Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed that in Lunardi's latest Bracketology he has Illinois as an 11 seed and matched up against DePaul in a play in game. Obviously looking for a higher seed than that for the Illini, but that would make for an interesting game.

Just noticed that in Lunardi's latest Bracketology he has Illinois as an 11 seed and matched up against DePaul in a play in game. Obviously looking for a higher seed than that for the Illini, but that would make for an interesting game.

Would be great to simply get back in, that said, I really think we should strive to get into the 8 range for seeding. Should be possible with a 3 game win swing coming up..... ;)

I'm in Raleigh and a car drove by me, in the parking lot of a Starbucks, with a N C license plate: I-L-L. I loved it and tried to get their attention. LOL

Has BU & co. stated why they've backed off the pressure so much this season?

Not advocating for or against necessarily, and maybe as we get better we shouldn't need or use it, but it's what turned the game around yesterday.

Last season, when the NCAA average was 34.4% from three, opponents shot 33% us. This season the NCAA average is 33.0% and opponents are shooting 34.9% against us. That takes us from 91st to 232nd in 3 point defense.

Last season, when the NCAA average was 34.4% from three, opponents shot 33% us. This season the NCAA average is 33.0% and opponents are shooting 34.9% against us. That takes us from 91st to 232nd in 3 point defense.

Stats don't lie...the defensive schemes have got to change. I am all for zone this year.

Stats don't lie...the defensive schemes have got to change. I am all for zone this year.

Especially with the length we have. Coach needs to get Tev on the floor. Playing the last 12 games cold after the rest of the league is warm is not helpful.

illini80

Forgottonia
John Groce winning more tournament games at Illinois than Brad Underwood means I need a new hobby. Clearly, I understand nothing about this sport after following it for decades.
Kind of what I’ve been thinking about since the game. Most of us think Underwood is a better coach than Groce. Well, it’s about damn time he shows it. This staff has certainly recruited some better athletes, but it has yet to show on the court.

There are no “change the culture” excuses at this point.

Kind of what I’ve been thinking about since the game. Most of us think Underwood is a better coach than Groce. Well, it’s about damn time he shows it. This staff has certainly recruited some better athletes, but it has yet to show on the court.

There are no “change the culture” excuses at this point.

Through the first 8 games of their 3rd year

Underwood--32-41 .438
Groce--50-29 .633

This roster looks better than any Groce constructed, but, at this point, I would trust John Groce coaching this current team more than I do Underwood. Hope that changes soon.

CAIllini

West Coast
Anyone know what rough date Tev might come back if his indefinite suspension is purely academic and tied to the fall semester (presuming he fixes his grade issues this semester)? I'm also of the opinion that getting him back in the rotation at the 4 could re-balance things and solve a lot of our defensive woes....

From the online calendar it seems like it could be anywhere from 12/11 - 1/3:

December 11
  • Last day of instruction
December 12
  • Reading day (no classes, no final examinations)
  • Last day for GRAD to add/drop POT B course without petitioning Graduate College
  • Last day for GRAD to add/drop semester course without petitioning Graduate College
December 13–20
  • Final examination period
January 3 at 2:00 PM
  • Faculty deadline for reporting grades. Students can view final grades the following day via Student Self-Service

------------------------

Ideally we'd get him back for Missouri, or at the latest by MSU:

12/7 - at Maryland
12/11 - Michigan
12/14 - Old Dominion
12/21 - Missouri
12/29 - North Carolina AT&T
1/2 - at Michigan State
1/5 - Purdue

Hope he's been getting his act together and is raring to go if/when he gets reinstated. I haven't really noticed him on the bench, has he been there? Dressed or street clothes? Engaged?

illini80

Forgottonia
Anyone know what rough date Tev might come back if his indefinite suspension is purely academic and tied to the fall semester (presuming he fixes his grade issues this semester)? I'm also of the opinion that getting him back in the rotation at the 4 could re-balance things and solve a lot of our defensive woes....

December 11
December 12
  • Last day for GRAD to add/drop POT B course without petitioning Graduate College
  • Last day for GRAD to add/drop semester course without petitioning Graduate College
December 13–20
  • Faculty deadline for reporting grades. Students can view final grades the following day via Student Self-Service

------------------------

12/7 - at Maryland
12/11 - Michigan
12/14 - Old Dominion
12/21 - Missouri
1/2 - at Michigan State
1/5 - Purdue

Hope he's been getting his act together and is raring to go if/when he gets reinstated. I haven't really noticed him on the bench, has he been there? Dressed or street clothes? Engaged?
Pretty sure he was on the bench dressed last night. Only caught a quick glimpse and thought it was him.

Whitmans Sampler

Eastern Iowa

December 11
December 12
December 13–20

------------------------

12/7 - at Maryland
12/11 - Michigan
12/14 - Old Dominion
12/21 - Missouri
1/2 - at Michigan State
1/5 - Purdue

Tev has been on the bench all games (except for Arizona trip) and has appeared in good spirits each time I’ve seen him on screen. Street clothes a few times but lately he’s been wearing Illini sweats & sweatshirt. Looks to me like he’s still very invested in the team and is eager to get back on the court. Hope it’s soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.