Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8896

D
Thought about Kofi at the Mavs/ Spurs game tonight. Chris Webber said during the game that he thought the Mavs should post up Porzingus more down low. When asked afterwards Coach Rick Carlisle said that the team is much better off with their 7’3” center shooting threes than posting up down low. Stats show seven years ago there were many players including Dirk Nowitzki who averaged more than 10 touches down low. Now, there is only one NBA player, Joel embid, who is averaging over 10. Mavs announcers said that the modern nba game requires the big men to be more skilled in their long range shooting, defending away from the basket, & handling the ball outside the paint. I think that this train of thought would tend to keep Kofi here for At least one maybe two more years to get ready for the show.

one maybe two more years

^^^^^^ this would seem to be the case, typical Big Man in NBA is for most part a thing of the past.

He also needs to develop at least a consistant 8-10 ' shot and work on ball possession through entire play as well.

I think if Kofi gets good advice and doesn’t have true hardship family issues, he’ll be back for at least one more year if not two. There are holes in his game and remember in the 5 games he’s played against Power 5 teams he’s averaged 3.5 rpg less than his season average.

On paper Illini are still fine.

No way.

I thought our resume was over-valued before Missouri, when our NET ranking was 32nd. We were in less than half the bracket projections at that time. It's down to 48, and we could well have 2 losses to non-tourney teams. We're now in the "receiving votes" category, outside the bubble. The only way we make the dance is to play better than we have. The biggest obstacle, in my mind, is that teams playing like us lose a lot of winnable road games.

When you don't have desire and toughness at the level of a tourney team, it's hard to develop it. Someone on the team needs to bark at these guys, and lead by example with 110% effort. What few post-games I've heard confirm what I see on the court. I think this team will have some good games, but without a collective epiphany, or a leader really getting on the other players, we're at best, NIT bound. The opportunities are there, but the non-conf has shown us we play down to lesser teams, and have a difficult time putting together 40 good minutes of hard fought bball.

I really hope coach or someone on the team can motivate these guys. With almost half the season gone, I'm much less optimistic of a turn-around. Talent is there, and sometimes it only takes the light going on for one player to lift the whole team (Ayo?)

Needs to lead with a New Better Attitude, because that is what it will take for him to make the 1st round after this year. Ayo needs to lead, he needs to play co-alpha dog with Trent, they both need to push the issue of driving and kicking the ball out for 3's and everyone has to be willing to take a good/big shot and not pass it around the horn until someone has to be willing to take a bad/forced shot?

JFGsCoffeeMug

BU:1 Trash cans:0
Chicago
[We] need to push the issue of driving and kicking the ball out for 3's

Does this game plan still apply when we are really bad from 3-pt range?
BigTen3pt.png

View attachment 5384

Yes it actually does, as Kofi/Giorgi when getting the ball down low, only look to score. Kofi especially is young both in age/playing time, he does not yet know the nuances of a double/triple team kickout for a high % 3, instead of the last second/end of shot clock 3's that happen more often than not and account for the largest portion of that stat.

Giorgi is just so damn good down low with footwork/release points, it is hard to argue he should kick it out, but in actuality if he did when the defense collapses, trent/ayo/griffin would get much better looks.

Same thing applies to the guards, the only penetration that really happens is forced on breakaway, or along baseline and throwing to other side when airborn. Once could argue the latter is not effective as every team does it and gameplans for steals etc.

17-13 seems to be the ceiling this year? Not sure where we can possibly get the wins, unless we are forced to win B1G C-Ship to get in? Better than previous years, but still, pretty much the same as Weber's last year here.

Yes it actually does, as Kofi/Giorgi when getting the ball down low, only look to score. Kofi especially is young both in age/playing time, he does not yet know the nuances of a double/triple team kickout for a high % 3, instead of the last second/end of shot clock 3's that happen more often than not and account for the largest portion of that stat.

Giorgi is just so damn good down low with footwork/release points, it is hard to argue he should kick it out, but in actuality if he did when the defense collapses, trent/ayo/griffin would get much better looks.

Same thing applies to the guards, the only penetration that really happens is forced on breakaway, or along baseline and throwing to other side when airborn. Once could argue the latter is not effective as every team does it and gameplans for steals etc.
It would also help if there was more movement off the ball when it goes in the post.

It would also help if there was more movement off the ball when it goes in the post.

100% agree, our guards are stagnant, except when they are not, last second/hero ball/over penetrating and charges/turnovers/blocks occur. For as hard as our team plays/practices, it sure seems as if something is amiss more often than not?

View attachment 5384
For whatever reason we have the wrong people with the green light from 3. Ayo, Kipper, Damonte, and Feliz are combined 18 of 80. That’s brutal to have 7 3FGAs per game from those guys. Damonte and Kipper are a combined 3 for 27. Hideous.

