Illini Basketball 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdog

Champaign
On my phone, it’s difficult to bold text. However, just because pundits call it “Overachieving” does not mean it’s true. It’s only overachieving if it’s just based on hype. I saw we had the players and were going to make some real noise.

I really think there are very few teams that want to play us right now.

I think the context is overachieving based on preseason expectations and in that light this team is definitely overachieving.

Right now, they're just achieving. Come back in the March for Arch to find out if they are "overachieving".
I think the most important thing is the trend.....we were underachieving earlier in the season and we have gone on a tear recently. Teams have ups and downs over the course of a season and our win streak will likely come to an end at some point this season but the fact that our we have won six games in a row including three road wins means this team has improved significantly since the beginning of the season. Let's hope we continue to get better!

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
I didn't mean for that to sound like I'm underwhelmed. My point was that what we are seeing, IMO, is well within the expectations this team had (as far as they are concerned, maybe not all fans) before the season.

I think this team was capable of a B1G top tier finish from the beginning. Now, win the B1G and/or the B1G Tournament....perhaps we're overachieving.

The sky is the limit now.

I didn't mean for that to sound like I'm underwhelmed. My point was that what we are seeing, IMO, is well within the expectations this team had (as far as they are concerned, maybe not all fans) before the season.

I think this team was capable of a B1G top tier finish from the beginning. Now, win the B1G and/or the B1G Tournament....perhaps we're overachieving.

The sky is the limit now.
Skydub, If you are replying to me - I didn't take it that way at all. I just wanted to emphasize that the best play all year has been our most recent and that projects well into the future....Teams playing their best bball going into the tournament are very dangerous.

Deleted member 4333

D
My preseason prediction was 16 - 15. So, prepare yourselves for a 1 - 10 finish.

Seriously, my prediction was based on BU continuing to use his ineffective (failed) defensive and offensive systems. He's done some serious coaching this year and has the team has the team achieving at a level I didn't think possible.

Also, I had no idea a freshman center could have the impact that Kofi is having.

Go Illini!

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
My preseason prediction was 16 - 15. So, prepare yourselves for a 1 - 10 finish.

Seriously, my prediction was based on BU continuing to use his ineffective (failed) defensive and offensive systems. He's done some serious coaching this year and has the team has the team achieving at a level I didn't think possible.

Also, I had no idea a freshman center could have the impact that Kofi is having.

Go Illini!

Freshman in class year only. He is like 20 right?

Let’s find more of these 20 year old freshmen for our team.:thumb:

SampsonRelpenk

Edwardsville, IL
Taken from a free ESPN article dated 1/28
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...gest-overachievers-underachievers-top-leagues

Big Ten

Underachieving: Ohio State. In the same media poll, Chris Holtmann's team was picked to finish third. Ohio State, ranked 18th in the AP preseason poll, justified that buzz with an 11-1 start anchored by wins over Kentucky, Villanova and Penn State. Since then? The Buckeyes are 2-6. They've lost by 10 or more in five of their six Big Ten losses, including twice against Minnesota. They're shooting 37% from the 3-point line, the top mark in the league, and surrendering a 37% clip from the 3-point line, 13th in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes haven't fallen off the NCAA tournament radar, but they have to find a way to stop the free fall.
I think OSU this year is 2012-13 Illinois. Big start, big swoon, then a recovery to comfortably make the tourney.

For me the change in opinion came the Wednesday before practice started Thursday. Samba Kane is slobbering all over himself about gaining 20 pounds of muscle, quicker, faster, better leaper, etc. Can't wait for practice to start.

They practice Thurs and Friday. Saturday morning he enters the transfer portal. For him, Thurs and Friday practices were a four letter word that started with "K".

We are a year older and literally have added a freshman that caused a 7 foot soph to transfer after 2 days. I was intrigued.

Go Illini!
Really thought this team had first place talent but thought we required two things. More depth at the four because Giorgi would have to relieve Kofi because of foul problems. Kofi has been way above my expectations in minutes played as not normally in foul trouble. Kipper has also been capable in limited relief. Second thing was a defensive adjustment to take advantage of Kofi defensively. Thought BU had demonstrated effective recruiting but not coaching. His defensive adaptations have demonstrated he also has the coaching expertise. Ayo’s improvement has been the final catalyst but was counting on that. Ready to give Whitman full credit for a great hire.

skyIdub

Winged Warrior
Skydub, If you are replying to me - I didn't take it that way at all. I just wanted to emphasize that the best play all year has been our most recent and that projects well into the future....Teams playing their best bball going into the tournament are very dangerous.

Nah, no worries! I just re-read my post and thought it sounded a little off. More just correcting what was in my head.

BananaShampoo

Captain 'Paign
Phoenix, AZ
Really thought this team had first place talent but thought we required two things. More depth at the four because Giorgi would have to relieve Kofi because of foul problems. Kofi has been way above my expectations in minutes played as not normally in foul trouble. Kipper has also been capable in limited relief. Second thing was a defensive adjustment to take advantage of Kofi defensively. Thought BU had demonstrated effective recruiting but not coaching. His defensive adaptations have demonstrated he also has the coaching expertise. Ayo’s improvement has been the final catalyst but was counting on that. Ready to give Whitman full credit for a great hire.
Kofi is unlike any other Freshman big we've ever had at Illinois. College-ready size from Day 1. Just needed to gain some strength and coaching (enter Antigua). Amazing how's he's been able to play while fouling so little for a B1G newbie. So few are able to do that and hold their own. He's probably in the Top 3 rebounders this program has had...as a FRESHMAN! Pretty incredible really. Let's enjoy him as much as possible for the short time we'll have him.

Deleted member 8896

D
For me the change in opinion came the Wednesday before practice started Thursday. Samba Kane is slobbering all over himself about gaining 20 pounds of muscle, quicker, faster, better leaper, etc. Can't wait for practice to start.

They practice Thurs and Friday. Saturday morning he enters the transfer portal. For him, Thurs and Friday practices were a four letter word that started with "K".

We are a year older and literally have added a freshman that caused a 7 foot soph to transfer after 2 days. I was intrigued.
Heard from somewhere that Kane only practiced until he got his $ from his scholarship money and then surprised everyone by leaving. Don’t know if that is true, but if it is he only came back to school to get his small $ allotment.

On my phone, it’s difficult to bold text. However, just because pundits call it “Overachieving” does not mean it’s true. It’s only overachieving if it’s just based on hype. I saw we had the players and were going to make some real noise.

I really think there are very few teams that want to play us right now.

I picked us for top 5 in the league and 22-9 overall, but the guys are overachieving those numbers as we sit here.

Hoppy2105

Little Rock, Arkansas
In the midst of all the excitement this season is creating, I think we’re forgetting the biggest impact of making the tourney.

Walker can finally serve his suspension!

As a skeptic coming into this season I think the offensive adjustments BU has made are maybe not as flashy, but equally important. He's cut way back on the spread and worked on ways to get Ayo and Feliz the ball going downhill. Early in the season we were really force feeding Kofi, seemingly throwing off Ayo and Trent, but now everyone seems to be on the same page and comfortable. After years of watching nearly every game with no real joy it's great to genuinely look forward to them again.

This is why basketball is so much more important here then football. We sniff success for the first time in basically a decade and we sell out home games.

Status
Not open for further replies.