Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be a tough first weekend for the Illini. They will be tested. GCU, has a great venue for a college game form what i understand. Loud and passionate fans who i imagine will be fired up for an upset. Manion, can play. He does everything. Shoots well from 3, shoots off the dribble, goes to basket, fast, quick with ball and passes well. I don't know what Underwood will do, but i'd put Ayo on him.

Illini_1979

Oregon
This will be a tough first weekend for the Illini. They will be tested. GCU, has a great venue for a college game form what i understand. Loud and passionate fans who i imagine will be fired up for an upset. Manion, can play. He does everything. Shoots well from 3, shoots off the dribble, goes to basket, fast, quick with ball and passes well. I don't know what Underwood will do, but i'd put Ayo on him.
I thought maybe Feliz should guard Manion. But, then, what do I know? :noidea:

Ubderwood, may have Feliz guard Manion, i just like Ayo's length in the match-up. Assuming Manion runs the point maybe Feliz and Fraz will guard him.

Very interesting stat on defensive PPP.
Average 1.1
Average with Adonis and Giorgi on the floor together .86
That is the same no. that Michigan averaged. Bodes well for Kofi and Giorgi playing together and for a huge defensive improvement.

I'm not sure how much value that stat has. Did Adonis and Giorgi play for more than 30 seconds together per game? It's likely a statistical anomaly.

IbleedOandB2014

In BU we trust
Chattanooga
Fletcher is a great follow on Instagram. His recent post of the player jump improvements looks promising.

Where do people rank our S&C in the country? All the videos of guys getting bigger and doing more athletic things is nice, but has that really translated to the court?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, just seems like our S&C is probably just average in the P6 community.

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Where do people rank our S&C in the country? All the videos of guys getting bigger and doing more athletic things is nice, but has that really translated to the court?

Maybe I'm expecting too much, just seems like our S&C is probably just average in the P6 community.
Or it could be an elite S&C program, but you still need highly skilled basketball players to make shots and stop the other team from making them. Fletch just gets them into great shape.

Or it could be an elite S&C program, but you still need highly skilled basketball players to make shots and stop the other team from making them. Fletch just gets them into great shape.
Right, that was kinda my point of posting. I'm pretty pleased at the lack of muscular injuries the past few years, which I would have to imagine is a huge part of S&C.

As far as the conditioning aspect, seems like another really bright spot, though I would assume most D1 schools have that down to a science.

I just question all of these increases in verticals, or lifting 1000 lbs, if it doesn't translate to the court per individuals year over year. I just havent seen that.

Right, that was kinda my point of posting. I'm pretty pleased at the lack of muscular injuries the past few years, which I would have to imagine is a huge part of S&C.

As far as the conditioning aspect, seems like another really bright spot, though I would assume most D1 schools have that down to a science.

I just question all of these increases in verticals, or lifting 1000 lbs, if it doesn't translate to the court per individuals year over year. I just havent seen that.

AND we always hear how a player (Frazier, for example) has increased his vertical to 40 or 44 inches, BUT I haven't seen those verticals in a game situation.

We cant forget about Arziona's 5⭐ SF Josh Green either. I feel like he will create a matchup problem for Alan and Tevian.

Not sure if this was posted but Illinois is 23rd KenPom ranked program in last 22 years - the KenPom era. This is one place ahead of Michigan and two behind Purdue. Given the recent results, that seems high, but have to remember that most programs are up and down as well.

https://kenpom.com/programs.php

If you can't see it try link in this twitter post.

I find that misleading in the sense that we were coming off the nadir of our program in the early years, and UM was still suffering the fall-out of the fab-5 sanctions era with some failed coaches. The arcs over that time were almost opposite --seems almost coincidental that we wound up about the same.

Interesting going forward though --we seem to be gathering steam with Underwood, and Michigan has a new coach. Don't really care what UM does, just hope we're finally witnessing the resurgence of Illinois.

I find that misleading in the sense that we were coming off the nadir of our program in the early years, and UM was still suffering the fall-out of the fab-5 sanctions era with some failed coaches. The arcs over that time were almost opposite --seems almost coincidental that we wound up about the same.

Interesting going forward though --we seem to be gathering steam with Underwood, and Michigan has a new coach. Don't really care what UM does, just hope we're finally witnessing the resurgence of Illinois.

Doesn't Nadir mean the Lowest point? '97-'07 was probably the peak of our program.

Come on, Calvin. The 70s was our nadir. We finished 2nd in the B1G in '09.

I am not sure it is terribly misleading. If you rank teams by their least worst season of the KenPom era (our worst is 125 in 2016), we would rank 22nd behind such teams as Creighton (116), Stanford (112), Seton Hall (117), and better than teams such as North Carolina (137), Louisville (133), and Ohio State (155). Michigan's worst season is 146. So we haven't fallen as far as a lot of programs. If you think that the median scores are a better measure of consistency than average or least worst rankings, then you can compare median rankings. We would be tied for 26th. Using the programs mentioned above, Creighton (51), Stanford (40), Seton Hall (76) are below us in median ranking but more consistent, and North Carolina (9), Louisville (19), and Ohio State (19) all have obviously had a lot of good years compared to bad in that time.. Michigan's is 47. So in the Ken Pom era we have been ranked better than Michigan by average, least worst season and by median score. While this was obviously influenced as you say by the early results, their is a recency bias when we look at Michigan. Beilein's early results were less than stellar. He was a coach that learned how to be very successful at his school.

Status
Not open for further replies.