Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 points in the Coaches Poll today. I wonder what being ranked would do to this teams psyche?

illini80

Forgottonia
Would be a negative. While I expect to finish the Non Con correctly, I hope we are not ranked going into B1G play.
Personally, I agree. This team has yet to show they have the mental toughness to handle it and still play inspired basketball. Hopefully that comes, but in the mean time I’d rather they feel disrespected and have a chip on their shoulder. Some will scoff, but it worked for Jordan.

4 points in the Coaches Poll today. I wonder what being ranked would do to this teams psyche?
Hopefully I hope they are mature enough to realize rankings while exciting and fun really mean diddly right now. I remember us beating Magic and MSU and being 16 or 17 and 0 and not even making the dance. Take one game at a time, play hard, smart avoid injuries and worry about rankings you have earned in March.

Last edited:
Personally, I agree. This team has yet to show they have the mental toughness to handle it and still play inspired basketball. Hopefully that comes, but in the mean time I’d rather they feel disrespected and have a chip on their shoulder. Some will scoff, but it worked for Jordan.
Agreed, I want this team to hear loud and clear that a win over Michigan doesn't mean much, they still have work to do just to get back to where people thought they should be at the start of the season, let alone to get where this team believed it should be at the start of the season. So much work left to do.

Tweet mentioned that it was an Illini record # of 4 FOW awards, I wonder if it is a B!G FOW record too?? If not, who had more??

Tweet mentioned that it was an Illini record # of 4 FOW awards, I wonder if it is a B!G FOW record too?? If not, who had more??
I was just looking at it yesterday, Sullinger had 12 (of 17 mind you)! 4 others came in tied for second with 7.

Wow. Wonder if Kofi can break Sullinger's record.
I would think the schedule will make it very tough. By my count we have 5 more weeks with only 1 game. If he doesn't win any of those (which he certainly could but will likely be tougher) he has to win all the other weeks to break the record (can miss 1 and still tie).

Someone posted in the NBA draft thread that Kofi is not doing much better statistically than other top BIGs in the conference, but he seems like more of a load than any bigs we've faced on AZ or MI. 4 of 6 FotW awards is testimony enough.
---
Was hoping to put up a thread on our tourney resume, but somehow I lost my thread posting privileges. Opps, not sure what I might have done. Anyway, without researching everything, I think we're in better shape than most posters have said. Our overall SOS is weak, but we don't have any terrible losses (Miami is obviously our worst, with a NET ranking of 89). AZ and MD are excellent near-certain tourney teams. Michigan gives us a top-25 win. Our NET ranking is a very respectable 32. We seem to be getting better, and I'm hopeful we can win a game or two on the road.

The thing I find most interesting, though, is what a wide open year this is. There isn't a dominant team in the entire country. If you use Kenpom stats, the top team(s) are typically +30 points better than an average D1 team. OSU is the top team currently, and it's weaker than any #1 in any year in the Kenpom era. For reference, our 2005 team was +32.68, and the North Carolina team that beat them for the national championship was +32.77. The top 10 this year start at +21.36 for Purdue up to OSU at +27.04. Should be the craziest year in a long time.

What's the 'official' things the committee looks at when selecting schools for the tournament? I know theres a list out there...

Someone posted in the NBA draft thread that Kofi is not doing much better statistically than other top BIGs in the conference, but he seems like more of a load than any bigs we've faced on AZ or MI. 4 of 6 FotW awards is testimony enough.
---
Was hoping to put up a thread on our tourney resume, but somehow I lost my thread posting privileges. Opps, not sure what I might have done. Anyway, without researching everything, I think we're in better shape than most posters have said. Our overall SOS is weak, but we don't have any terrible losses (Miami is obviously our worst, with a NET ranking of 89). AZ and MD are excellent near-certain tourney teams. Michigan gives us a top-25 win. Our NET ranking is a very respectable 32. We seem to be getting better, and I'm hopeful we can win a game or two on the road.

The thing I find most interesting, though, is what a wide open year this is. There isn't a dominant team in the entire country. If you use Kenpom stats, the top team(s) are typically +30 points better than an average D1 team. OSU is the top team currently, and it's weaker than any #1 in any year in the Kenpom era. For reference, our 2005 team was +32.68, and the North Carolina team that beat them for the national championship was +32.77. The top 10 this year start at +21.36 for Purdue up to OSU at +27.04. Should be the craziest year in a long time.
If we still have a NET of 32 following the BTT, does that guarantee us an invite to the Dance?

If we still have a NET of 32 following the BTT, does that guarantee us an invite to the Dance?
Yes practically speaking. Also, assuming we are at least within a game of .500 in conference. It’s obviously not codified in the rules though.

What's the 'official' things the committee looks at when selecting schools for the tournament? I know theres a list out there...

If you want a source for NET ranking, I use This

The bracketmatix is a really good source for projections of who's in, and who's on the bubble. Of 15 brackets updated after our Michigan win, we're in 7. Overall they have us in the next 4 out. Pretty crude at this stage, but gives you an idea.

Krombopulos_Michael

Aurora, Illinois (that’s a suburb of Chicago)
I know it’s early, but as BU said previously there will be plenty of opportunities moving forward. As it stands there are 10 remaining Q1 games (of course that could change)
Capture.PNG12.17.PNG

I know it’s early, but as BU said previously there will be plenty of opportunities moving forward. As it stands there are 10 remaining Q1 games (of course that could change)View attachment 5350
Thanks for posting the table. Finish non-con 8-2 (linden wood doesnt count), and then go .500 in conference while avoiding losses to NW and Nebraska; 18-12. That’s bubble territory with a heavy lean on being in based on strength of schedule and conference, imo.

Only 5 times has a team had an RPI of 32 or better and missed the tournament.

1997 Texas Tech due to forfeits
2006 Missouri State, Hofstra
2007 Airforce
2008 Dayton

I know you said NET but RPI has the history and the ranking is what I presume to be relevant opposed to the metric itself.

Noticed Kentucky is #58. North Carolina at #95. Wonder if they will make it?:cool:

Probably have to change the system.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.