Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

IlliniKat91

Chicago, IL
Just my opinion, but I don't want to see anyone run off this roster to make room for Whitney. He is not a shooter, and to play small forward for the Illini, you have to be able to shoot well and dependably. Jones has a good stroke and can develop into that kind of player with some pt, love, coaching, and confidence. If Whitney has never been a shooter, he likely never will be. Also, there is no guarantee that he will fit into team chemistry with his opinion of himself and his game or his willingness to make team success first priority. We have that now and running anyone off to make room for him is a huge gamble with likely failure. BU and staff know what they want and have proven willing to look anywhere to find those types of players. I am developing some trust in that, as well as their willingness to adapt to B1G coaching philosophies and junking what has proven does not work. I will give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their finding good kids who will work hard to learn the game....but I do not think KW is in their future plans. He needs to learn a lot about how the game is played at the top levels of college hoops, and it is quite different from the professional game. By the way, there are very, very few small forwards or big guards in pro ball who can't shoot pretty darn well.

I think Jones' situation is the same regardless of Whitney. There's been speculation he'd be leaving long before Whitney announced he was leaving Kentucky.

A Whitney success story is a very interesting

A Whitney success story coming here out of high school (if) choosing us would have had some weight to it. I would almost say that now though if he did choose us and succeed, it might actually make the school optics in Chicago look even better than if he had chosen us initially.

Good Will, take one of your own, get him success, make him part of the family after the fact kind of thing...

Just my opinion, but I don't want to see anyone run off this roster to make room for Whitney. He is not a shooter, and to play small forward for the Illini, you have to be able to shoot well and dependably. Jones has a good stroke and can develop into that kind of player with some pt, love, coaching, and confidence. If Whitney has never been a shooter, he likely never will be. Also, there is no guarantee that he will fit into team chemistry with his opinion of himself and his game or his willingness to make team success first priority. We have that now and running anyone off to make room for him is a huge gamble with likely failure. BU and staff know what they want and have proven willing to look anywhere to find those types of players. I am developing some trust in that, as well as their willingness to adapt to B1G coaching philosophies and junking what has proven does not work. I will give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to their finding good kids who will work hard to learn the game....but I do not think KW is in their future plans. He needs to learn a lot about how the game is played at the top levels of college hoops, and it is quite different from the professional game. By the way, there are very, very few small forwards or big guards in pro ball who can't shoot pretty darn well.

Whitney hit ALL his threes in his highlight video, in addition to some killer dunks. On top of that he has a very high recruit ranking. Why would you trust the staff?

/s

there is no guarantee that he will fit into team chemistry with his opinion of himself and his game or his willingness to make team success first priority.

There is no guarantee that he wouldn't either, and in fact I would bet after the I would assume humbling experience at Kentucky, he may not look at himself or his game in the same light as he once did.

All I know about Whitney is what I read here, and that is a guy that could hack it at UK so is thinking he might just go pro. Sorry, I will pass on that. Our team has finally developed some chemistry and character, and we seem to have found the "Fight" that has been missing for a decade in the Fighting Illini. With who we have coming in next year, we will not be lacking in talent. Sure, Ayo will be a loss (and I respect what Dre and Kipper bring) , but put a year on all the returning guys, and I think we will be even better, and then throw in the new guys we have committed.

I love the character this team shows on the road. We are a tough out. We can beat a team in a number of ways, and that is valuable at the year end when everything is so highly scouted, and in the NCAA when a bad matchup can kill an otherwise good team. The team's weakness seems to be that we do not shoot well, especially the three, but we shoot well enough given all the other things we do, and we have some help coming in the shooting regard.

The unfortunate passing of Arch is a reminder to all of us about how things used to be. We were blessed with most of three decades of teams that were talented, talent was developed, reloaded their talent, mostly had good chemistry, and usually had a swagger. We are on a good path to getting back there.

This is interesting. Shaq was listed at 7'-1" and 294. Kofi is listed at 7'-0" and 290, but I would wager he's lost 12-15 pounds since getting on campus due to conditioning (Same thing could have been true of Shaq his first season or two at LSU, if you watch highlights of him there and in high school he's much thinner than his mid-late NBA career). Below is a comparison of Shaq and Kofi's freshman years.

Fresh.MPGFG%FT%PPGRPGBPGFouls
Shaq28.257.3%55.6%13.912.03.63.8
Kofi27.355.6%67.6%15.09.72.23.2

Kofi's numbers compare better than I expected to Shaq, given how dominate Shaq was while in college. Let's hope Kofi can make a sophomore leap like Shaq did where he averaged this:

Soph.MPGFG%FT%PPGRPGBPGFouls
Shaq31.562.8%63.8%27.614.75.02.8
Kofi???????
I like Kofi and he is an Illini and has only been playing 3 years. However, Shaq was much more aggressive, dominant, and dunked everything in close. I love Kofi and he can improve and has played well but as well as he has done Shaq was one of a kind. The game was a lot more physical with hand checking and more pushing and Shaq would still score and dunk it on everyone. Shaq and Chris Webber were a dunk ready to happen so often when they got the ball near the basket. That is what i keep want from Kofi. I think he can get there.

