Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
TRank has us as a 9 pt favorite against GCU and 2.8 pt dog against AZ.

jmilt7

Waukegan
@ #21 AZ.
Just did a quick look at their incoming class, and they certainly have talent:

#9 PG
#13 SF
#40 PF
Previous year they had a pair of 4 stars, and they still have Chase Jeter, who made over 57% of his shots. Gonna be a big road test.
Yeah, and they seem especially stoked over Nico Mannion. Played for the Italian National team last year or sometime

@ #21 AZ.
Just did a quick look at their incoming class, and they certainly have talent:

#9 PG
#13 SF
#40 PF
Previous year they had a pair of 4 stars, and they still have Chase Jeter, who made over 57% of his shots. Gonna be a big road test.

Looks like they had three 4 star recruits previous year (maybe one was a high 3*). But of those one has already left the team, one only averaged 11 mpg and 3.3 ppg last year, and the best one -- Brandon Willliams is out for the year. With Williams' injury it means they won't have 4 of the 5 tops scorers from last year as well as their top two assist guys. Like you said, they have talent coming in and you didn't mention Max Hazzard, grad transfer from UC-Irvine. He was Irvine's leading scorer and averaged 21 points in their first two NCAA tourney wins last year. The good thing is that the Illini will be only Arizona's second game of the year. Just need to give those freshmen a much tougher introduction to college than Northern Arizona is likely to.

Looks like they had three 4 star recruits previous year (maybe one was a high 3*). But of those one has already left the team, one only averaged 11 mpg and 3.3 ppg last year, and the best one -- Brandon Willliams is out for the year. With Williams' injury it means they won't have 4 of the 5 tops scorers from last year as well as their top two assist guys. Like you said, they have talent coming in and you didn't mention Max Hazzard, grad transfer from UC-Irvine. He was Irvine's leading scorer and averaged 21 points in their first two NCAA tourney wins last year. The good thing is that the Illini will be only Arizona's second game of the year. Just need to give those freshmen a much tougher introduction to college than Northern Arizona is likely to.
Need to win this one big! BU needs to prove his defense works and it should be easier with a team that hasn't played him before. This game will tell us a lot.

Does anyone have any practice footage? or know where it can be found?

Where we have what, 8 of our top 9 scorers back and add a top 50 C ourselves. Let's teach those freshman that they aren't in HS any more.

Yeah, and they seem especially stoked over Nico Mannion. Played for the Italian National team last year or sometime

Nico Mannion is the real deal, and he will play Ayo tough, the kid doesn't back down and is a bonafide Pro player when he wants to go which will probably be after 1 year at AZ.

UncleBob

San Clemente, CA
Nico Mannion is the real deal, and he will play Ayo tough, the kid doesn't back down and is a bonafide Pro player when he wants to go which will probably be after 1 year at AZ.

I concur. Mannion is a stud. Saw him score over 50 vs. 2nd same team they beat for AZ State Championship last winter. But so is Ayo. Potentially an epic battle.

Need to win this one big! BU needs to prove his defense works and it should be easier with a team that hasn't played him before. This game will tell us a lot.

Not right away. We might win by 20 and come out of it feeling really good, just to learn later in the year that Arizona isn't good. Or vice-versa. Luckily for us, Gonzaga plays @Arizona on Dec 14th. We'll know quite a bit more after that game.

But I'm excited to see the extreme overreaction, win or lose, against an Arizona team that most people don't know much about. Too many new faces.

But I'm excited to see the extreme overreaction, win or lose, against an Arizona team that most people don't know much about.

Reputation is a wonderful thing....think if Ayo didn't establish himself last year, we would be looked at in the vein that we are so far this year? AZ is the same, longer period obviously, but they have built the reputation and as a result, get the pass at times of being possibly better than they may have been. Lets hope our new found reputation is justified, and the AZ one is a mirage this year...if so, we beat them quite handily imo, due to the experience level of guards vs ours...TF will be our X-Factor here!

I concur. Mannion is a stud. Saw him score over 50 vs. 2nd same team they beat for AZ State Championship last winter. But so is Ayo. Potentially an epic battle.

Ayo gets the edge, no comparision imo, but Mannion will hold his own and try to will a win from his other teammates...we win 81-70!

breadman

Herndon, VA
Thanks to everyone on the heads up on Mr. Mannion. I don't follow this stuff as closely as many of you. Keep up the great work! Now, really looking forward to the game.

How fast does the Northwestern game in Evanston usually sell out?

Over the past few years I haven't had a problem getting them a week or two in advance. I'm forgetting if they made more seating available at Welsh Ryan with renovations.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
To continue this, I just got my tickets for the game in Iowa City. Not a lot of tickets left from what I saw online. Might want to make that move soon if you want to be at that game.

Deleted member 8896

D
New Bleacher Report NBA 2020 mock draft out today does not have Ayo in top 30. Mannion listed at going #8.

These mocks can be all over the place. FWIW, here's Jeff Goodman's mock with Ayo going #10 and Mannion going #17.

https://watchstadium.com/news/jeff-...0-big-name-freshmen-top-the-class-10-21-2019/

Yeah, way to early. For yucks, I googled preseason NBA mock drafts for last year. Found 3 that were dated in October 2018. One had Ja Morant going 27th, another 21st, and one didn't mention him at all in two rounds. Also, I think all 3 had Nassir Little going in the top 5 (definitely top 10) and he ended up going 25th. A little Chicago flavor, all 3 had Daniel Gafford going mid-first round, and Bulls drafted him in 2nd round (38th).

These mocks can be all over the place. FWIW, here's Jeff Goodman's mock with Ayo going #10 and Mannion going #17.

https://watchstadium.com/news/jeff-...0-big-name-freshmen-top-the-class-10-21-2019/

A safe place to put Ayo would be approx 15-25 I think...Mannion will depend on his year. Ayo has already proven what he can do. NBA scouts love Mannion, been reported many times over, I really think Mannion will go higher due to pedigree, talent wise I think the two could drafted closely together though.

Mannion and Ayo might actually be the 4-6th best PG drafted this coming draft. I could see where he might struggle with a decision as well?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.