Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve been watching illini b-ball for 40 years... I can’t think of an Illini forward who had a freshman campaign better than Georgie
Efrem Winters was very good as a freshman, Brian Cook was no slouch, Augie was pretty good, the original Mark Smith had a good freshman year...

ILL in IA

Iowa City
Maybe he just hides it well with his 3 piece suits on the sideline, but is Frank Martin in Ok health? It looks like hes put on a few pounds.

I wonder if Frank gave BU any pointers on just how he secured a commitment from Tugs Bowen.:)

There was a discussion here recently about Nico Mannion and how hyped Arizona is about him. I have been reading many similar articles about Franz Wagner and that Michigan is expecting big things from him. Thought this might be of minor interest. Do we play Michigan in the next 4 to 6 weeks? ;)

Michigan basketball's Franz Wagner to miss 4-6 weeks with fractured right wrist
Franz is NOWHERE near the caliber prospect Nico is. A lot of that is Michigan fans trying to push a narrative, plain and simple.

Martin shares thoughts after Illinois scrimmage

“Brad kind of schemed a little bit to defend us,” he said. “Our guys had to learn. They weren’t letting us do certain things to let us play offense a certain way so we had to play. I was real happy we were able to do that. The last couple years we would have gotten stagnant but yesterday we kept playing. I was happy to see that.”

The Illini, Martin said, operate at “a hundred miles an hour” offensively with how they execute sets, and thinks his defense did a good job for the most part this weekend.

"Yesterday we committed more fouls than we needed to. That’s something we talked about today. I think that’s part of it being young guys and our defensive mindset of aggression and trying to understand a team coming at them a hundred miles per hour. I don’t mean a hundred miles per hour coming up the court but how they cut, how they pass, how they screen. We were there; we just used our hands for the wrong reasons. We committed fixable fouls.”

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/martin-shares-thoughts-after-illinois-scrimmage

Martin shares thoughts after Illinois scrimmage

“Brad kind of schemed a little bit to defend us,” he said. “Our guys had to learn. They weren’t letting us do certain things to let us play offense a certain way so we had to play. I was real happy we were able to do that. The last couple years we would have gotten stagnant but yesterday we kept playing. I was happy to see that.”

The Illini, Martin said, operate at “a hundred miles an hour” offensively with how they execute sets, and thinks his defense did a good job for the most part this weekend.

"Yesterday we committed more fouls than we needed to. That’s something we talked about today. I think that’s part of it being young guys and our defensive mindset of aggression and trying to understand a team coming at them a hundred miles per hour. I don’t mean a hundred miles per hour coming up the court but how they cut, how they pass, how they screen. We were there; we just used our hands for the wrong reasons. We committed fixable fouls.”

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/martin-shares-thoughts-after-illinois-scrimmage

why does SC look so much bigger than us....?
1572296033096.png

I love that the scoreboard operator has the score as 196 (home) to Zero (Guest) for the picture. A great dig from Martin to Underwood. If you eliminate No 20, size doesn't look much different. But looking at their online roster #20 on jersey doesn't fit. I think he's Wildens Leveque 6'11'', 230 Fr, just looks bigger with his hair and being at the front of the picture.

But no matter, reports are, we won.

Well if you look at the guys on the right they are all standing closer to the camera. Our guys are further back.

I think it is this. According to roster on South Carolina website, #5 is listed at 6-4, 211 lb, #12 at 6-2, 217 and #20 at 6-7, 260. So height-wise not really bigger though seem to be pretty solidly build.

jmilt7

Waukegan
I am not exactly lying awake at night thinking about this but I was just curious, are/were Grandison and Hutcherson allowed to play in this? Like I said, not a big deal and it means nothing in the grand scheme of things but I was just wondering.

I love that the scoreboard operator has the score as 196 (home) to Zero (Guest) for the picture. A great dig from Martin to Underwood. If you eliminate No 20, size doesn't look much different. But looking at their online roster #20 on jersey doesn't fit. I think he's Wildens Leveque 6'11'', 230 Fr, just looks bigger with his hair and being at the front of the picture.

But no matter, reports are, we won.

I think Wildens is in back just to the right of Kofi. Based on skin tone and pictures on SC website #20 is too light skinned to be Wildens and most likely is Alanzo Frink.

Status
Not open for further replies.