Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be especially nice, since he has historically been a defensive liability most of his career.
I remember rave reviews in his freshman year (when he was ineligible) about his ability to guard the 1-5. He has just never looked comfortable in BU's defensive system. It seemed like he wasn't really confident in knowing where he should be and it has affected his offensive game. Actually similar to Mark Smith.

I still think Hamlin will see 5-6 mins as BBV still not cleared to play and they will need defense. Maybe in a zone to simplify but they can afford to lose some offense but not defense if the opponents have size.
If he plays i will be shocked and i think we will not be as good as i thought.

Last edited:
If he plays i will be shocked and i think we will not be as good as i thought.

I agree. Samba only averaged 4.8 mpg last year in 18 games. The only reason he did that is because only other Big was gimpy kneed ADR. If Hamlin sees anywhere near that time and could be a disappointing season.

I agree. Samba only averaged 4.8 mpg last year in 18 games. The only reason he did that is because only other Big was gimpy kneed ADR. If Hamlin sees anywhere near that time and could be a disappointing season.
And Samba didnt see many if any meaningful minutes in B10 games. Did he even play the last half if the season? I dont believe he did. Samba likely wouldnt have played much with and Hamlin was not as good as he was. Imo January>Bernard>Samba>Hamlin and it's crazy how all that fell to what it did

I think you're wrong on both counts.
i should have said meaningful minutes. Do you think he is going to play 5 minutes or regularly or any in close B10 games? i dont. If he is that caliber then why didnt he have more offers or visits?

What do you base this on other than his wing span? What do you see that other D I coaches didnt? I think he can develop eventually but he is not like the other big men we were recruiting and i do not expect him to be this season. What are you basing this on to make you think he will positively impact B10 games as a freshman?

Last edited:
And Samba didnt see many if any meaningful minutes in B10 games. Did he even play the last half if the season? I dont believe he did. Samba likely wouldnt have played much with and Hamlin was not as good as he was. Imo January>Bernard>Samba>Hamlin and it's crazy how all that fell to what it did

Speaking of January he has been notified that he is officially not going to play D1 ball this year. New Mexico people thought that if he qualified he would have had a chance to start.

Speaking of January he has been notified that he is officially not going to play D1 ball this year. New Mexico people thought that if he qualified he would have had a chance to start.

Is he required to go the 2 year juco route or academic redshirt route?

Is he required to go the 2 year juco route or academic redshirt route?

Just strictly a guess plus who knows what with the NCAA will rule, but his 5th year at Hillcrest might qualify as one year out of HS so a second year is all that is required.

Samba only played 2.6 MPG in conference. Tyler Underwood got more at 2.9 MPG conference.

Samba only played 2.6 MPG in conference. Tyler Underwood got more at 2.9 MPG conference.
Bingo! I wonder how close the game was when he did? . I dont think they were close.Samba was a liability even on the team with no true 4 I dont think he played at all the last half of the season. I am just trying to have realistic expectations for a last second addition for a incoming freshman big man signed for his size and long term potential. m glad we have more options this season and Hamlin has time to improve and develop for the future. . Thanks for that info TC

Last edited:
Clearly, our biggest weakness is still post depth. We can debate our options, but there's no obvious ideal option.

Clearly, our biggest weakness is still post depth. We can debate our options, but there's no obvious ideal option.
We are in better shape than last season with Kofi and GB. Also, to me there is an ideal option and that is a healthy physical 6'8" 235lb skilled 4 in Verdonk that is advertised as having an all round inside out game. Now we just need to hope he is as advertised in tapes and like the players say hewas prior to this injury. So I feel ideally he has what no other player has physically at 6 8 235 and being able to bang inside and shoot it from the wing. No one on our team has that unless Tev put on a lot of muscle. Ideally and unfortunately BV maybe the only one that may be able to fulfill both of those needs But we do have players that can do one or the other.