I know he’s supposed to be our star, but he needs to narrow his focus on what he’s good at during these games.

Trent, Giorgi, and Alan are the only ones that should have the green light right now. Kipper and Damonte never, and Ayo and Feliz only when they’re on their spot, set, and open.

No way.

I thought our resume was over-valued before Missouri, when our NET ranking was 32nd. We were in less than half the bracket projections at that time. It's down to 48, and we could well have 2 losses to non-tourney teams. We're now in the "receiving votes" category, outside the bubble. The only way we make the dance is to play better than we have. The biggest obstacle, in my mind, is that teams playing like us lose a lot of winnable road games.

When you don't have desire and toughness at the level of a tourney team, it's hard to develop it. Someone on the team needs to bark at these guys, and lead by example with 110% effort. What few post-games I've heard confirm what I see on the court. I think this team will have some good games, but without a collective epiphany, or a leader really getting on the other players, we're at best, NIT bound. The opportunities are there, but the non-conf has shown us we play down to lesser teams, and have a difficult time putting together 40 good minutes of hard fought bball.

I really hope coach or someone on the team can motivate these guys. With almost half the season gone, I'm much less optimistic of a turn-around. Talent is there, and sometimes it only takes the light going on for one player to lift the whole team (Ayo?)

I basically agree with you which is why I said “on paper”. The non-con is almost over, and assuming Illini win remaining non-con they should be top 40 NET which puts them on the good side of the bubble. Obviously, it’s a shame they aren’t higher, but I think that’s pretty close to where they were expected to be.

All teams are flawed and working on it in practice. Illini are no different in that hey need to improve; I totally agree with you on that.

Someone posted sarcastically pre-Miami game about the season being over if they lost. I replied that, yeah, the season that people were hoping for of not being on the bubble all year would be over, and it is. They’re a bubble team. They need to prove it in conference play, and if they go .500, they should be in.

assuming Illini win remaining non-con they should be top 40 NET

North Carolina AT&T has no value. Why do you think it will pull us up 8 slots?

Conference is strong, so .500 will be solid. I'm not getting my hopes up though because you can lose so easily on the road unless you can take a few punches and still play hard --something we don't do often enough. And conversely, I think the upper tier teams can beat us at home for the same reason.

I get why Underwood plays guys the way he does, but I think he'd be better off shaking things up when the team doesn't show enough fight and attitude. I'd want to yank guys for lack of effort more often and reward the ones on the bench who are showing more fight, even when their not the ones you'd ultimately want to have as your best 5. That's me though -- I'd rather lose sending a message about what that uniform means than lose the same old way. And I think in the long run, if you let players cut corners, those become habits. My sense is that Underwood focuses mostly on each game and moment individually, rather than looking at how those moments get guys focused over the course of the season.

I realize it's an impossible task --you need to know what motivates each and every player, and not destroy their confidence or have them coast once they taste success. But I still expect him to figure it out --that's why he's the coach.

North Carolina AT&T has no value. Why do you think it will pull us up 8 slots?

Conference is strong, so .500 will be solid. I'm not getting my hopes up though because you can lose so easily on the road unless you can take a few punches and still play hard --something we don't do often enough. And conversely, I think the upper tier teams can beat us at home for the same reason.

I get why Underwood plays guys the way he does, but I think he'd be better off shaking things up when the team doesn't show enough fight and attitude. I'd want to yank guys for lack of effort more often and reward the ones on the bench who are showing more fight, even when their not the ones you'd ultimately want to have as your best 5. That's me though -- I'd rather lose sending a message about what that uniform means than lose the same old way. And I think in the long run, if you let players cut corners, those become habits. My sense is that Underwood focuses mostly on each game and moment individually, rather than looking at how those moments get guys focused over the course of the season.

I realize it's an impossible task --you need to know what motivates each and every player, and not destroy their confidence or have them coast once they taste success. But I still expect him to figure it out --that's why he's the coach.
Great thoughts...I have similar mindset about rotations, my only reservation is ensure we avoid fouls, which we have done well at...possibly at the expense of fighter mentality.

Xfactr

Lake Forest, IL
It’s funny people thinking Ayo as a first round draft pick. He’s a complement player and definitely hasn’t shown that he is first rounder so far. His draft status probably dropped after this pre Big Ten series of games. Is he the go to guy when the “Chips” are down?

Keep feeding the Bigs!

My impression is that this board doesn’t put much weight into Kenpom but it’s interesting that 12 of the B1G teams are in the top 53. Illinois is 11th with only Rutgers, Northwestern, and Nebraska begins. Rutgers is also right on our tail...

What are the odds of the B1G getting 10 bids this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.