Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless he is ineligible due to grades, I’m hoping it’s short since it’s academic. Indefinite doesn’t sound good though.

If it was grade related from a previous term we would have known before today. For this semester, I haven't gotten my midterm grades yet so I don't see why Tev would have.

Doesn't the athletic dept get frequent updates from an academic counselor?

illini80

Forgottonia
My first thought was it might be for not attending class. Seems a little more than that though the way it reads. No matter the reason, it doesn’t bode well for Tev’s future here. Hope he gets things figured out. He has the talent to be a major contributor.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
At least we have football.

source.gif

The Recruit

The Eternal Optimist
Denver, CO
Hoping Tev can get things sorted out with his academic suspension. I believe the young man has so much potential, but he keeps having trouble off the court. I get nervous about these things because they can be taken by young student athletes that things aren't working the way they thought, and it might be best to have a fresh start elsewhere. I have a bad feeling that this could be something more (transfer wise) following this season, but I obviously hope I am wrong. Hope the young man can get it sorted and have an amazing season to keep the fire lit!

Wonder if this is a suspension from all team activities (practice??)......or just game(s) suspension.....hopefully he can continue to practice and not lag to far behind the rest of the team

Deleted member 3329

D
This years roster is sooooo deep that the Illini will still be fine. Jones has not lived up to his billing anyway....maybe this will motavate him!?

Didn't he get suspended before the season last year too? Missed 8 games or so? I can't imagine this ending well.

This years roster is sooooo deep that the Illini will still be fine. Jones has not lived up to his billing anyway....maybe this will motavate him!?

Well, this puts us down to 10 eligible scholarship players. One of those is BBV who is only now starting to practice. It will likely take him a few weeks to get up to speed. Another is Hamline who would have redshirt written all over him if we had adequate depth. Remember, his original plan was to go to prep school this year and changed his mind shortly before the start of the year when he got our offer.

The difference between “Good Kipper” and “Bad Kipper” just became a WHOLE lot more important as far as our season is concerned.

As for Jones, I’ve got no problem with a second chance for last season’s transgressions, but at some point you need to put on your big boy pants and respect the opportunity you’ve been given.

Deleted member 524120

D
1st quarter just finished, my son was struggling. Got it up and he's still playing football. He's suspended for grades and no other reason till next half quarter. Not drugs. Some young men struggle at top universities. He'll be good in 6 weeks when half quarter over, unless he gives up.

As for Jones, I’ve got no problem with a second chance for last season’s transgressions, but at some point you need to put on your big boy pants and respect the opportunity you’ve been given.

This is kind of where I’m at with Jones. From a human perspective I hope he figures it out and takes advantage of the opportunity and talent he has. As a fan I don’t have much sympathy and am kind of over it. I hope he gets things taken care of and will support him as I would any player should he do so and get back on the floor. But I’m not going to worry about or give much thought to him now.

I’m not suggesting that is how the team should feel or deal with this — they should be supporting him and working to get through to him. Jones has made a commitment to Illinois and though he isn’t living up to it that doesn’t mean Illinois shouldn’t live up to its commitment. Just from a personal perspective I’ll save my sympathy and thoughts for Illini players like Epstein and Dudek.

Didn't he get suspended before the season last year too? Missed 8 games or so? I can't imagine this ending well.
Nor I. I hope I am wrong. He and AG are the two I most hope have a break out season.

Status
Not open for further replies.