Last edited:
We are in better shape than last season with Kofi and GB. Also, to me there is an ideal option and that is a healthy physical 6'8" 235lb skilled 4 in Verdonk that is advertised as having an all round inside out game. Now we just need to hope he is as advertised in tapes and like the players say hewas prior to this injury. So I feel ideally he has what no other player has physically at 6 8 235 and being able to bang inside and shoot it from the wing. No one on our team has that unless Tev put on a lot of muscle. Ideally and unfortunately BV maybe the only one that may be able to fulfill both of those needs But we do have players that can do one or the other.
First off, we are absolutely in better shape than last season.
Second, I agree that that's option 1, but there are plenty of question marks with BBV. Namely that he was late on campus, has been hurt and has sat out nearly every practice he's been on campus for. Even if you get 10-15 minutes out of him, that leaves you with at least 10 minutes to decide between undersized 4's vs. putting Hamlin out there.

First off, we are absolutely in better shape than last season.
Second, I agree that that's option 1, but there are plenty of question marks with BBV. Namely that he was late on campus, has been hurt and has sat out nearly every practice he's been on campus for. Even if you get 10-15 minutes out of him, that leaves you with at least 10 minutes to decide between undersized 4's vs. putting Hamlin out there.
Imo ideally it makes sense that if BV is skilled enough to be the first one off the bench then why would he only play 10 or 15 minutes a game if he is our best option? Whoever that IU s should get 20 easy. I expect that in close meaningful games our key starters will play over 25 minutes and closer to 30. In other games some others will be given experience. The 5 Kofi should play 25 with the rest by GB. At the four spot GB should get at least 15 plus. The first option at the 4 who ever that is should get a lot more than 10 to 15. If BV is the best option it stands to reason he should get all the time he can handle because if match ups. I dont know why our first 4 off the bench will only get 10 or 15 minutes with an opportunity for more. I dont expect 10 but certainly not11 players in the rotation.

i should have said meaningful minutes. Do you think he is going to play 5 minutes or regularly or any in close B10 games? i dont. If he is that caliber then why didnt he have more offers or visits?

What do you base this on other than his wing span? What do you see that other D I coaches didnt? I think he can develop eventually but he is not like the other big men we were recruiting and i do not expect him to be this season. What are you basing this on to make you think he will positively impact B10 games as a freshman?

I think he plays way more than 5 minutes and yes, I think he's 1st off the bench at the 4. I base this off of his size and physicality at 6'8" 235, he's B1G ready size wise, his 3 point shooting numbers, and his passing ability. He didn't have more offers because he played in an obscure place. I don't think other DI coaches saw him, so I don't think they rejected him, they just never discovered him. Kudos to the staff for finding him. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people, you included.

I think he plays way more than 5 minutes and yes, I think he's 1st off the bench at the 4. I base this off of his size and physicality at 6'8" 235, he's B1G ready size wise, his 3 point shooting numbers, and his passing ability. He didn't have more offers because he played in an obscure place. I don't think other DI coaches saw him, so I don't think they rejected him, they just never discovered him. Kudos to the staff for finding him. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people, you included.
If you are referring to BV I totally agree. I thought based on my post you responded to earlier hat you were saying like ga that Hamlin plays. I dont think he will. BV certainly will. We agree. Ga65 was saying Hamlin will play I disagree.
I think you missunderstood our original conversation Ga65 said Hamlin will play or 6 minutes a game. I dont think Hamlin plays at all in meaningful games and if he does we arent as good as I think we are.
I actually think we agree

Last edited:
Samba played 1 min vs Purdue when they scored 40 pts in the paint, and Giorgi fouled out in 22 mins. He was in BU's doghouse because there was no way that he wouldn't have helped. Jermaine is also a much different physical specimen than Samba. There will be matchups where he will be used IMO.