Whitney hit ALL his threes in his highlight video, in addition to some killer dunks. On top of that he has a very high recruit ranking. Why would you trust the staff?

/s
Because they are winning with a lot of low ranked recruits?

Kofi is more skilled than Shaq at that age. Shaq couldn’t shoot from 5 ft. And certainly not from the ft line. Not sure how you judge the athletic ability as Kofi moves pretty well.
I love Kofi but no way. Its pretty clear to me that Shaq was more skilled, could dribble ,had footwork and better than Kofi at everything except FTs and avoiding fouls. Shaq could use the glass well from the sides. It would be foolish for him to shoot outside the paint because with the physical game back then no one could stop him. I hope Kofi gets better but i seriously doubt he has the athletic ability, skill or ceiling that Shaq did. Kofi can be great, all B10 and a NBA player, maybe an Al Star but Shaq is one of the best college and pro players ever. Thats a lot of orange Kool Aid.

Last edited:
Let's talk outlook. Folks, this team is not a bubble team. On our very hands, we have a team that is going to be in many people's final four predictions. I know its been a while, but its officially here. If you're anything like me, you're having flashbacks to the 2005 team. Does that mean the Illini will absolutely make the final four? No, it doesn't. But that is the goal at this point. And why not us?

Deleted member 746684

D
Let's talk outlook. Folks, this team is not a bubble team. On our very hands, we have a team that is going to be in many people's final four predictions. I know its been a while, but its officially here. If you're anything like me, you're having flashbacks to the 2005 team. Does that mean the Illini will absolutely make the final four? No, it doesn't. But that is the goal at this point. And why not us?
I think a final four is possible, but if I were a betting man, I would say we're a 4 seed with a good shot at a sweet 16.

Retro62

North Bethesda, Maryland
I’m ecstatic about this season, I love how we are playing, and I love the players. What I feel really great about is our coaching. BU showed the kind of coach he really is...he adapted and learned how to capitalize on the players strength. Fantastic to not wonder how long a coach will last again.

This is not the same team as a month ago. TF has assume the point and Ayo is playing fast, stopping quickly and getting set to shoot his jumper from deep and mid range. He has been way more accurate and his jumper has been awesome since it seems to me he has made this minor change and isnt floating on his jumper. If he keeps this up he will be so tough to handle because he will blow by them, kill em from all levels, and pass to any of his teammates when double making us really good. I am excited we have top team if he keeps playing like that and Kofi and others just keep getting better.

Watching Baylor and Florida now and Dickey V giving the Illini and BU major props!

Deleted member 8896

D
Your kool
your kool aid is very strong!

The next 6 games are so brutal Minn - Penn State. I could see this or any team losing all 6. However the final 5 games
1. Nebraska 2. @ Northwestern 3. Indiana 4. @ OSU 5. Iowa
we could win all 5.

breadman

Herndon, VA
Can not get enough of this team! Keep it going you everyday guys!! It has been fun to watch!

Hmmm...You don't sound all that confident here. Sounds like a 50/50 thing rather than the no-brainer it should be?

I would assume it's one of those "let's focus on the season and figure it out after". Whitman shook up the staff pretty late in the year, BU was rumored to be pissed about it, but wanted to put full focus on this season. So nobody really knows what the repercussions will be because it's on the back-burner right now. Just reading the tea leaves.

I think a final four is possible, but if I were a betting man, I would say we're a 4 seed with a good shot at a sweet 16.

if we win the big ten regular season and make it to the tourney final I can’t see us being below a 2 seed; win both we have to be a 1. Best team from the best conference at that point.

but it’s a long season and the games have to be played. Big picture a 4 seed is still a great success for what we were wanting coming into this year. The fact that it could almost be a let down in some scenarios is just as encouraging.

Do games ever get rescheduled for national tv? We have 5 Sat/Sun games left. It would be a shame if we stay on top of the conference but don't get any of the national spotlight. Most of our games left are on BTN/FS1 but we should be playing on CBS/Fox/ESPN.

Also, we don't have any Saturday home games so no chance for College Gameday to come to Champaign. But we do play @Rutgers on a Saturday. I would think Gameday would love a chance to visit the RAC if both teams keep winning.

This is not the same team as a month ago. TF has assume the point and Ayo is playing fast, stopping quickly and getting set to shoot his jumper from deep and mid range. He has been way more accurate and his jumper has been awesome since it seems to me he has made this minor change and isnt floating on his jumper. If he keeps this up he will be so tough to handle because he will blow by them, kill em from all levels, and pass to any of his teammates when double making us really good. I am excited we have top team if he keeps playing like that and Kofi and others just keep getting better.

Watching Baylor and Florida now and Dickey V giving the Illini and BU major props!
Think this has anything to do with Gentry?

Status
Not open for further replies.