Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside the Hall releases a Big 10 top 25 player ranking every year.

#20 - Frazier
#14 - Giorgi B
#5 - Ayo

Let's go!

Frazier could easily be our best player, too. After his freshman year, it wasn't a stretch to consider him a top ...10?... player going forward.

Hamlin has to play zero minutes or have a season ending injury to redshirt, right? Or did they change the rule?
The way I understand it, there is no"decision" to redshirt. There is an intention to redshirt. And you (and if course the coach) can change your mind and June in at any time in the year.

whether you actually had a redshirt season is determined after the season is over. Play 0 minutes and you had a redshirt season. Play at all and you did not have a redshirt season.

Two comments
Exhibition games do not count, so this is staff's and Hamlin's chance to see game time play.
How of is it that football players can go 4 games and basketball 0 minutes?

Looking for some help here...I'm planning on attending both games on the AZ trip (@GCU on 11/8 and @AZ on 11/10). What is the best way to secure tickets as a fan of the visiting team?

• Does Illinois get allocated tickets that I can buy through the Alumni Association or DIA?
  • Do I need to buy directly from GCU and AZ?
  • Or is it a total crapshoot and I should just look at the secondary market when the games get closer?
I suppose worst case I can have my son who's a freshman at GCU buy tickets, but then I'm stuck as a lonely orange dot in a sea of purple, right in the student section :)

You can have him buy mine then maybe you won't be lonely by yourself in a purple haze Jimi says....

#20 - Frazier
#14 - Giorgi B
#5 - Ayo

Let's go!

If this is where they are ranked at season's end--Ayo is 1st team B!G, Giorgi is 3rd team and TF is HM. That would be good for 4th place in the B!G and a 5 seed.in the Dance or better. Throw in Kofi as an all B!G frosh and things get real interesting.

Deleted member 29907

D

#20 - Frazier
#14 - Giorgi B
#5 - Ayo

Let's go!
Looking forward to Ayo, Trent and AF taking Winston's lunch money again this year...

#20 - Frazier
#14 - Giorgi B
#5 - Ayo

Let's go!

Full List:
1. MSU
2. Maryland
3. Michigan
4. PSU
5. ILLINI
6. MSU
7. Maryland
8. Iowa
9. OSU
10. Michigan
11. MSU
12. Purdue
13. Wisconsin
14. ILLINI
15. Iowa
16. Michigan
17. Purdue
18. Wisconsin
19. Purdue
20. ILLINI
21. MSU
22. Minnesota
23. OSU
24. Indiana
25. PSU

Teams with most Players (ordered by first appearance):
MSU: 4
Michigan: 3
ILLINI: 3
Purdue: 3
Maryland: 2
PSU: 2
Iowa: 2
OSU: 2
Wisconsin: 2
Minnesota: 1
Indiana: 1

Assigning 25 points to #1 and 1 point to #25, Teams with most “points”:
MSU: 65
Michigan: 49
Maryland: 43
ILLINI: 39
Purdue: 30
Iowa: 29
PSU: 23
Wisconsin: 21
OSU: 20
Minnesota: 4
Indiana: 2

No matter how you look at it Illinois has a good chunk of the top talent in the league this year.

If this is where they are ranked at season's end--Ayo is 1st team B!G, Giorgi is 3rd team and TF is HM. That would be good for 4th place in the B!G and a 5 seed.in the Dance or better. Throw in Kofi as an all B!G frosh and things get real interesting.
Don't know how you got the seeding or rank, but I'm ok with the thoughts....don't forget the wings.

That happened in late May/early June, so he'll have a solid 4 months to get that healed. I would think he'd be good to go for the season.
If he can figure out the playbook/system quickly...a challenge for new players for us under BU.

If he can figure out the playbook/system quickly...a challenge for new players for us under BU.

I expect this “challenge” to be greatly diminished since we have so many returning players that know the system to help teach it in practice. It’s way easier to pick up on a system if everyone around you is already working within it than if everyone is trying to figure it out together!

Not a Woodcock fan, but he very well may be right, considering Giorgi's age.

Can't stand his writings, or the format either. That said, I would find it easy to think that Giorgi, might make the "it's time to help my family-mother out financially" route at this point. I actually could see GB being a fairly good NBA player and obviously an excellent European player as well. Either way the $$$ will be there for him easily then.

I suppose the reasoning for that would be if GB is going to be graduated, he's probably in a completely justifiable position to be ready to move on to pro ball wherever that may be and make some money.
He could’ve moved on to Pro ball in Europe after last year, I think. Bonus points for not counting as an American on the rosters (I think there are limitations). Would be a good question for a reporter to ask...what’s his plan/ career aspirations?? Could have his eye set in the grandest prize, NBA.
Didn’t read article in case some of this was discussed.

I will be very surprised if the defensive system isn't tweaked. Also need some offensive tweaks to maximize Kofi. Assuming it is much easier to install variations once the basic system is understood by most of the players. He has successfully recruited a variety of pieces, now he has to demonstrate his coaching is up to BIG standards.

Soulberries

University of Illinois
Here's an interesting article in which the author states his belief that GB is gone after the 20-21 campaign.

https://writingillini.com/2019/09/26/illinois-basketball-daron-holmes-receives-offer-illini/
I don’t put much credence in anything written by Rees Woodcock as It usually reads like junior high newspaper sports reporting and never reveals anything new. He’s spouting his opinion but doesn’t give any insight as to why he says it. I, for one, am not worried about Giorgi and won’t be until he gives some indication of plans to leave early.

Last edited:
He could’ve moved on to Pro ball in Europe after last year, I think. Bonus points for not counting as an American on the rosters (I think there are limitations). Would be a good question for a reporter to ask...what’s his plan/ career aspirations?? Could have his eye set in the grandest prize, NBA.
If he plays the 4 as well as he played the 5, he is NBA material. He must prove he can shoot and handle the ball. This year big for him.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
If Giorgi finds a consistent shot this year, he will get to the Association. Maybe not after this year, but for sure after his Jr. year.

But not with a degree. I was thinking he wanted to stay until the degree is secured and then go. And that might be a little early.

Status
Not open for further replies.