Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29907

D
Most teams play man to man defense, so most teams allot significantly more practice time to their man to man offense, sets, out of bounds plays, etc.

By playing zone, boeheim is saying that he gets to play his primary defense, against the offense that most teams don’t practice as much.

In terms of how this applies to us, BU talked a lot about zone for the Italy trip. I think he wants it in his bag this year. He has gone 3-2 most of the time, but we worked 1-3-1 and 2-3 (and combos in the same possession) in the games I saw. I think we have the ability to put out a “poor man’s Syracuse” type lineup that can play a long, athletic and active zone to frustrate teams. It will be interesting to see how the longer 3 pt line impacts zones as well.
Said another way - "I'm a whiny coach and I can't recruit all that well strictly on personality - so I need to recruit on (W/L) and go with a defense that most teams don't prepare well for because once I get to the tournament - its a huge advantage in playing teams outside my league. Now that I'm in the ACC - well, good coaches have figured me out and it doesn't work as well - but hey - at least I don't really care about preparing my players for playing D in the big league - so there's that,"

Seriously, they do put out a very tough D to score against because they are typically long and athletic (hit the boards well) and teams aren't that well prepared as you state. They are usually limited by their O skills when they are down. This kind of makes me think of the running / option QB vs the Pro Style in college FB. Option QB schemes works very well in College FB - but of course doesn't work in the pros since very large / fast men are chasing you down and ripping what they can from your body.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
ncaa basketball top 5 future bets (long shots) to win 2020 championship

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/09...future-bets-long-shots-win-2020-championship/

Illinois is 100 to 1
OK, This is something that I want to understand. From the article, it appears that there is a secondary market for futures bets, so if you get UI at 100/1, and they drop to 50/1, you could sell your position like a stock option. If so, this may be something that I would want to look into. I had never considered this angle.

KrushCow31

Former Krush Cow
Chicago, IL
OK, This is something that I want to understand. From the article, it appears that there is a secondary market for futures bets, so if you get UI at 100/1, and they drop to 50/1, you could sell your position like a stock option. If so, this may be something that I would want to look into. I had never considered this angle.
@Pride of Hebron bets a decent amount. He might know more. Also apparently you can tag users like Facebook if this works.

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
Better yet, build a market to facilitate those transactions and make a killing on fees :cool:.

Deleted member 533939

D
The market already exists, it gained some pub last year due to a huge Texas Tech futures ticket.

It's called PropSwap (.com, I assume)

Not sure I understand the Mizzou love. We've got a lot to prove, but showed some flashes last year with mostly underclassmen. We might have been Mizzou's best win last year. Not sure they've shown that their ceiling is a top 25 team. Guess we will see.

Hate wishing for winter but am excited for the season to start. Go Illini!

Epsilon

M tipping over
Pdx
The market already exists, it gained some pub last year due to a huge Texas Tech futures ticket.

It's called PropSwap (.com, I assume)

My bad, I meant to write platform not market.

Athlon has Ayo first team and Giorgi third team this year....not sure if anyone had seen this yet.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Good job VA...you nailed it !!!!!
9ff0add4dd9ca4cd308aac14ce39c82b.gif
[/QUOTE]

And their top 3 potential contributors weren't Smith, Tilmon and Pickett.
If that's what they got, I'm ok with that. Ultimately good players, Tilmon great potential, Pickett put it up against us last year when it meant something (truly wanted to be an Illini), Smith (I question his heart, don't believe he's going to be anything but an average, to above, D-1 starting player) but would not trade any of them for what we have now.

Pickett and Pinson will be really good 4 year players for them and a pain in the you know what by year 4 against us...that said, Tilmon may end up being a 4 year player (Zo) didn't get him up to where he should be by now imo, and Smith well, honestly, the kid has always been overmatched athletically in college. His build is not what a typical shooting guard looks like college/pro, his ability to drive/finish is very suspect, his injury took him out of the sport he probably should have stayed in baseball.
Whether or not his athleticism is top notch, Mark Smith showed enough last year that I'm pretty confident out of the entire (current) Mizzou roster, he finishes with at least the 2nd best career. Now, up for interpretation of what that really means, but he's got skills that will take him moderately far in college basketball.

jmilt7

Waukegan
There has been a lot of talk about Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk's potential. I was just wondering if anyone knew if he is 100 per cent healthy yet. Has he been cleared for practice? Is the leg injury healed? Is he practicing with the rest of the team? Thanks in advance

As I was doing a search for answers to my questions so I wouldn't have to waste anyone's time here, in vain, I ran across this (the most recent article on his injury that I could find) which has probably already been cited here but I thought some remarks from the article were interesting:

"He spent the bulk of his last two weeks before the Italy trip working with strength and conditioning coach Adam Fletcher since he couldn’t practice. Still, Bosmans-Verdonk found some time to get on the floor.

“He’s a gym rat,” Underwood said. “He works on ball handling. He sits in a chair and shoots. He’s shooting between 500 and 1,000 free throws a day. He’s still finding a way to stay in the gym.”

And this was from a News Gazette article by Scott Richey:

The promise of Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk

There has been a lot of talk about Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk's potential. I was just wondering if anyone knew if he is 100 per cent healthy yet. Has he been cleared for practice? Is the leg injury healed? Is he practicing with the rest of the team? Thanks in advance

As I was doing a search for answers to my questions so I wouldn't have to waste anyone's time here, in vain, I ran across this (the most recent article on his injury that I could find) which has probably already been cited here but I thought some remarks from the article were interesting:

"He spent the bulk of his last two weeks before the Italy trip working with strength and conditioning coach Adam Fletcher since he couldn’t practice. Still, Bosmans-Verdonk found some time to get on the floor.

“He’s a gym rat,” Underwood said. “He works on ball handling. He sits in a chair and shoots. He’s shooting between 500 and 1,000 free throws a day. He’s still finding a way to stay in the gym.”

And this was from a News Gazette article by Scott Richey:

The promise of Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk

I don't think they are practicing for another 3-4 weeks so I'm not sure we will know anything until then.

sacraig

The desert
and Smith well, honestly, the kid has always been overmatched athletically in college. His build is not what a typical shooting guard looks like college/pro, his ability to drive/finish is very suspect, his injury took him out of the sport he probably should have stayed in baseball.

This is pure sour grapes. He had a bad first season with us. Lots of freshman do. He had a pretty good season last year and clearly belongs at a high major program playing lots of minutes.

Who cares about his build? An atypical build is not a problem necessarily. It didn't stop Tyler Ulis. If Smith has the motivation to get it done, he's got the tools.

I say all this as a Metro East Illini die hard. Do you know how painful this is to be forced to actually defend Mizzou like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.