Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
should we abandon BU's "high-pressure" defense altogether???!!!

Stephen F. Austin stuns No. 1 Duke, 85-83 in OT. DURHAM, N.C. ... The underdog Lumberjacks and their high-pressure defense took over at Cameron Indoor Stadium as No. 1 Duke lost its grip on everything: The ball, the game, its prized home-court winning streak and, ultimately, the nation's top ranking.

I'm a bit concerned because it seems that Arizona will be the best opponent we faced in our nonconference

Wouldn't worry too much, by the time the B1G ends up beating up on each other, as we do every year there will be enough quality wins/losses. There are presently 7 teams either in Top 25 coaches poll or getting votes.

sacraig

The desert
Wouldn't worry too much, by the time the B1G ends up beating up on each other, as we do every year there will be enough quality wins/losses. There are presently 7 teams either in Top 25 coaches poll or getting votes.

Also consider that we are currently 38 in KenPom and there are still 7 B1G teams ranked ahead of us in those rankings and all but one B1G team is in the top 100. We have plenty of quality wins left on the board for the taking.

should we abandon BU's "high-pressure" defense altogether???!!!

Stephen F. Austin stuns No. 1 Duke, 85-83 in OT. DURHAM, N.C. ... The underdog Lumberjacks and their high-pressure defense took over at Cameron Indoor Stadium as No. 1 Duke lost its grip on everything: The ball, the game, its prized home-court winning streak and, ultimately, the nation's top ranking.

I'm actually very surprised that we have. All last year posts on here said it wouldn't work because we didn't have a big guy to protect the rim. Now we have that and the defense is gone. I keep thinking they'll pull it out at some point -- maybe an important stretch in B1G? -- but nothing so far.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I'm actually very surprised that we have. All last year posts on here said it wouldn't work because we didn't have a big guy to protect the rim. Now we have that and the defense is gone. I keep thinking they'll pull it out at some point -- maybe an important stretch in B1G? -- but nothing so far.
On the other hand, we are staying out of foul trouble. I do realize it is easier to do against opponents that are mostly over-matched.

All things being equal, I'd have preferred sticking with the pressure D, but given the short bench this team has I can see the argument for toning it down. (The hand-wringing about how it's a failed system that could never work is still wildly overblown, IMO.)

I have not yet watched last night's game, but it looked like they installed a new wrinkle against Hampton. When they successfully forced the ball to the sideline (something that they've emphasized all year), they brought a second defender up from the baseline to trap and rotated one or two defenders from the weak side to cover. It was almost like they switched mid-possession from straight man to an aggressive matchup zone that reminded me a bit of UNLV's amoeba zone from back in the Shark Tank days. Not quite as much run-and-jump as UNLV, but it was an interesting look.

It'll be interesting to see how they adapt the D to better competition. It's way easier to just stay in front of your man and force them to shoot over you when you have an overwhelming athletic advantage. They won't have that most of the time in the B1G.

all but one B1G team is in the top 100.

Good info, hadn't realized this...speaks to the power in Power 5 B1G conference. All will have some losses no one really wants, but as a whole this year this conference will look really good from top to bottom come selection day.

Good info, hadn't realized this...speaks to the power in Power 5 B1G conference. All will have some losses no one really wants, but as a whole this year this conference will look really good from top to bottom come selection day.
B10/ACC challenge will tell us a lot.

Believe it is important to vary the defense to keep the opponent off balance and BU has some experience to do more of that this year. Would love to see the pressure defense utilized for short periods like to start the game or after the half. Seemed to use the last game to vary his offense by not using Kofi as the first option and turning the shooters loose. It makes the opponent prepare for more options.

To recap:
You can’t play Giorgi and Kofi together.
Kofi will play less than 20 mins per game
Giorgi and DaMonte can’t shoot
Tevian will start
Giorgi can’t play the four
BBV will play 20 mins per game
Our defense will still suck
DaMonte will see very few minutes

Did I miss anything? May still be true but doesn’t appear to be at this point.

A 2-1 record against the 3M's would be a huge win for us!!

3 gigantic games in 10 days for this Team... we have got to defend our home court! I know people are thinking Michigan looks scary good right now, but I think we match up very well, and if we can just win out at home over these next 3 games, it will do a lot for the overall outlook of this team going forward...

Last edited:

3 gigantic games in 10 days for this Team... we have got to defend our home court! I know people are thinking Michigan looks scary good right now, but I think we match up very well, and if we can just win out at home over these next 3 games, it will do a lot for the overall outlook of this team going forward...

Agreed on Michigan 100%

Gotta win a couple of games like Michigan at home if we want to dance, though. Missing both Nebraska and Minnesota on the road is a bad break for us. It’s tough to see a path forward if you don’t win seven or maybe eight at home this year.

Michigan shooting +40% from three and Teske in the paint with Livers, Wagner and Castleton for help. Would be great win for us but I will be surprised if we are not substantial underdogs.

Gotta win a couple of games like Michigan at home if we want to dance, though. Missing both Nebraska and Minnesota on the road is a bad break for us. It’s tough to see a path forward if you don’t win seven or maybe eight at home this year.

With this talent pool there’s really no excuse for dropping any home games against unranked opponents.

With this talent pool there’s really no excuse for dropping any home games against unranked opponents.
Michigan will be ranked by the time we play them and the AP isn’t doing a great job of evaluating the second tier of the B1G this year, but yes, this team should mostly defend its home court.

but I think we match up very well,

Michigans best help on offense/defense will come from a position we are not very solid at currently (Livers). We match up and exceed them at guard position, we give probably a little on interior. We have Kofi/Giorgi, they have more numbers possibly there.

Status
Not open for further replies.