Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This might be a hard question to answer if you have no previous observation for comparison, but does Kofi look leaner or move more fluidly than you expected?
He's just BIG. You are right in that I have no previous comparison, but when Giorgi & Kofi played head to head Giorgi looked small. The ball movement drills I watched gave a flavor of how they want to move the ball to the open man for the shot, but also seemed designed to get the ball to Kofi for the dunk or easy shot. Kofi looks to be in shape to me & moves well without the ball. But let me say it again, He is BIG!!

Supposedly Hamlin has shown "some" rim protecting ability early, might get some spot minutes at the 5.

Supposedly Hamlin has shown "some" rim protecting ability early, might get some spot minutes at the 5.
Ebo averaged 10 mins and Hamlin looks at least as skilled as he was. Of course we had a lousy record during that period. Even 5 mins may help but believe it won't be much if the opinions of BBV are correct.

Ebo averaged 10 mins and Hamlin looks at least as skilled as he was. Of course we had a lousy record during that period. Even 5 mins may help but believe it won't be much if the opinions of BBV are correct.
I'm hoping for the same but, until he's practicing, he's this years Anthony Higgs, no offense to anyone. Also getting behind in learning the system.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8896

D
Hamlin showed limited offensive skills Saturday , but he is a rim protector & Underwood did seem to like It when he got after the ball & blocked shots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamlin showed limited offensive skills Saturday , but he is a rim protector & Underwood did seem to like It when he got after the ball & blocked shots.
Hamlin is not going to see the court in a B10 game for meaningful 2019-20 game if we are a top tier B10 team. I dont think he would for any good power 5 team. His biggest contribution is in practice and of he improves drastically then maybe in 4 years. I wish him the best but what other offers did he have? That says a kit as to what my expectations are. I hope i am wrong.

Hamlin is not going to see the court in a B10 game for meaningful 2019-20 game if we are a top tier B10 team. I dont think he would for any good power 5 team. His biggest contribution is in practice and of he improves drastically then maybe in 4 years. I wish him the best but what other offers did he have? That says a kit as to what my expectations are. I hope i am wrong.
Me too.....we're going to need a few minutes, agree to see.

Me too.....we're going to need a few minutes, agree to see.
If he can play defense and rebound, he will see minutes. There will be games with foul trouble and size with the opposition. He didn't put up big numbers and was late developing so coaches were not aware of him. We have offensive players but our biggest problem is defense.

If he can play defense and rebound, he will see minutes. There will be games with foul trouble and size with the opposition. He didn't put up big numbers and was late developing so coaches were not aware of him. We have offensive players but our biggest problem is defense.
Totally disagree. We have other guys that can compete in all phases. How much did Samba play in meaningful games last season? Almost never the later half of the year and now we have more options than then. Samba left and didnt get a top offer and he is better than JM. How deep do you feel our rotations will be? JM will be the last big on our bench and likely wont play. He is not ready yet and that's why he was headed to prep school. This is really the first offer I am not to excited about because I feel he is a short term practice player. Some playersxwill only play in blow outs. Its unrealistic to expect all scholarship players to play meaningful minutes. I hope he improves but h.c ecwould be the first guess to transfer next season.

Last edited:
Totally disagree. We have other guys that can compete in all phases. How much did Samba play in meaningful games last season? Almost never the later half of the year and now we have more options than then. Samba left and didnt get a top offer and he is better than JM. How deep do you feel our rotations will be? JM will be the last big on our bench and likely wont play. He is not ready yet and that's why he was headed to prep school. This is really the first offer I am not to excited about because I feel he is a short term practice player. Some playersxwill only play in blow outs. Its unrealistic to expect all scholarship players to play meaningful minutes. I hope he improves but h.c ecwould be the first guess to transfer next season.
Hope he doesn't have to play, but has big advantage over Samba in weight and strength. Also suspect big difference in desire. Agree he is the last big off the bench but it is a short list. Giorgi, Kofi, Ben ahead unless you consider Kipper and Tevian as bigs which I don't. My big question is Ben. Posters are high on him and I just haven't seen anything to agree or disagree but he is hurt and not practicing so he is my Higgs.

ChiefGritty

Chicago, IL
If Hamlin can play, I'd call that bank-shot good news. There are only minutes for him if Giorgi and Kofi are able to be on the floor at the same time for long stretches, which means both that Kofi is useful and that Giorgi has learned to shoot, and if those things happen, we're going to be a very good basketball team.

you got more excited about Higgs and Matic??
so you got more excited over Higgs and Matic than Hamlin??? i don't see why...

you got more excited about Higgs and Matic??

so you got more excited over Higgs and Matic than Hamlin??? i don't see why...
Yes, h Higgs had other offers for power 5 schools he just got sick. He had strong offers from us, Va Tech, Ole miss, Ga, Louisvilke Colorado He actually decommitted to Ole Miss. What other offers did Hamlin have? He was headed to prep school correct? Do you expect Hamlin to play? I do not see it.
The 5 will be played by Kofi, GB and Ben if needed. Then we will play zone. I just do not expect us to see such a raw talent get playing time for a good B10 team like i think we are. Higgs just was dealt a bad health issue or he would be still here.

Last edited:
Yes, h Higgs had other offers for power 5 schools he just got sick. He had strong offers from us, Va Tech, Ole miss, Ga, Louisvilke Colorado He actually decommitted to Ole Miss. What other offers did Hamlin have? He was headed to prep school correct? Do you expect Hamlin to play? I do not see it.
The 5 will be played by Kofi, GB and Ben if needed. Then we will play zone. I just do not expect us to see such a raw talent get playing time for a good B10 team like i think we are. Higgs just was dealt a bad health issue or he would be still here.
i don't see Verdonk playing the 5 at all and unless Kofi and Georgie can play all year without foul trouble then yes I fully expext Hamlin to play at least 5 to 10 min a game..Where is Higgs now???

jmilt7

Waukegan

Remind me again, who is JM? It sounds as if you are referring to Hamlin. Is there a reason we are calling him JM? Did I miss the memo?

Status
Not open for further replies.