Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think the staff needs to start looking at bigs to replace Kofi? I wonder how the staff views a succession plan for him

And potentially for Giorgi too.

Interesting to me that both Giorgi and Kofi were the 3/4 options on outstanding winning teams and BU has them as 1/2 options with great success. Wonder if he has another next year with a 6’10” wing not highly ranked.

Thank Rutgers. Giorgi's HS school approached Rutgers and Rutgers told him they had no spot for Giorgi.

But then I wonder which other school has an OA. IMHO, the other side of the = sign.

I may still be buzzing off of seeing my beloved Illini take down #5 in person (first win I have ever seen at State Farm Center...) but after that performance, who in the B1G can't we beat? I firmly believe there are no unwinnable games for us in conference this year (Ohio State may be the exception) and that is a damn refreshing feeling.
I agree with you, but this team has lost plenty of winnable games over the past few years and continues to this year. I'll be convinced that's a thing of the past if they win 5 of next 6 with only loss @ MSU. If they win all 6 I'll begin thinking they have top 3 B10 potential. That's just my personal take.

Illwinsagain

Cary, IL
I agree with you, but this team has lost plenty of winnable games over the past few years and continues to this year. I'll be convinced that's a thing of the past if they win 5 of next 6 with only loss @ MSU. If they win all 6 I'll begin thinking they have top 3 B10 potential. That's just my personal take.
Honestly, if we win 5 of 6, I don't care who the loss is to (OK, as long as it is not an non-con). Losing at WI, but beating MSU and Purdue, works for me just fine. The reason for NOT non-con, Mizzou, enough said, and the other 2 would just be embarrassing.

We haven’t had this talent level in years. Should be a completely different scenario. That said it is tough to win on the road in the BIg for whatever reason. It is what makes the loss to Miami so terrible. We got beat at Maryland by a couple of terrific plays with the long three and then the steal. The Miami loss was just ugly and not defensible by either staff or players.

Every B1G road game is going to be tough. That's why Illini have to win every game at home and then hope to win one or two on the road. Even Wisconsin, which hasn't played that well thus far, is a much better team at home. Really need to win that Northwestern away game in February.

I pretty much agree with everyone, and am in general very high on this team. The Maryland game upsets me more than the Miami one. They played that game to win, and choked it away at the end. Kentucky and Duke lost at home to teams they should've won easily against on paper; that happens. If Miami ends up being an anomaly then it's not going to make a difference year end. If we end up on the bubble because there's multiple Miamis this year, than all these close games are gonna be lamented.

These next 6 games, I think, will give us a good idea of what type of season this will be.

Saw a Black SUV in Raleigh with license a NC plate I - L - L. Please respond. I thought I was the biggest Illini Fan in Raleigh area.

Interesting to me that both Giorgi and Kofi were the 3/4 options on outstanding winning teams and BU has them as 1/2 options with great success. Wonder if he has another next year with a 6’10” wing not highly ranked.

Maybe the plan all along was to see if they could get Kofi to the league in 1 year, then move Giorgi back down low and bring in Hamlin for relief and let Hawkins roam up high and on the wing (he is a noted passer)? If Kofi doesn't go, even more time to get Hawkins in fold and learn than rush him through the system learning and physical transformation?

Maybe the plan all along was to see if they could get Kofi to the league in 1 year, then move Giorgi back down low and bring in Hamlin for relief and let Hawkins roam up high and on the wing (he is a noted passer)? If Kofi doesn't go, even more time to get Hawkins in fold and learn than rush him through the system learning and physical transformation?
I like Hawkins long term but I don't see him being effective in the Big Ten until he really adds to that skinny frame.

I like Hawkins long term but I don't see him being effective in the Big Ten until he really adds to that skinny frame.
Never going to look like Kofi but a different piece that may be very effective. Like Giorgi and Kofi not first offensive option in HS and therefore not highly rated but I like his clips and by this time next year could be much stronger. Hoping he is in addition to Kofi. Competition for time next year will be intense with Curbelo, Miller, and the two transfers competing for time.

Don’t miss Castleton or Okoro but Liddell or Holyfield would have been a nice addition, particularly Liddell.

I like the way our winter break schedule looks this year. We get to play @MSU and @Wisconsin with their students gone. Still tough games but huge advantage for us. We do have to play Purdue at home with our students gone, but then our other home games are against Rutgers and NW which we should beat no matter how quiet our home crowd is.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Beat Miznoz, scUM again, and Iowa twice....and I'll wrap my car in orange!

Beat Miznoz, scUM again, and Iowa twice....and I'll wrap my car in orange!

I do wraps!! This is my truck!
IMG_6872.JPG
IMG_6873.JPG
IMG_6874.JPG
IMG_6874.JPGIMG_6873.JPGIMG_6872.JPG

During BU interview on BTN last night he mentioned Giorgi’s natural position is 4, and he‘s played 3/4 his whole life. Also, acknowledged some adjustment pains earlier this year playing with Kofi, but seems pretty happy with Giorgi at the 4.

During BU interview on BTN last night he mentioned Giorgi’s natural position is 4, and he‘s played 3/4 his whole life. Also, acknowledged some adjustment pains earlier this year playing with Kofi, but seems pretty happy with Giorgi at the 4.
Believe Giorgi really makes Kofi better and never been any question in my mind about them playing together. Just didn’t believe Kofi would be that good at avoiding fouls but I may be speaking too early.

blackdog

Champaign
I like the way our winter break schedule looks this year. We get to play @MSU and @Wisconsin with their students gone. Still tough games but huge advantage for us. We do have to play Purdue at home with our students gone, but then our other home games are against Rutgers and NW which we should beat no matter how quiet our home crowd is.

Don't sleep on Rutgers this year. They are dangerous.

Steelyunk

Tobacco Road
The way it is looking, it might be more likely that we beat MD and MSU at home and lose to Rutgers and PSU on the road. Especially concerned about PSU. Hopefully, we have really turned the corner.
And now Rutgers is beating seton hall #22 by 20.

illini55

The Villages, FL
Did you see Rutgers play today????

Status
Not open for further replies.