Samba played 1 min vs Purdue when they scored 40 pts in the paint, and Giorgi fouled out in 22 mins. He was in BU's doghouse because there was no way that he wouldn't have helped. Jermaine is also a much different physical specimen than Samba. There will be matchups where he will be used IMO.
You clearly think Samba is better than I did last season he needed to get better in practice too. If he is that caliber currently then were is he even playing? We shall see about this season. . Kofi is here to help now. This is a new season with new players I feel there are much better options. I've watched Illini basketball for about 50 years and I dont see us going 10 or 11 deep in our rotation this season and that's the only way in my opinion Hamlin could play in tight games vs teams like Purdue with were he sits on our current roster. We shall see. We clearly have different views but we are clearly diehard fans that want the best players in the floor and I hope BU is right because that's what really matters!

Last edited:

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Should we file this under we know you didn't get paid, so you couldn't get to play, so you said see y'all, and get to play right away at Depaul.....transfer rule?
It just rolls right off the tongue

You clearly think Samba is better than I did last season he needed to get better in practice too. If he is that caliber currently then were is he even playing? We shall see about this season. . Kofi is here to help now. This is a new season with new players I feel there are much better options. I've watched Illini basketball for about 50 years and I dont see us going 10 or 11 deep in our rotation this season and that's the only way in my opinion Hamlin could play in tight games vs teams like Purdue with were he sits on our current roster. We shall see. We clearly have different views but we are clearly diehard fans that want the best players in the floor and I hope BU is right because that's what really matters!
Don't disagree that we are way ahead of last year subbing Kofi for a semi cripple. Would like BBV to be the third man in the rotation. However worried about him not being cleared to play less than a month from the start of the season. I don't see Jermaine in a regular rotation but do see him as a situational piece. There will be games with foul problems and maybe injuries and we still don't have many choices to fill in. Ebo averaged 10 mins a game with similar depth.

Don't disagree that we are way ahead of last year subbing Kofi for a semi cripple. Would like BBV to be the third man in the rotation. However worried about him not being cleared to play less than a month from the start of the season. I don't see Jermaine in a regular rotation but do see him as a situational piece. There will be games with foul problems and maybe injuries and we still don't have many choices to fill in. Ebo averaged 10 mins a game with similar depth.
I thought you said 5 or 6 minutes a game not in an emergency senario. If that's the case sure
Here is what I expect as our rotation in close games.
-
1- Ayo, AF, Trent
2- Trent, AF, DW, AG
3- DW, AG, Kip ,Tev
4-GB, BV, Tev, Kip
5- Kofi, GB, BV and we zone

That's 10 guys and odds are it will be one less most games at the 3 for a 9 man group. Who starts at the 3 and who plays very little will be interesting.
Hamlin or Underwood would play in an emergency or blow outs. That is a pretty solid group. I would love if Tev is stronger and plays physical and could be the first guy at the 4 spot off the bench.

Less than a month away from start of the season. Bring on the Colonels. For yucks I thought I'd take a look at the Illini's first opponent Nicholls (guess they prefer not to use State now). Last year they finished 14-17 overall and 7-11 in conference. The lost their two leading scorers, and seem to go primarily the transfer/JC route for recruiting. They have 8 players listed on their roster who didn't play last year for Nicholls and have other schools listed as attended (West Virginia, NC-Wilmington, Ark-LR, Columbia St. CC, Savannah St., Charlotte, Pacific and Western Illinois). Not sure how many were sitting out and how many eligible this season. And they have only 4 players listed as taller than 6-5. Maybe Kofi gets a double-double in his first college game.

Andy Katz must have a crush on Illinois, we are listed in his Sweet Sixteen prediction.

He knows how big the die-hard fan base is and the lure of "shock" factor entertainment...thus jumping on the Band Wagon to generate more followers for himself. He knows how bad our fan-base will eat this stuff up, and he is right. So he is doing his job well, lets just hope he might be right, and not just spewing hyperbole to get more followers?

Status
Not open for further replies.