .gif.
And a beach house.

Added criteria: that we could have afforded and that would have been interested in our job (especially after the dumpster fire our previous AD left behind).

foby

Bonnaroo Land
Why was Walker removed? Is the truth out there?

I get it....I was just trying to hint at that money isn't coming in like people think.

Can really tell with AD and the dept quoting "can't wait to see you in the seats this fall!" multiple times a week. They're trying to fix the issues a decent BB+FB team would naturally fix.

That's the first picture of TJ I've seen where he looks legitimately happy (to me) in quite some time.

Speak about Happy!! My all time favorite. This team is going to be really fun, particularly if they win!!

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 2.46.31 PM.png

Interesting point of view. I think of guys coming in as freshman as having that talent from the get-go. So I look at Ayo, and I don't give BU credit for how good his freshman season was. Since I didn't see these guys at their opening week of practice, I'm missing their true starting point.

If he lights a fire under Kipper, I'll give BU a ton of credit (as well as Kipper, of course). Getting inconsistent players to up their game is something I usually see only in great coaches. Great coaches seem to have a read on a player's psychology & and what works for them, that average coaches miss.
That’s fine not to give him credit for Ayo, but you seemed to forget about Trent and Giorgi.

Deleted member 569417

D
Added criteria: that we could have afforded and that would have been interested in our job (especially after the dumpster fire our previous AD left behind).
So, first, we need to establish the fact that many people at Illinois wanted Rick George, and he was in fact the first person that Illinois contacted about the open AD position. He quickly turned us down, but he was the first person contacted. Shad Khan's guy! Rick George at the time in 2015 was making a base salary of well over $700K and with easy incentives was basically >$1M at Colorado. They then tried Tiley who also made huge bucks, had an awesome job, and lived in one of the best cities on earth.

So, if you were willing to talk to Rick George or Craig Tiley about that job, that means you had to be prepared to offer a compensation package of ~$1M to fill that position. I mean, come on, they gave an guy from Div 3 with no experience at anything approaching a P5 program $600-800K a year. So, 900k-1M for an actual P5 guy should have been within their reach.

At the time of the opening here's 3 guys that were making far less than that in 2015:
Scott Stricklin at Miss State was making $425K
Rob Mullens at Oregon was making $500K
Chris Del Conte at TCU was making $700K

There are many others to pick from.

I know. I know. "BUT BUT WHY WOULD THEY LEAVE???"

People go to crap jobs like Illinois ALL THE TIME for 1 of 2 reasons:
1) Money
2) The opportunity is significantly above them and no one else would ever come close to offering them that role/money.

For the 3 above I mentioned, obviously they were supremely qualified, so the only reason they may have considered Illinois is Money. But, people take bad jobs for money all the time. Les Miles took the worst possible CFB job. Lovie Smith took over of the 5 worst programs in P5. You double Stricklin's or Mullens salary and that's hard to say no to. Do they accept? Don't know. But Illinois didn't try because the only thing that mattered was hiring an Illini grad with a connection to Guenther.

And, after George and Tiley quickly said no, they went straight to reason 2 why people take bad jobs and found 2 ex Illini that would not get a sniff from any P5 school any time in the foreseeable future. Yeah, they "interviewed" a couple other folks, but they were never going outside the Illini family after the Thomas thing.

So, this perspective that there weren't 3 people better than Whitman at the time, that Illinois couldn't afford an actual legit P5 AD, and that no one would ever take our bad job is absolute and total lunacy.

sacraig

The desert
So, first, we need to establish the fact that many people at Illinois wanted Rick George, and he was in fact the first person that Illinois contacted about the open AD position. He quickly turned us down, but he was the first person contacted. Shad Khan's guy! Rick George at the time in 2015 was making a base salary of well over $700K and with easy incentives was basically >$1M at Colorado. They then tried Tiley who also made huge bucks, had an awesome job, and lived in one of the best cities on earth.

So, if you were willing to talk to Rick George or Craig Tiley about that job, that means you had to be prepared to offer a compensation package of ~$1M to fill that position. I mean, come on, they gave an guy from Div 3 with no experience at anything approaching a P5 program $600-800K a year. So, 900k-1M for an actual P5 guy should have been within their reach.

At the time of the opening here's 3 guys that were making far less than that in 2015:

1) Money
2) The opportunity is significantly above them and no one else would ever come close to offering them that role/money.

For the 3 above I mentioned, obviously they were supremely qualified, so the only reason they may have considered Illinois is Money. But, people take bad jobs for money all the time. Les Miles took the worst possible CFB job. Lovie Smith took over of the 5 worst programs in P5. You double Stricklin's or Mullens salary and that's hard to say no to. Do they accept? Don't know. But Illinois didn't try because the only thing that mattered was hiring an Illini grad with a connection to Guenther.

And, after George and Tiley quickly said no, they went straight to reason 2 why people take bad jobs and found 2 ex Illini that would not get a sniff from any P5 school any time in the foreseeable future. Yeah, they "interviewed" a couple other folks, but they were never going outside the Illini family after the Thomas thing.

So, this perspective that there weren't 3 people better than Whitman at the time, that Illinois couldn't afford an actual legit P5 AD, and that no one would ever take our bad job is absolute and total lunacy.

Proof? Awfully big accusations with no evidence.

1) Money

I'm not sure discounting the Illinois connection carries that little weight, but good job on the statistical digging.

sacraig

The desert
Proof of what?

You claimed that those initial offers to bigger fish you mentioned were token because the search, from the start, was intended to hire a "Guenther guy." You've accused the process of being corrupt with zero evidence provided in support.

Deleted member 569417

D
There was no offer to bigger fish. They asked and wanted George who was making over $1M he told them to pound sand. So did Tiley. They went to the next ex Illini.

Good?

None of this matters if football and basketball aren't good.* We need to spend to support those programs. Hate to make this as cliched as "gotta spend money to make money" but there's few places where that applies more purely than college athletics.

*Admittedly biased Hockey Guy opinion, but I also think the hockey effort matters. All those suburbs that we moan about having just as much connection to Iowa City as Champaign? A lot of hockey families in those places.
jPhwFqXz_6umJeznKuo_YZN1OZ8=.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.