Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruman91

Paducah, Ky
Ayo Trent Giorgi will all play over 20.

Feliz and DaMonte are the next most likely. Put Kofi here due to our “need” also.

Then it’s a toss up between Griffin Jones and Kipper as to who gets minutes. This is where we really need improvement

If BBV provides solid backup that’s icing on the cake.

If DW is getting 20 + mins a game then we are in for another losing season..I support DW, b/c he is an Illini , but he has done nothing to warrant those type of minutes since he got here...We needed TJ and AG to get most of his mins last year and if they don't play more this year then we will see the same record as last year..
Some here look at DW with orange-colored glasses but the reality is he is a liability on the offensive end and far from a lock down Defensive player as some say or hope for..

My guess is Ayo, Trent, Giorgi and Kofi average 22-28 mins and Feliz,Jones and Griffin get 15-20 mins...DW and Kipper should get @ 5-10 mins maximum..
JMHO, and I have watched and replayed games since DW got here and this opinion is my own and not to single DW out, but many here think of DW and hope for more HRF play from him...That isn't happening and we need to give TJ and AG a FAIR shot at extended mins as they actually can score and make the opponents defense respect them..

If DW is getting 20 + mins a game then we are in for another losing season..I support DW, b/c he is an Illini , but he has done nothing to warrant those type of minutes since he got here...We needed TJ and AG to get most of his mins last year and if they don't play more this year then we will see the same record as last year..
Some here look at DW with orange-colored glasses but the reality is he is a liability on the offensive end and far from a lock down Defensive player as some say or hope for..

My guess is Ayo, Trent, Giorgi and Kofi average 22-28 mins and Feliz,Jones and Griffin get 15-20 mins...DW and Kipper should get @ 5-10 mins maximum..
JMHO, and I have watched and replayed games since DW got here and this opinion is my own and not to single DW out, but many here think of DW and hope for more HRF play from him...That isn't happening and we need to give TJ and AG a FAIR shot at extended mins as they actually can score and make the opponents defense respect them..
I think minutes for this season will be tough to predict because we have 10 guys who all have a shot to play. That said, I'll be surprised if DMW is much below 15 min/game. He rebounds and defends well, and Underwood obviously trusts him. It's also not out of this world to think his offensive game can still improve since he was only a sophomore last year. We just saw Aaron Jordan have two productive years after spending his first two years looking like he could shoot but somehow missing everything.

100% agree that IF AG and TJ are playing D at the same level as DMW then AG and TJ should get the minutes. Alternatively if DMW shoots at least 33% from 3 and far exceeds AG and TJ on defense he WILL get more minutes than them.

RE Kipper, if BBV or Kofi underperform Or are NOT ready, Kipper is all we have at the 4 and our season will hinge on his defensive ability.

I think minutes for this season will be tough to predict because we have 10 guys who all have a shot to play. That said, I'll be surprised if DMW is much below 15 min/game. He rebounds and defends well, and Underwood obviously trusts him. It's also not out of this world to think his offensive game can still improve since he was only a sophomore last year. We just saw Aaron Jordan have two productive years after spending his first two years looking like he could shoot but somehow missing everything.
I agree with this. DMW is getting substantial PT based on defense and rebounding. If Jones or Griffin can play lockdown D and rebound they will get all of the minutes they can handle. As I've mentioned in other posts Griffin has a knack for being in the right place to get rebounds and steals. If he can play BU defense he gets plenty of PT. I think Tevian has upside as a threat to finish in the lane whereas Griffin is mostly an outside threat but really defense and rebounding will determine their minutes.

I agree with this. DMW is getting substantial PT based on defense and rebounding. If Jones or Griffin can play lockdown D and rebound they will get all of the minutes they can handle. As I've mentioned in other posts Griffin has a knack for being in the right place to get rebounds and steals. If he can play BU defense he gets plenty of PT. I think Tevian has upside as a threat to finish in the lane whereas Griffin is mostly an outside threat but really defense and rebounding will determine their minutes.
You hit every point, plus DW is just big enough and w/wingspan can plug in 1- gulp... 4 again if necessary, he'll get minutes.

It seemed to me that Griffin was playing good defense by the end of the season but was not shooting well. Based on his performance in Italy he has corrected that as expected plus rebounding was exceptional. Both rebounding and shooting were exceptional in HS so don't believe it will not continue. Wondering if either he or DMW have quickness to guard a PG. could really wear on a team if you throw Trent, then Dre, then one of these guys on their PG. Suspect there are going to be several new wrinkles in our defensive system, at least I hope so as last year's didn't work so well.

That doesn't leave open the possibility that DW improves. It's been known to happen for upperclassmen before, see Chris Gandy and Quinn Richardson for a couple examples.

It seemed to me that Griffin was playing good defense by the end of the season but was not shooting well. Based on his performance in Italy he has corrected that as expected plus rebounding was exceptional. Both rebounding and shooting were exceptional in HS so don't believe it will not continue. Wondering if either he or DMW have quickness to guard a PG. could really wear on a team if you throw Trent, then Dre, then one of these guys on their PG. Suspect there are going to be several new wrinkles in our defensive system, at least I hope so as last year's didn't work so well.
One thing I forgot to mention is that it will be interesting to see how much zone we play this year and how that might affect both play and play time for several players.

blackdog

Champaign

Biggest thing for Griffin will be cutting down on turnovers and playing under control. He acknowledged that was a big issue last year. Hopefully having some experience will help him slow it down because you could tell the body was moving a lot faster than his mind at times.

Biggest thing for Griffin will be cutting down on turnovers and playing under control. He acknowledged that was a big issue last year. Hopefully having some experience will help him slow it down because you could tell the body was moving a lot faster than his mind at times.
I have a feeling both Griffin and Tev will have a better feeling for things this year.

Tophe

Middle TN
Is P12 network available to stream? I have some crappy Comcast package that lets me stream ESPN and BTN2Go... am I likely to get the Arizona game also?
Sling (Orange with Sports Extra) and Fubo both stream the PAC-12 Network. You could do a free trial and catch the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.